Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Great work! Really looks nice!
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #107
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Well after a few days of working on the bike, I am just about done. I have replaced the u-joint on the drive shaft, modified the rear rim to accept an auto tire. Well the u-joint proved to be a royal pain.......not in the disassembly, but when you are putting iy back together....all I can cay is ........I tried for 2 1/2 hrs to stab the drive shaft back up the tube and mate it with the u-joint, this is the way the manual says....... It won that day. Next day I removed the swing arm again, cause on a Intruder it has to come off to access the u-joint. I assembled it all on the swingarm (which makes it really heavy) , put the ujoint on the end of the shaft, then stabbed it right on the secondary drive the 1st time.......yay!!!!! The wheel and tire is another story. Well I had to grind off the ridge that was keeping the tire from seating the first time. I still had a hell of a time getting the tire to seat, used every slick solution I had around, finally used Pam the cooking spray and 100 psi and it seated....Wish I had taken pics, but oh well. I have the finished results.

Since I was so close to the fender, the tire looks narrow, but it fills it up quite well. I have a hidden hitch on the inside of the fender, and I have about 1/2 inch clearance on each side of the tire.

Here's another pic. Well now for the rest of the story......Well since I had to modify the new rim, it didnt come with the brake disc, well no problem, right. Wrong, none of the mounting hole matched up, back and for I went for about 5 minutes, long story short, get the drill out and match drill it........that steel is hard and thick. took a while, but I did it.
All I have left to do for today is finish installing the exhaust. Then I have a car tire for the front, and I still have to fix the oil leak, but that is after a short weekend trip, it's a small leak, but may require a new head gasket.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #108
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pam is my friend

You can seat a tire with it!

sandsman screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 06:43 PM Reason: text added
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #109
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Weel, I finally have both car tires on the front and rear of the bike. I think the ride feels better. For tomorrow, I will attempt a fix on the oil leak.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #110
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Weel, I finally have both car tires on the front and rear of the bike. I think the ride feels better. For tomorrow, I will attempt a fix on the oil leak.

Sandsman--just found this thread and read it through front-to-back. You gots tons of energy and spirit, man. An inspiration to all us backyard bolt breakers and thread strippers. I understand about the rear tire. But you didn't say much about the front tire. Do I understand that you were able to mount this car tire on the OEM wheel without any modification? If yes, that's too cool. Which tire (make, model) did you end up getting?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #111
mantree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
That's the plan in mind. I should be able to do the first ride maybe Tuesday or so.....the weather here in N Texas is going to be great for a couple or so days. Sunny and in the low to mid 70's.......I gotta get it together. I haven't ridden hardly at all since Oct 2010......not by choice, it's just hard to ride with a cast on, and that is what my entire riding season for 2011 consisted of. Here's a pic to give you an idea.

This is what my leg looked like on June 6, 2010, I caught a trailer tongue in the shin bone,

Then I got a botched up job by a bad doctor, and in litigation for that now.

So that was how the first doctor left me, and sent me back to work, after a week I could barely walk. The screw in the first pic above was broken. the bone he just left sticking out.......he did a terrible job.

And this is what it is like now, at least it is whole again......will never be what it once was, but at least I can walk right. That is what is driving the sidecar install. This pretty much has ended my carreer as an aircraft mechanic, and I was one of the few that really liked my job.

So believe me when I say, I want to ride, I really mean it.
I know how you feel I was hit by a car on my honda shadow and broke 17 bones in my right foot so I can't suport a bike on my leg now so I'm looking in to a side car rig
mantree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #112
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,172
Looks like you are getting things dialed in nicely. ..Good Job!
I'll bet you get some serious mileage out of those tires.

I'd love to figure out a way to go to smaller rims / tires on my old rig.
I'm stuck with 18" / 19" wheels.
I'm eating up rear MC tires in 2000 - 2500 miles. Fronts / hack tires every 3500 - 4000.
While on a road trip a while back I had to buy a Dunlop K-70 Trials type tire in a pinch as I couldn't find any other tire...in L.A. no less. Ended up being a great tire and lasted longer than the "K-Blocks" / Dunlops / Bridgestones / Shinko's that I've been eating up.

Near "Hannigan Meadow, AZ." last weekend. Had a great 2 day ride through some awesome AZ / NM country.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote