Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #3556
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,389
OK, new subject. The machine shop has twice in the last couple of weeks brought me a small piece of aluminum with a muffed up small hole. They want me to fill it. I can't do it. I can plug the hole, but cannot fill it. The last one was about 3/16" diameter and 3/4" deep open on both ends. I plugged both ends, but know the center was still not filled.

I had to use 5356 because the part was going to be anodized.

Any tricks?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #3557
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 490
Countersink it as much as you can.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #3558
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
OK, new subject. The machine shop has twice in the last couple of weeks brought me a small piece of aluminum with a muffed up small hole. They want me to fill it. I can't do it. I can plug the hole, but cannot fill it. The last one was about 3/16" diameter and 3/4" deep open on both ends. I plugged both ends, but know the center was still not filled.

Any tricks?
Why not simply drill the hole out, so its big enough to be able to fill easily? Better still ask the machine shop to do it for you.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #3559
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
You will find that a blob of weld, and turning out with a vise grip tends to work more effectively than welding on a nut. Its also faster to use a MIG set, if you have space for access.
I know that my original question has diverged into discussion of studs and taps and broken bolts and recessed bolts, etc. But since I brought it up, I'll add some closure to my part of the discussion by showing what I did. It worked, I'm moving forward with the project, and I appreciate the input from all. The only thing I have to add is that I used a tiny dab of super glue to hold the nut in place while I prepped to zap it with the welder.

groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #3560
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,996
You guys are nuts,

and bolts.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #3561
EvoLife
Evolving.....Slowly

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post

Any tricks?
Drill out the hole and press in an aluminum plug so it sits recessed on both sides. Then weld and prep for plating as normal. Depending on what the part is, pressing in a tight fitting plug flush may be sufficient and not require welding at all.

"Today I'm younger than I'm ever going to be, and I intend to act like it"
EvoLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #3562
David R

Laugh Another broken bolt

I really get these every week. This one is a heat treating furnace. 5/8 bolt broken flush with the front. The bolt hols the sill for the heavy door and the pin (rod) the door slides up and down on. I was asked to weld the door sill and rod to the furnace. Its cast Iron, so I said no, I will just remove the broken stud.

I used my Lincoln V160s with 3/32 7018 out of the oven. I built up the end of the stud. As I was chipping the slag off, I could see the stud moving, so I welded a nut to it. I let it cool then screwed the "bolt" out.

An easy one. Charge? Service call 1.5 hours.

See what aI mean, they all look the same after a while.

David
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #3563
The Velvet Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I'm hoping someone can give me some sage advice.

I've enrolled in a welding class at my local vocational institute and had my first class last night, which focused on stick welding. It was a really good class, we were using 6010 rods on 1/4" steel plate, but I'm concerned about the fumes that I inhaled while practicing my technique over a few hours.

The classroom has booths with adjustable ventilation hoods, but I still seemed to be exposed to--what seemed to me, at least--a lot of smoke before the ventilation hood, even at its closest position, could pick it up. It took me a while to realize that the ventilation hoods weren't particularly strong before I put the hood down as far as it would go and still enable me to work. On a couple of occasions the smoke roiled underneath and into my helmet and, while I tried my best to avoid inhaling it, I probably inhaled a fair bit.

This may be completely hypochondriacally (because I've found my exposure worrisome, and I'm prone to such feelings), but today I feel like I have slightly irritated throat after having last night felt a vague metallic taste in my mouth.

I can't imagine that one can inhale this smoke without suffering detrimental health consequences. When I mentioned the issue to few of my fellow students and the instructor (who, incidentally has a horrific cough and confessed to COPD after 55 years of welding), they acknowledged the problem, but no one seems particularly concerned.

So I guess my questions are:

Am I being overly sensitive to the consequences of inhaling the amount of smoke that persists under the circumstances of the ventilated welding booth? Perhaps the amount I'm inhaling does not pose a material risk over the course of the class, and I don't intend to weld except as a hobbyist.

