Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #106
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
I ride twelve months here in CT and this would be a great option in bad weather. I'd really like to see this one make it to market especially if the drivetrain was off the shelf parts without a lot of proprietary pieces.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #107
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"two dozen delivered to feds for crash testing"?, Really?
You have to crash test a motorcycle?
It is a three wheeled motorcycle.
I still have some shares for sell in a bridge in NY. PM me.
True, crash ratings are not needed for a 3 wheel motorcycle, but I believe elio was trying to get a good crash rating anyway.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #108
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,778
Quote:
Federal regulation define the Elio as a motorcycle.
"Motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of
the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground."
It will have to be sold as a motorcycle. That is why the "They said that 2 dozen had been delivered to the Fed.s for crash and safety tests." statement was BS.

Individual states can waiver the requirements of a two wheel motorcycle endorsement for a trike.

For example Florida has a three wheel only restriction which is satisfied by the S/TEP course which I took for sidecar training. Since I already had a motorcycle M endorsement which also includes trikes and side cars I didn't want the three wheel only S restriction.
"Those who pass the Motorcycle S/TEP course will have an "S" restriction on their license. The S Restriction indicates that the person only has permission to operate a three wheeled motorcycle."

Your state is probably different.

I think Alabama is the only state that does not require a motorcycle endorsement. You can get an M endorsement in Alabama but it is not required when operating a motorcycle in Alabama however you need a M endorsement in all the other states.

I suspect we'll start seeing that law transition. Congress is not opposed to altering laws to protect US companies. Just look at what they did to the German diesel passenger cars in 2006. They successfully stopped importation of them using the EPA, and it resulted in us having to buy AdBlue diesels now to meet bogus emissions standards.

Three wheel cars are becoming more popular around the world for their fuel economy. I think the delineating factor will be how it steers and whether or not the cockpit is enclosed.

Remember, there was a time when three-wheel cars were indeed three-wheel cars in the US.

Damn, the gov't just complicates everything.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #109
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,855
Three wheeled cars are popular around the world because they are considered motorcycles and are taxed and regulated like a motorcycle.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #110
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
to say that my interest is peaked would be an understatement. I cannot wait to see and hear more
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #111
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,778
Quote:
Three wheeled cars are popular around the world because they are considered motorcycles and are taxed and regulated like a motorcycle.
Not in the EU. Unless something has changed since I left in 2009, a three wheeler with an enclosed passenger compartment was considered an automobile. I believe it is the same in Canada too.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #112
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
The Louisiana legislature is working to exempt the Elio trike from the mandatory helmet law. From: http://www.ktbs.com/story/22395561/elio-drivers-wouldnt-have-to-wear-helmets ...House Bill 218 makes changes to the definition of vehicles considered "autocylces,'' noting that roll bars in vehicles like the Elio would allow an exemption from the helmet requirement...

However, Elio has failed to raise funds to purchae the former GM S10/Colorado manufacturing plant in Shreveport. So now the local parish (county) commission has approved $7.5 million to purchase the facility to lease back to Elio and others. From: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013130822010
August 22, 2013: Caddo Parish’s Industrial Development Board is set to become the new owner of the former Shreveport General Motors assembly plant.
Commissioners today voted 11-1 to allocate $7.5 million in parish funds to purchase the facility. Caddo Parish’s Industrial Development Board would make the purchase (for liability reasons) and then lease it to Stuart Lichter's California-based Industrial Realty Group, which would assist Elio Motors in setting up operations at the plant and sublease the remaining space....
R1100GS w/CSM Sidecar
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #113
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Not in the EU. Unless something has changed since I left in 2009, a three wheeler with an enclosed passenger compartment was considered an automobile. I believe it is the same in Canada too.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Well I could be wrong but read the EC site below.
"Motor tricycles
L5e Vehicles with three symmetrically arranged wheels fitted with an engine having a cylinder capacity of more than 50 cm3 if of the internal combustion type and/or a maximum design speed of more than 45 km/h"
"Category M - Motor vehicles having at least four wheels and for the carriage of passengers"

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_s...egories_en.htm
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #114
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

From http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...nclick_check=1
"Commissioner Stephanie Lynch cast the sole opposing vote."
"Lynch also is petitioning the Commission to keep their cash and ask Revitalizing Auto Communities Environmental Response (RACER) Trust to re-market the property to find a more qualified and financially stable buyer than Elio Motors."

And LA says it is now considered a motorcycle since they are changing the law to allow none helmet use in the Elio.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #115
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
From http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...nclick_check=1
"Commissioner Stephanie Lynch cast the sole opposing vote."
"Lynch also is petitioning the Commission to keep their cash and ask Revitalizing Auto Communities Environmental Response (RACER) Trust to re-market the property to find a more qualified and financially stable buyer than Elio Motors."

And LA says it is now considered a motorcycle since they are changing the law to allow none helmet use in the Elio.
One Commissioner voted against and the other 11 voted for. And you choose to point out that one was opposed.
Negative Nelly.

I'd say the 11 to one vote is a positive. Majority rule and all that.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #116
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
does anyone else remember John Delorean and the Irish factory fiasco?
The Elio seems too good to be true. If it becomes a reality I'd strongly consider having one. I like the idea of the people of Louisiana subsidizing my ride.
Truly not trying to be negative but it's starting to look/sound like a Nigerian scam (apologies to any Nigerian forum members).
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #117
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
does anyone else remember John Delorean and the Irish factory fiasco?
The Elio seems too good to be true. If it becomes a reality I'd strongly consider having one. I like the idea of the people of Louisiana subsidizing my ride.
Truly not trying to be negative but it's starting to look/sound like a Nigerian scam (apologies to any Nigerian forum members).
Bad example. Delorean was demolished by the Iron Lady. He would have destroyed the English car industry.
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #118
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by halflive View Post
Bad example. Delorean was demolished by the Iron Lady. He would have destroyed the English car industry.

I do not think of it that way.
I remember many many puplic dollrs wasted and gone.
That is the point to which I refer.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #119
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Call me "Negative Nelly" if you want but ...

The least expensive plain jane Ural hack is $10,500 +.
The Harley trike is $35k +?
The least expensive Can-Am Spyder RS is $16,699 +

You gonna buy a Elio with "Keep in mind; your Elio will already be nicely equipped with premium features that are standard. These include A/C, Heat, Power Windows, Power Door Lock, AM/FM Stereo, and more." for $6800?

From http://www.eliomotors.com/faq/

"Q. Is Elio a car or a motorcycle?
According to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) “Motorcycle” means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.” So if it is less than four wheels it is a motorcycle. But what do you see when you look at the Elio? Fully enclosed, power windows, wiper blades, steering wheel, gas and brake pedals … you be the judge.

Q. Can I drive this with my existing license?
Most states do not require a motorcycle license to operate the vehicle, a regular driver’s license is usually enough. Check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to be sure."

Wrong, all states except Alabama require a motorcycle endorsement to operate a motorcycle. Some states like Florida require a three wheel only endorsement if the DL does not have the M endorsement.

LA is (?) going to change the law so that no helmet is required.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #120
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Call me "Negative Nelly" if you want but ...

The least expensive plain jane Ural hack is $10,500 +.
The Harley trike is $35k +?
The least expensive Can-Am Spyder RS is $16,699 +

You gonna buy a Elio with "Keep in mind; your Elio will already be nicely equipped with premium features that are standard. These include A/C, Heat, Power Windows, Power Door Lock, AM/FM Stereo, and more." for $6800? ....

And the Honda NC700X 2-wheeler without A/C etc. retails for US$6999 and returns a mere ~70mpg.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is online now   Reply With Quote