Old 06-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #286
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
What like a shed or something?
Yes.

We were trying to make it to a national forest that night. After riding for pushing on 20 hours straight, the last couple being slab, we both decided we couldn't do the last hour of twistys to get to the camping. Storage shed worked for what we needed.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #287
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Yes.

We were trying to make it to a national forest that night. After riding for pushing on 20 hours straight, the last couple being slab, we both decided we couldn't do the last hour of twistys to get to the camping. Storage shed worked for what we needed.
That's a good tip. I would have figured that they'd chase you off cos it's private property or something. Did you all just leave before the store opened?
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #288
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
That's a good tip. I would have figured that they'd chase you off cos it's private property or something. Did you all just leave before the store opened?
Arrive late, leave early. Never even knew we were there.

A few cars were in the lot when we got up, just got geared up in the shed, rolled it out and were gone before anyone noticed.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #289
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Did you park your bike in the shed also? It seems like that would reduce the likelihood of getting noticed.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #290
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Did you park your bike in the shed also? It seems like that would reduce the likelihood of getting noticed.
Yep. That was the best part, hardest part of sleeping stealthy is what to do with the bike.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #291
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Yep. That was the best part, hardest part of sleeping stealthy is what to do with the bike.
Or the super sonic sounds that emanate from some people while they're sleeping.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #292
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Thanks for the great tips!

Trying to eat cheap and healthy for TDY or out in the field I'll grab Progresso or Campbells soups or Chef Boyardee. They've come out with quite a few decent flavors and are fairly easy to pack. I put mine out in the sun to warm up a bit and add hot sauce or Sriracha when needed. All you need is a spoon and you're good to go. Decent amount of calories, carbs, and protein. You can put the can over most any flame if you watch it and stir it and then again I'm use to eating MRE's cold so it doesn't bother me if it doesn't warm up too much.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #293
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
love this thread, gave me lots of ideas for my ride.

Some stuff I learned:

-I've had luck getting free showers at rec centers and pools. I've skipped the fee by asking if I can use the locker rooms to change in. And grabbed a shower that way. I always carry flip flops and a hand towel sized microfiber towel, when I found a spot to shower I could be in and out in a few minutes.

-Best way to find free spots to camp is to ask. Best free spots I've found are asking rangers at state parks, people at gas stations, even hobos. I have stealth camped before but in general I'm uncomfortable with trespassing and rolling out all my gear. When I do stealth camp I try to find a spot to use the hammock, since that takes about 1 minute to pack.

-In the USA, you can always find clean cold drinking water at gas stations and fast food places. Just use the fountain machine and hit the water button. I've never had anyone say anything even when I'm filling my camel pack with ice.

-Don't buy ice, its free from the same machines. Carry a few Ziploc bags, you can tuck them in your jacket if its hot out, and toss them in your luggage to keep food cold.

-free wifi at any starbucks or mcdonalds

-I haven't figured out the cooking aspect either, despite carrying a small stove. It's just a big PITA carrying food, keeping it from spoiling, cooking, and doing dishes afterwards. This really limits your camping spots big time to places with running water. Cheapest way I've found to eat is subway, which seems to have a $5 footlong deal every month. Good enough for two meals and just fill a bag with ice from the fountain machine and toss the other half in your luggage.

pne screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 11:49 AM
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #294
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,385
An easy, less hassle, no water clean up for cooking would be freezer bag cooking:

http://www.trailcooking.com/

http://sectionhiker.com/freezer_bag_cooking/

If it looks interesting to you experiment at home just so you know what you are getting yourself into

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have the luxury of being able to get out and away from everything. Often we are lucky to find fuel and those stops don't have much in the way of food options so I carry packets of freezer bag meals (cheaper than Mountain House).

I also carry a small (maybe 16 oz.) wide mouth thermos. In the morning when fixing breakfast I also put a meal bag in the thermos, fill bag with hot water, seal, put top on thermos and stowe in the bike. At lunch time it is still hot and ready to eat.

My tastes are pretty simple and my main goal is to get nutritious meals in me so I have the energy to enjoy the ride. I also want my water supply to go in me to keep me hyrated rather than being used to clean up so I like the idea of clean up being done by tossing the bag.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #295
ben2go
Moto Flunky

What happen to foraging for food?Lots of wild edibles in the forests.Nothing better than pine tea and pine gum around a camp fire.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #296
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I was just out on a trip and was not having any luck finding a campground. It was almost dark when I came to a small town hall building. Camped behind it for my first night of stealth camping. Found out the next day the campground was 20 miles down the road. I am glad I stopped when I did.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #297
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Fun thread... enjoyed the Integrity
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #298
MasterMotoko
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just read the 20 pages in this thread in two days.... Holy Cow! I thought I was thrifty. I have to step up my game. Why not just take condiments and sugar/creamer stuffs from work? You work there if the office supplies it does it have to be used at work?

Im getting my GS when I get back from deployment and cannot wait to take a trip with all these great ideas and tips for 30 days. Might not stealth camp too much at first <_<
MasterMotoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #299
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMotoko View Post
Just read the 20 pages in this thread in two days.... Holy Cow! I thought I was thrifty. I have to step up my game. Why not just take condiments and sugar/creamer stuffs from work? You work there if the office supplies it does it have to be used at work?

Im getting my GS when I get back from deployment and cannot wait to take a trip with all these great ideas and tips for 30 days. Might not stealth camp too much at first <_<
I am a bit at odds with stealth camping also.I see the benefit, but being a landowner that deals with the liabilities,it keeps me from straying off the beaten path.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #300
MasterMotoko
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I am a bit at odds with stealth camping also.I see the benefit, but being a landowner that deals with the liabilities,it keeps me from straying off the beaten path.

Didn't think of it from the landowner view. I think I will stick to public lands (free annual pass for military).

Im picking my GS up from Upstate, SC Ben2go Just sayin'!
MasterMotoko is offline   Reply With Quote