User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Cozy Rocket

Last winter, I installed a Cozy Rocket on my airhead BMW using a DMC subframe and 70 degree mounts. They also made an additional rear crossmember I welded in to work with their mounts as well as modify the Cozy front mount. To me, the mounting is solid and easy to adjust with essentially no flexing between the sidecar frame and the bike. At 200 lbs, no additional ballast is needed as I can't pick up the sidecar wheel using the "stand on the left peg, hold onto the handlebars and throw your weight away from the bike" rule of thumb.

I did change out the spring over shock on the sidecar with an extra Progressive model from my bike to soften the ride. Now the springing of the sidecar and the bike seem pretty similar and it's adjustable. Before, they could have had a solid bar instead of a shock and it wouldn't have ridden any worse. The passenger compartment is small though I installed the sidecar to be able to ride through the winter here in interior Alaska not to carry a passenger. After studding the tires and adding a silicone heat pad on the oil pan and battery, I used the rig as long as it was above -20F.

After fine tuning the alignment and balancing the sidecar wheel (it took 5 oz!) I've been using it daily and put on 5K miles on the rig including quite a few miles on gravel roads. No obvious problems. The welds and overall fit and finish seem fine.

The few times I see mention of Cozy within the Hacks forum, it's usually accompanied by something like "Shock , horror *shudder* , he/she used a Cosy".

Am I missing something obvious?

My Blog

richardak screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 11:51 AM Reason: Smaller picture
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Itvsounds like your doing everything right Richard I would just ignore a lot of what you read and just have fun

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardak View Post

A sense of humor ?

Did you miss the smilie ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post

Shock , horror *shudder* , he/she used a Cosy.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
A sense of humor ?

Did you miss the smilie ?
For some reason the smile didn't survive the cut and paste. Didn't mean to single your comment out but it was convenient and has the general tone of what I've been told. But haven't heard why they have such a bad reputation on this and other forums. I'm planning a long trip next summer and wanted to try and find out what problems I may have with it.
My Blog
Old 09-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,676
Quote:
For some reason the smile didn't survive the cut and paste. Didn't mean to single your comment out but it was convenient and has the general tone of what I've been told. But haven't heard why they have such a bad reputation on this and other forums. I'm planning a long trip next summer and wanted to try and find out what problems I may have with it.

Try to look at it in a similar light as when people discuss mopar , ford or chevies. There will always be some who do not like one or the other and can regale you with their shortcomings.

Cosy's like most subject matters regarding sidecars have accumulated a lot of myth around them. What some fail to comprehend is that how they are mounted and then ridden plays a pivotal role ... as a certain globe trotting ural rider found out about his steed.

Wait till you buy a harley like I did ... it really pisses the know-all's right off when I have more derogatory jokes about harley's than they do .

Enjoy your ride and have fun.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Where you headed to Richard?

Retired and Riding
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post
Where you headed to Richard?
Kind of thinking about here to MN to southern CA and back.
My Blog
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Are you going to use the ferry system?

I'm thinking Victoria Island and then the coast highway to SF

Retired and Riding
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
richardak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post
Are you going to use the ferry system?

I'm thinking Victoria Island and then the coast highway to SF
No, probably the Cassiar, drop down into MT, east to MN, down to L.A., then north to AK.
My Blog
Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
Do it! Stop by when you're headed south on Hwy 1 from SF.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
boyd32450
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Last winter, I installed a Cozy Rocket on my airhead BMW using a DMC subframe and 70 degree mounts. They also made an additional rear crossmember I welded in to work with their mounts as well as modify the Cozy front mount. To me, the mounting is solid and easy to adjust with essentially no flexing between the sidecar frame and the bike. At 200 lbs, no additional ballast is needed as I can't pick up the sidecar wheel using the "stand on the left peg, hold onto the handlebars and throw your weight away from the bike" rule of thumb.

I did change out the spring over shock on the sidecar with an extra Progressive model from my bike to soften the ride. Now the springing of the sidecar and the bike seem pretty similar and it's adjustable. Before, they could have had a solid bar instead of a shock and it wouldn't have ridden any worse. The passenger compartment is small though I installed the sidecar to be able to ride through the winter here in interior Alaska not to carry a passenger. After studding the tires and adding a silicone heat pad on the oil pan and battery, I used the rig as long as it was above -20F.

After fine tuning the alignment and balancing the sidecar wheel (it took 5 oz!) I've been using it daily and put on 5K miles on the rig including quite a few miles on gravel roads. No obvious problems. The welds and overall fit and finish seem fine.

The few times I see mention of Cozy within the Hacks forum, it's usually accompanied by something like "Shock , horror *shudder* , he/she used a Cosy".

I don't know anything about a Cozy but it looks like a nice little rig. People are always going to second guess you. I think its in our nature to do so. I just bought a Ural and you wouldn't believe the naysayers Ural owners have to put up with. Alot of it is in fun and you should treat it all that way. If the rig is safe and you like it "screw em". My Ural drives like a tractor and sounds like a Singer but I love it.
Boyd Reeder DoD #115
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
- Ben Franklin
2013 URAL Gear Up, "Forest Fog"OLGA
boyd32450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Star looking at Drones thread will explain allot or send me a PM I'll tell you my fun with those boys..I don't want to start a war on your thread....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Rubber

The only bad thing I've heard about Cozy's is the large rubber bands they use as shock absorbers of the rear of the car.

The rubber tends to dry rot with age, so when the bands let go you'll have issues.

That wouldn't stop me from buying one if I liked it's other qualities & appearance. I'd just check the bands once in a while and maybe keep a few spares on hand.

Nice rig, BTW.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Heck, if you built it you can fix anything that needs it. Ride and enjoy. Go adopt a dog so you'll always have someone to ride with, and they never argue about where to eat.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
+1 on the dog! Nice rig, btw.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote