Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,830
I bought a gallon of RUglyde at Pep Boys 4 years ago. I've used maybe 1/4 of it and I've changed at least 50 tires. I use the RUglyde for dismount and the NoMar paste for remounting.
The stuff doesn't go bad if you keep it capped so just get some.
A note to the OP, too bad your not closer, I'd have you come over and show you some tips. It gets easier the more tires you do. I've changed thousands in my life( I've worked in motorcycle shops) and 70% of it is technique and 30% is equipment IMO.
BTW, I have a Nomar I use and a HF changer and a mojo lever sitting in a corner I don't use. I did use a strap on the HF changer like everyone else.
Jamming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I tried to buy a pint or 2 of tire changing lube from a local tire shop. They told me to use cooking oil, as it is about the same thing. Sounded messy, so I went back to a solution of water & Dawn dish soap, which seems to work well. I have also used Windex, which works, but evaporates quickly.

I'd buy tire changing lube like Ruglyde in reasonable qty, but only see shop-size containers (gallon or larger). Does anyone sell a reasonable amount, preferably in a bottle that doubles as a dispenser?
If my research is correct, the "gly" in Ruglyde stands for Glycol -- as in Ethylene Glycol -- which is antifreeze. So my guess is that Prestone is probably closer than cooking oil.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
If my research is correct, the "gly" in Ruglyde stands for Glycol -- as in Ethylene Glycol -- which is antifreeze. So my guess is that Prestone is probably closer than cooking oil.
That is not quite correct, it is only about 2% antifreeze, the stuff is basically vegetable soap....bought a gallon myself and have used it to mount several tires, works better than dishwashing soap and does not dry as quickly, definitely worth the $13 or so a lifetime supply (for me) cost at Napa. You do need to make sure to rinse it off the tire thoroughly after mounting (like any tire mounting lube).....

http://www.agscompany.com/images/sto...be_English.pdf
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Is it possible the first bead didn't stay in the drop Center? If it came out of there you would have a bitch of a time getting the tire on.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
Is it possible the first bead didn't stay in the drop Center? If it came out of there you would have a bitch of a time getting the tire on.

very true....one option to prevent that is to use cargo straps or zip ties to squeeze the beads together and then mount both at once, requires much less force and is especially good when mounting tires w/ tubes as it would be dang near impossible to pinch a tube that way. I learned that trick here on another thread
here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
I've always used Armorall for tire changing. It starts out slippery as snot, but then after soaking into the tire, it tacks up pretty good.

I am very careful not to get it on the tread surfaces. YMMV.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
We have been through this before, Glycol is a big family of stuff. The Glycol in Ruglyde is not anti freeze.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #23
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
This is what I came here to say.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
DJFlowe OP
Ginger

Oddometer: 222
Thanks, folks. I really appreciate all the help. It sounds like a better lubricant and a strap should do the trick... I'll have to wait till I have another set of tires to mount to make sure.

RE: the bead- yes, both beads opposite the final bit were "in the well." I used a couple of clamps and my hip to shove them in there. It wasn't particularly difficult to spoon the final bit over by hand, I just couldn't keep the rim from rotating in the mount.

GSWeave, how will the yellow thing help? I'm not having problems with the tire rotating on the rim, I'm having problems with the rim rotating in the mount. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
DJFlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post

some of this/ One of these

The extra "hand" helps hold the bead down in the drop center. Life was a lot easier after I bought mine.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote