Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,885
I checked on stainless steel tubing today and the price was pretty Freaking steep. Lets just say I am going to try some other suppliers!

$25.?? dollars a foot!

Granted, this was from a supplier who sells aerospace quality tubing. I don't think we need quite that standard of quality for our little old exhaust headers.

More to come!

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

P.s.

I noticed on my G/S templates that the end of the header is flared to 38mm where it would attach to the head. The rest of the tube is about 35mm od. If someone who is good with a micrometer and wants to give me exact dimensions, including wall thickness, that would be cool. I am going to measure my stuff and we can then compare results.

If Anton is done measuring his fork, maybe he can help?

Edit: I did do some looking and found a national supplier with an office in Fort Worth. I am going to go down there tomorrow or wednesday and see what's what.

Also, it seems like most of the suppliers I am running into measure their stuff in inches. I did a quick calculation of our 38mm headers and that = 1.496 inch

Any ideas on how that would fit without modification or alteration. there is a little wiggle room but is that enough?

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

TEXASYETI screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 05:05 PM
Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
Replicating them isn't a challenge at all for those guys. Just send them the originals to copy from and make sure the correct gauge of metal is used. If the gauge is thinner,
Don't think you'll get thinner than the bm originals! Done for weight savings I'd think... very thin.

The G/S ones were painted flat black. The ST ones were chromed .. and lasted all of 6 months more ... in my experience. I eventually got the staintune system. Still on the bike.

Staintune would still make these .. place order and wait for factory to make them. They will still be 'on the books' - so makeable.
Think Staintune uses 308 stainless.

Frank Warner screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 01:46 PM
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,791
Most stainless exhausts I've seen are made from 308. And 38mm is close enough to pass for 1.5", which will work just fine.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
The R100 GS headers are not the same ?
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy82rats
G/S to GS ? No - of course not ! Go look at the part numbers...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #22
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
G/S to GS ? No - of course not ! Go look at the part numbers...
OK, I was thinking that the outlet tubes from heads was the same, and diferents silencer and "collector box".
All my exhaust is rusted on my G/S... One solution less !
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #23
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Well, here is the scoop. I tried to find the 36mm tubing which could then be flared to 38mm where is goes into the head with the 36mm end for the collector box. But that was not readily available. I then thought about trying to modify the inlets to the collector box to accept a 38mm (1.5") which is easy cheesy to find and there seem to be lots of BMW headers that are consistent 38mm diameter all the way through.

However, having no real metal working skills, no tools, and nowhere to do the work, I took some other headers I had to my local top alcohol dragster chassis builder. He is going to extend the headers and put the little funky bend in the end. I will post the results.

I think this result will work better on the bike than the crappy 2 into 1 and supertrapp setup I have now.

I did find some cool venders as I looked for materials. One place in Ohio could digitally map the original headers and then spit out as many copies as you want. Find the material and you are in business!

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #24
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Quote:
OK, I was thinking that the outlet tubes from heads was the same, and diferents silencer and "collector box".
All my exhaust is rusted on my G/S... One solution less !
ST headers will fit and motobins had G/S header pipes for about 270.00 a pair + shipping.

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
Quote:
Mind reading is not my field!

The header pipes are not the same because teh collector box is not the same ....

The head outlets are the same .. if you want to replace the entire system .. there is a difference in the muffler mountings .. paralever vs mono lever things too I'd think ..

However .. unless your replacement is in stainless steel .. it is going to rust out too.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #26
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

The end result....

Here is what I decided to do: Take a set of headers I had with a crosspipe and have them extended to fit the stock collector box set-up. The guy had to build a couple little jigs to make it work but the results came out pretty nice.

First though, the collector box had some rot on the backside. We could not grind down the seam weld and replace so we put a plate in:

Here are the extended headers. Everything matched up really well with a set of G/S we used as the masters. My buddy could not get the bends as sharp as the factory pipes and I hope they are no clearance issues. Going to fit them this weekend:

Here is a picture of the set-up:

Next obvious question is am I going to high temp paint, chrome, ceramic coat, etc. the headers? Any thoughts about either option would be very cool. I am leaning towards a cermaic coating but have never had that done before.

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #27
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,599
Did we ever find out how this turned out?