Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
1. In the sidebar however (of Mapsource), with the GPX2IMG selected via View>Switch to Product the tracks and waypoints do not show up as in gpx files. Is this a normal feature?

2. With the GPX2Image on the GPS is it possible to navigate the tracks rather than just viewing them?
1) Yes, working as it should. The GPX2IMG is just as the name implies; a GPX (gps data) file converted to an IMG (map image) file. You still have the file in GPX and it can still be displayed in MapSource as you are not restricted to the limited number of tracks as the gps unit.

2) No, the tracks are now just lines on the map image and are not routable.

The other solution is a new generation Garmin like the 78 or Montana which can save 200 track of 10,000 points each. For lesser units GPX2IMG is the best solution for many large tracks.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
HogWild-Check. Got that down A-OK. Thanks.

Yes, found that out now that I loaded the maps on the GPS and everything shows up OK in colors and everything.

1. In the sidebar however (of Mapsource), with the GPX2IMG selected via View>Switch to Product the tracks and waypoints do not show up as in gpx files. Is this a normal feature?

2. With the GPX2Image on the GPS is it possible to navigate the tracks rather than just viewing them?

1. yes, the image you have created is just that..an image just like the maps which are not autorouteing. As I begin to use the gpx2img files I still load in some of the tracks as tracks but have them turned off just so I have them if I want to see them...

2. No. all you have is the image, just lines on the screen
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Wow, could 2 replies typed at the same time be any more similar?

Something about "great minds................"

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,385
The real truth of the matter is to understand what the gps will do with routes , waypoints and tracks. To use only 1 of the 3 is to limit yourself and the gps. As mentioned in another thread, I did a trip to Newfoundland this summer with waypoints at beginning of off road tracks and other places we wanted to visit, an image map of my tracks and some of the optional tracks loaded on gps. I could see the offroad tracks, use the autorouting to waypoints and other points of interest and have the optional tracks to display if needed. (never used them). I use a 60cscx and was never limited by the capacity of the gps in 8 days of riding. PLus the gps saved gpx files of each day's ride to microsd chip without point limits so I have a very accurate record of where I was for future reference.
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Just remember, anytime you transfer a map into your GPS, all other maps that were in there, exept the useless base map, will be erased from the GPS.
Oh contrair!

Unlike the truly useless base map in the 78, the base map in the 76 is routeable. I use it all the time in the motorhome.