Or, has my seemingly benign desire to pick up the welding skill already exposed me, albeit unintentionally, to a significant and dangerous dose of toxic substances--toxins that are at this moment congealing within me, a time bomb that will resurface at the most inopportune time in my future (like after I win the Power Ball) so as to strike me down with a horrible illness providing a horrifically slow death, during which I beg for sweet release and curse the day I picked up a welding rod--and I would be foolish to ever again stick weld?

In any event, I'd like to continue the class, if I can do so (or am already doing so under the circumstances) safely.

The Velvet Monkey screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 09:52 AM
The Velvet Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #3564
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 490
STOP NOW...Take up a new Hobby/Profession, perhaps something in HealthCare.

Welding is NOT SAFE and NEVER will be 100% Safe...anyone who tells you otherwise is WRONG.

I have been doing it 37+ yrs.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #3565
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
No, welding fumes are horrible.

Next time you open a box of welding rod read the MSDS sheet.

Parkinsons, motor control issues, slurred speech, cognitive problems all brought about by welding fumes.

Especially the heavy metals in the fumes.

Your shop should have a better ventilation system than that. Sometimes the system gets stuffed up and it won't move much air.

Two things, if you have the adjustable ventilation hoods, keep it down as close to your work as you can so it will remove the bulk of the fumes, and keep your head out of the weld. A lot of new welders, especially those who haven't done any welding before, will put their lense right down in the work in order to see the puddle. If you find your lense is constantly smudges over by smoke, you're in too close, Learn to pull back a bit and see what you're welding from a bit further back

Other than that there are high velocity fans which we use to pull the fumes away and some of them aren't terribly expensive. There are also respirators for this purpose, but they are not pleasant to wear under a hood.

Long and short of it: Short term exposure is not a significant issue. Long term exposure is the serious issue.

I'm a steamfitter by trade. We die earlier on average then the general public-- cutting, welding, grinding are three big reasons.

If you think you'll do this seriously or often enough think about creating your own ventilation or look for a better facility. For a guy doing it a couple nights a week for 4 hours a shot, I wouldn't worry myself. But try to keep your face out of the smoke.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3566
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
STOP NOW...Take up a new Hobby/Profession, perhaps something in HealthCare.

Welding is NOT SAFE and NEVER will be 100% Safe...anyone who tells you otherwise is WRONG.

I have been doing it 37+ yrs.
Coming out of high school, I was signed up for a vocational welding school. Even with pretty good booths in high school, the amount of crap I blew out of my nose was alarming. Partly because of this, I changed my mind at the last minute & went into engineering instead. Welding is a fun hobby.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #3567
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Velvet Monkey View Post
I'm hoping someone can give me some sage advice.
don't stick weld... the cleanest form of welding in TIG welding, with MIG welding a distant second. you don't know what sick is till you "just tack" some galvanized together.

but the farther away from the work piece the better and good ventilation is the key. not so good that it sucks or blows your shielding gas away though.

and a good helmet is also key, harbor fright is not the place to shop for a helmet no matter what anyone says, even if your just doing it for a hobby. you will know when you wake up the next day if your helmet is not up to snuff because your eyes will hurt and there is no soothing it.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #3568
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
I concur with dmaxmike.

I don't think he's got to worry about his shield quite yet. No QC to bust him on porosity.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #3569
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by benesesso View Post
+1 on the shield, but he should probably learn stick--depending on his future plans. There are so many conditions where stick is the way to go.
+1

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #3570
David R

I try not to breathe the fumes.
I try to master ALL welding process.

I do know if I breathe galvanized fumes (the white smoke) it gives me the shits and the shakes in the middle of the night. It only takes once.

I weld some nice clean parts from machine shops. The cutting oil gets hot and makes all kinds of smoke. I finally built a ventilation system using a saw dust system from harbor freight and a garbage can lid for a hood.

The cleaner your work is the better the weld and less hazard to you. Parts I tig get cleaned with a rag and alcohol based solvent. Just don't leave the rag or solvent near the welding bench

David