Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #46
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
What tires are you running on yours? I haven't been able to find anything but moped tires in that small of a size, and i destroyed my rear in a week on my trip. Probably too fast and too heavy of a load for it.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #47
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Avon roadrunners.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #48
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Sent the cylinders and pistons off for a hone and new rings. Head work should be done before too long. Looking forward to reassembling the bike and perhaps get it running this fall/winter. Would really like to learn how to ride a bike again soon and start playing with the the Farnsey's Picture hunt thread! Pix of the smallest pistons I've ever seen! Current state of affairs shown last. Minus the torn apart engine of course

cb200t screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 03:53 PM
cb200t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #49
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
nice machine

It's good that you stuck with the little Honda, it's a good machine.
I put flat bars and a hydraulic brake caliper from a bigger Honda on mine, cheap to do.
I liked mine a lot, rode the nuts off it. I found that it could go much faster when I wore tight roadracing leathers, than a jacket flopping open. It was a lot of fun trying to get the most out of the little thing.
Avons are good, even in the rain.
Who cares if you spend more on it than it's so-called "market value"? That's not what riding is about.
My ex and I weighed 325 pounds together, and we had a lot of fun runnin the roads and coffee shops on mine.
Remember that the same filter/airbox/carb tuning tricks that 400Fours use will be applicable to your machine-
have fun!
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
crimson ghost
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Trying to decide what to do with one I just bought. I weigh 150lb but still worry it may be too small after a week or 2. I love the looks and size of them though.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #51
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Too small for what? I weigh 200+ and rode my C70 Passport 60km round trip to work everyday one summer. Had a riot and saved a bundle on gas and parking.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #52
crimson ghost
n00b

Sounds good to me. Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #53
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mule View Post
It's good that you stuck with the little Honda, it's a good machine.
I put flat bars and a hydraulic brake caliper from a bigger Honda on mine, cheap to do.
I liked mine a lot, rode the nuts off it. I found that it could go much faster when I wore tight roadracing leathers, than a jacket flopping open. It was a lot of fun trying to get the most out of the little thing.
Avons are good, even in the rain.
Who cares if you spend more on it than it's so-called "market value"? That's not what riding is about.
My ex and I weighed 325 pounds together, and we had a lot of fun runnin the roads and coffee shops on mine.
Remember that the same filter/airbox/carb tuning tricks that 400Fours use will be applicable to your machine-
have fun!
I appreciate the advice. As noted previously, this thing was bought as an "experience". Since I have no experience with motorcycles, this has been a very rich and thorough experience that will continue to a different chapter after it's running and I re-learn how to ride (I took a rider's course, got my endorsement and haven't ridden since; that was three years ago.)
At first I was keeping track of how much I was spending. After the first thousand, I said "f$*k it" and just bought what I needed, spent what was warranted to get what I needed/wanted and called it good. The $3000 number is fairly accurate, but it's just off the top of my head with some mental math. I don't anticipate ever selling the bike, so I don't really care what it's worth. Honestly, I think it's just neat to have something older than myself that not many others have.
My wife has expressed interest in possibly riding on the back every now and then. I'm hoping this will be a gateway, or at the very least, a means to get her to feel more comfortable about my riding it.
Could you provide more specific detail about the hydro conversion, and specifically how you handled the right hand switches etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson ghost View Post
Trying to decide what to do with one I just bought. I weigh 150lb but still worry it may be too small after a week or 2. I love the looks and size of them though.
I was suspicious at first, but after I sat on it, I realized it provides a really neutral, upright position. I think it'll be really fun to ride when it's done. Then again, the only experience I have on a moto is the time I got to ride one during the MSF course and that was on a 125 Yamaha...
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #54
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

switches

I just pulled the right hand switch cluster and mastercylinder/hand lever from a CB500, ten bucks at the swap meet. Wiring is nearly the same.
I had to make an adapter for the brake caliper and that was a little hard, those old calipers are clumsy and big. I you choose a caliper from a modern bike, it will be much more compact and easier to fit.
You can make a Masonite pattern for your caliper adapter and a bike/chopper/fab shop will cut it from aluminum for you, cheep.
You can get a braided brakeline to fit your app from any bike shop for a few bucks.
I had such a good time with mine, I'd be flyin along on I94 with the rev counter redlined, and then sit up- it would take 10 mph off instantly.
Rode to an AMCA meet once, 50 miles in freezing rain/sleet, found when I arrived that all the big ol tough guys on their sportbikes had chickened out and stayed home.
Wish I still had the little Honda.
Get on the net and check out the 160/175 racing scene in Portland and elsewhere, great tech ideas for the little Hondas.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #55
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mule View Post
I just pulled the right hand switch cluster and mastercylinder/hand lever from a CB500, ten bucks at the swap meet. Wiring is nearly the same.
I had to make an adapter for the brake caliper and that was a little hard, those old calipers are clumsy and big. I you choose a caliper from a modern bike, it will be much more compact and easier to fit.
You can make a Masonite pattern for your caliper adapter and a bike/chopper/fab shop will cut it from aluminum for you, cheep.
You can get a braided brakeline to fit your app from any bike shop for a few bucks.
I had such a good time with mine, I'd be flyin along on I94 with the rev counter redlined, and then sit up- it would take 10 mph off instantly.
Rode to an AMCA meet once, 50 miles in freezing rain/sleet, found when I arrived that all the big ol tough guys on their sportbikes had chickened out and stayed home.
Wish I still had the little Honda.
Get on the net and check out the 160/175 racing scene in Portland and elsewhere, great tech ideas for the little Hondas.
Good to know, I'll start looking into that. I think it would make a good upgrade for that bike. Thanks again for the heads up.

Alex
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #56
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ordered up a Lifan scooter caliper/master cylinder with lever for the CB. Trying to get a hold of a CB500 right hand control to delete the integrated lever that the 200 came with. Should have a hydro brake soon. Still waiting on the engine stuff. Will post pix when I start putting things back together.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #57
crimson ghost
n00b

Keep us updated
Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #58
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Will do!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #59
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,271
You spend money on a hobby, making money doing anything ruins it.

How many people these days know a bike inside and out?

How many people know about the pride of a well running bike that was once a wreck and in pieces in their garage?

Pride. Satisfaction. Knowlage.
You can't buy that.
You earn it.

Someone can have $30,000.00 into a bike and it does not impress me, I think its silly and not very smart.

If I see an old bike, I am very interested. If I find out the rider rebuilt or restored it, I am impressed. If they ride it cross country, they get my full respect.

I am looking for an old sl125 or something like so I can have fun also..

Enjoy!
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #60
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

carb tuning

There is a CB400 carb tuning thread up here now, copy the info for your carbs.

Right on, mucho respectt for someone who knows his own machine.
Ever seen the Vincent book, "Know Thy Beast"?
It is too expensive for us mere riders to buy now, unfortunately.