Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #37711
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I'd like to ride one of the crf's. Interesting to see if the lower posture lowers the COG much.
I know you can hide a bike's weight pretty well if it is low and sprung weight, but I just can't fathom having to lift an additional 20 lbs each time I need to wake up the bike from a nap.
300 lbs (at least, what with all the farkles I've added) is more than enough
woofer2609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #37712
r6realtor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I'd like to ride one of the crf's. Interesting to see if the lower posture lowers the COG much.
I know you can hide a bike's weight pretty well if it is low and sprung weight, but I just can't fathom having to lift an additional 20 lbs each time I need to wake up the bike from a nap.
I have both and the crf is no doubt down on power compared to the wr but I have to say I love the crf offroad its a blast and does hide its weight well I honestly don't feel a huge weight difference between the two. The little crf flies off jumps and is a ton of fun in my opinion.
r6realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #37713
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I'm probably gonna be blasted for this but I find the WRR a little low on power as is (even with all the power mods) I can't imagine having much fun off road on the CRF unless you are just putting down gravel roads...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #37714
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Why? I took mine off and I'm running stock can. I alway though that if you were running EXUP, then AIS stays.
EXUP and AIS systems are totally independent.
EXUP is supposed to impact low end torque.
AIS..air injection system, impacts exhaust emmisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
I'm probably gonna be blasted for this but I find the WRR a little low on power as is (even with all the power mods) I can't imagine having much fun off road on the CRF unless you are just putting down gravel roads...
Street legal Hondog is a CR250L http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l.aspx
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #37715
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

Street legal Hondog is a CR250L http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l.aspx
D'oh... too many years calling them CRF's haha.

Anyways... not trying to bash on the honda it seems like a great bike (especially for the price) but as we all know the WRR is a very capable dirt bike as well as dual sport... and it seems to me like the honda is more of pure dual sport bike.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #37716
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Why? I took mine off and I'm running stock can. I alway though that if you were running EXUP, then AIS stays.
The AIS is there to help the catalytic converter work. Without it the cat may become plugged or fouled.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #37717
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
The bike is designated CRF-250L.
The F in CRF is Honda Motor Company's way of reminding you it's a four-stroke.

It started when the 2-stroke CR motocross bikes were being dropped for the 4-stroke motocross bikes.
Now, they put the CRF designation on any kind of four-stroke meant to see some kind of dirt, no matter how small, such as the CRF50F trail bike for kids.
AKA marketing strategy, and some would say AKA bullshit.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #37718
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,607
Oopps, my bad..there is an F in there. CRFL
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #37719
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
I haven't ridden a CRF250L, but I have owned the CRF230L. The CRF230 had some torque down low that you don't have to rev to get to. This makes it very usable off-road, and does not seem too down on power when you're trail riding. I think this is what he was referring to. It was much slower on the street but off road it could go faster than I cared to go. My reason for the move to the WRR was the suspension upgrade and fuel injection. But, when revved up the WRR has significantly more power for the street than the 230 did, enough to get the adrenaline going in the twisties.

I'm sure the CRF250L has a respectable amount of power to have fun offroad and on-road. I can see it being just as much fun on most of the trail rides I do. Then again, I pretty much never go full throttle on any trails.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #37720
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6realtor View Post
I have both and the crf is no doubt down on power compared to the wr but I have to say I love the crf offroad its a blast and does hide its weight well I honestly don't feel a huge weight difference between the two. The little crf flies off jumps and is a ton of fun in my opinion.
Kick-ass pair of bikes!
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #37721
r6realtor
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
I haven't ridden a CRF250L, but I have owned the CRF230L. The CRF230 had some torque down low that you don't have to rev to get to. This makes it very usable off-road, and does not seem too down on power when you're trail riding. I think this is what he was referring to. It was much slower on the street but off road it could go faster than I cared to go. My reason for the move to the WRR was the suspension upgrade and fuel injection. But, when revved up the WRR has significantly more power for the street than the 230 did, enough to get the adrenaline going in the twisties.

I'm sure the CRF250L has a respectable amount of power to have fun offroad and on-road. I can see it being just as much fun on most of the trail rides I do. Then again, I pretty much never go full throttle on any trails.
Exactly, I actually have 2 other buddies that have crf250l's and on the street my wr eats them alive, I can beat them by semi truck lengths in a drag race, when we take off from a stop they can hang with me until I hit about 3rd gear then I just pull away big time, I will say I notice the more miles they put on them the less I seem to be able to pull away my buddy has 4,000 miles on his and swears it keeps getting faster and I do have a harder time pulling away but always do.
Mine only has 480miles so far and its wound up tighter than a drum, they both smoke me on my crf and everyone is completely stock. The bottom end is where it shines on the crf a fun bike off road thats were the power is the best, thats why im actually really happy with it in the trails. the sand here is FL is pretty horrible knee deep in many places and the crf does pretty well in my opinion, wr needs to be revved pretty high to get through it, no doubt the wr is a better bike but that crf is so much fun to ride and easy to ride at that, I love finding things to jump it off of, it just makes you feel comfortable doing it and for the price you can't beat it.
honestly I think the bike needs to be broken in to feel what the bike is really going to be like.. both of my buddies agreed at the 600-700mile range the bike just started to kick in, not so wound up, they both agreed the motor sounded different and just felt much faster in general the bike just needs some time to break in and it does come alive not wr alive but better than new alive
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #37722
r6realtor
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
Kick-ass pair of bikes!
Thanks!
the question is would you sell them both for this? my wife gave the ok but said I should sell both my bike to pay for it! its the 2013 ducati hypermotard 821cc twin, one sweet bike for sure! but two for one not sure what to do!!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #37723
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6realtor View Post
Thanks!
the question is would you sell them both for this? my wife gave the ok but said I should sell both my bike to pay for it! its the 2013 ducati hypermotard 821cc twin, one sweet bike for sure! but two for one not sure what to do!!
Once the lusting begins, there is nothing to do but satisfy it..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #37724
r6realtor
Gnarly Adventurer

you got it, its a tough one to get over for sure! In general the bike is not that horribly priced just under 12k but the services are kind of expensive, parts are definitely more expensive and insurance is more $325 a year compared to both my wr and crf at $180 a year.
first service 600miles $293 second service 7500miles $805, 16,000miles service $1100, one guy told me the second service is at 9,000 miles so?? anyways I feel like I ride my wr a lot and only have about 3100 miles on it in about 11months so it would be a while before I even hit 7500miles or 9000 miles whenever that 2nd service is even truly needed. I just have so much money in my wr its out of this world, I hope to get some of it back?? wr rarely ever even come up for sale in my area, I actually had a guy offer me $7,000 at a gas station for it one day 3months ago, if I had thought about it I would have just taken it and jumped on this ducati!! but i don't know there is something about these easy to maintain reliable cheap bikes!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #37725
rvsixer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
What's better for socal - Michelin T63 or Pirelli MT21 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
To those that have used either or both on their WR250R, please share your experiences. Typical usage is hard pack fire roads, some rocky stuff (mostly dry, but riding up north it will be wetter). Also socal desert which is mostly hard pack, but of main concern are the many 3"-8" deep sandy patches one encounters.

Road use is limited to only reaching trails from the house or staging area (typically less than 20 miles each way).
Just wanted to thank everyone for your input T63 vs MT21, very good real world information.

The excellent in sand input on the T63 have cemented the rear tire choice, but I have both the T63 and MT21 front tire in the shopping cart. I normally don't mix brands/treads, but there is much positive input on the MT21 front being excellent, and compatible with most any rear tire pairing. Now just gotta' pick one and go .
rvsixer is offline   Reply With Quote