Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #61
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
You know what would be REALLY impressive?

An "off the shelf" R100 engine transplant!

That's another garage build I've seen over on Soviet Steeds. Pretty simple and straight forward transplant. With the improvements to the transmission and FD in recent years, the drive train should easily handle the power increase.
For me I am happy with my 650T with a /8 under the tank.
having better brakes would be nice (at least I would be getting away form the pulsating of the warped drums )

But at 20 large I think I will just keep the old girl alive a few more years
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #62
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy View Post
Just so you better understand what "off-the-shelf" means in real life:

- Denso is standard component, BUT adapter had to be developed, tested, and industrialized by Ural
- Marzocchi (not Paioli) forks are standard, BUT lower tubes had to be redesigned to accommodate Ural specific brake caliper and front fender mounts
- Brembo brakes are standard, BUT the wheel hub, brake rotor adapter and caliper mounts to accommodate it are developed by Ural
- Herzog gears - made by specialized gear manufacturer, BUT developed from the scratch for Ural
- Keihin carbs - "off-the-shelf", BUT the combination of the jets, shims and needle is Ural specific (it even has Ural specific part number)
- Ducati ignition - was initially developed for somebody else, BUT mapping is Ural specific
- Sachs shocks - kind of "off-the-shelf" EXCEPT the springs, caps, upper and lower mounts were developed specifically for Ural.

If you look at Ural closer, you'd be surprised how little really "off-the-shelf" parts - except some bearings (although not all of them), seals and fasteners - are used on these bikes.

Ilya

I think it says something about Ural/IMZ that management pays attention to customers (if some of you didn't realize who this was).

I'm wondering if the oddball seal and other component sizes will be changed to standardized parts. Like the drive-shaft input seal on the FD. Streamlining things like this reduces costs.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #63
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
You know what would be REALLY impressive?

An "off the shelf" R100 engine transplant!

That's another garage build I've seen over on Soviet Steeds. Pretty simple and straight forward transplant. With the improvements to the transmission and FD in recent years, the drive train should easily handle the power increase.
Putting a newer BMW engine in a Ural would be like puttng a jet engine in a bi-plane!
Just like the bi-plane would get it's wings ripped off, it'd totally jack up the Ural gearbox/clutch and the current final drives that can barely handle the Ural 750's 40hp as it is. But if you swapped in a Dnepr gearbox and final drive, it might survive...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #64
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
I think it says something about Ural/IMZ that management pays attention to customers (if some of you didn't realize who this was).

I'm wondering if the oddball seal and other component sizes will be changed to standardized parts. Like the drive-shaft input seal on the FD. Streamlining things like this reduces costs.
Yep.
I doubt the general manager of Harley-Davidson comments on here...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #65
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 229
I'm really interested in what the new colors will be. I've got fingers crossed that they keep the OD colors, hopefully without the glossy finish.
I check every day for some kind of preview or announcement
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #66
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Urals - love them or hate them, doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

If you want one, get one. If you have one you don't like - sell it.

Kudos to the company for the efforts to respond to the market place and update the RPOS. Getting closer to the 20th century in engineering. I enjoy something I can maintain at home (and sometimes on the side of the road too!). Reverse is sweet and 2wd intriguing, not many competitors there.

I'm glad I bought one a little while back, it's a refreshing change to the UJM. In ten or fifteen years I'll see how far they've come and think about another one, maybe two wheel drive. Anybody buying one without knowing what they're getting into probably believes politicians are here to help us.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #67
kd1yt
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I REALLY like my 1995 650 Tourist, including, most of the times, all of its cranky quirks and foibles, since most of them are user-diagnosable and fix-able with basic tools and low cost parts.

I take it places I have no business taking a 1WD bike that currently has a back tire with barely remaining inspectable tread, and it thrives on the punishment.

That said, there isn't that big a market of rider/owners like me, at least that would be willing to pay the price of a new-made quirky 650 (which would be less than the modern Urals but still not cheap). If Ural tried to survive by continuing to produce what it used to produce, it would be the fast lane to oblivion.

More than a little of the previously low cost of early Urals and spare parts was solely a product of weird twists of history, not actual costs to engineer/ produce.

I'm a pretty die-hard Luddite in most of the things that I do, but even I can see the benefits of fuel injection and disc brakes on all wheels. There are places that I would enjoy riding my Ural (in denser or faster traffic, or in places where lots of people are pulling in and out) that I don't take it, because my all-drum brakes are more figurative than literal in their response when called on to do anything quickly [I like having drums all around, so that any wheel can go anywhere, but discs all around would give me that).

I am glad that IMZ/ Ural is doing what it takes to build bikes that will keep it in business, while still keeping the basic core of the machine true to its origins and at a level of technology that can be worked on and customized by ordinary owner-riders (unlike, say, the modern BMWs, which have become Teutonic wet-dreams of horrific overcomplexity utterly opaque to anyone without highly specialized tools and training).

I can't wait to see a 2014 "in the flesh" even though I do not have the money to buy one and am not sure that I would spend that money on one if I did.

kd1yt screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 07:00 PM
kd1yt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #68
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
I'm a little disappointed, but only from a financial point of view. I understand that they have to increase the price point to cover the new tech, but I am one of their customers that was already right on the end of the budget, so a few thousand more puts a new Ural out of reach.

My only hope is that the 2014s will drop the prices of the 2013s.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #69
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audaciter View Post
but I am one of their customers that was already right on the end of the budget, so a few thousand more puts a new Ural out of reach.
I was hoping for a new bike but I'm in the same boat as you. Then I look at the one I have and conclude life isn't so bad really...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #70
boyd32450
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
What I'd love to see is a disc brake upgrade kit for the older (like 2010 on) bikes. I'm happy with my engine, but a brake upgrade I would do in a minute!
I have been thinking about that as well. Hopefully you will be able to buy the parts to convert to disc brakes. Its about the only thing I think my new Gear Up needs except maybe a more comfy seat.
Boyd Reeder DoD #115
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
- Ben Franklin
2013 URAL Gear Up, "Forest Fog"OLGA
boyd32450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #71
usbp379
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm not big on the price increase. I actually think Urals are too expensive now. If they want to improve things, I think I'd rather see the bike come with some better tires. Ones that aren't bald after 3500km's. Some lock washers that aren't crushed flat after just one use would be nice too.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 4
usbp379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #72
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
I'm not big on the price increase. I actually think Urals are too expensive now. If they want to improve things, I think I'd rather see the bike come with some better tires. Ones that aren't bald after 3500km's. Some lock washers that aren't crushed flat after just one use would be nice too.

I have no problem with the current price. You are getting a hell of a lot for what is a similar price for other "Dual sport" type rides, let alone building a rig yourself.

I just can't push my budget much beyond the 14,000 mark.

When do the new Ural models hit the floors usually? I'm really interested to see what the 2013 market will be like. Do we expect a lot of people trading in barely used 12 and 13s in order to have th FI and disk brakes?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #73
usbp379
n00b

What was the used market like right after the launch of the 750? Was there suddenly a glut of older 650 bikes on the market? What about with the change to Herzog gears in 2007? Did that flood the market with older used bikes?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #74
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
What was the used market like right after the launch of the 750? Was there suddenly a glut of older 650 bikes on the market? What about with the change to Herzog gears in 2007? Did that flood the market with older used bikes?

No idea. I'm pretty new to the Ural game.

I sure hope so.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #75
usbp379
n00b

Will fuel injection keep the fuel from running out the right side of the bike when flying the chair for an extended period?