Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #31
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I wonder whether adding ethanol to fuel is something that has more to do with greed/increased profit, than any real concern for the environment?
Its all about politics. Pure BS Politics. The farm lobby has alot of money to throw at the "right" representatives.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #32
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Its all about politics. Pure BS Politics. The farm lobby has alot of money to throw at the "right" representatives.
Anyone who remembers the 'brown cloud' problems associated with wintertime gasoline consumption, particularly in regions where inversion layers can trap polluted air, can appreciate why ethanol and other oxygenators have been mandated by the EPA and local regulators.

That ethanol is the oxygenator of choice does indeed have to do with the power of Big Agriculture and the representatives of ag-producer states. The current backlash against alcohol blends as vehicle fuels has as much to do with the power of Big Oil as it does with any real problems with ethanol fueling.

To avoid getting this thread kicked to the CSM basement, I'll just post this link here: www.openfuelstandard.org.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #33
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I guess Efuel certainly does have something to do with big business generating ever greater profits, but its also very useful in propaganda terms, as most believe that Efuel is of benefit to the environment.

Interesting that spurious claims that MTBE additives were finding their way into the public water supply in the US, and this was causing cancer, set the stage for hassle free introduction of Efuels worldwide.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #34
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Anyone who remembers the 'brown cloud' problems associated with wintertime gasoline consumption, particularly in regions where inversion layers can trap polluted air, can appreciate why ethanol and other oxygenators have been mandated by the EPA and local regulators.

That ethanol is the oxygenator of choice does indeed have to do with the power of Big Agriculture and the representatives of ag-producer states. The current backlash against alcohol blends as vehicle fuels has as much to do with the power of Big Oil as it does with any real problems with ethanol fueling.

To avoid getting this thread kicked to the CSM basement, I'll just post this link here: www.openfuelstandard.org.
You hit on the importance of understanding an issue in its complexity, which is not easy. Ethanol fuels do some good, but unfortunately, corn-based fuels cause as many or more problems than they address. At least we have fuel to burn, as the alternative is the end of the world as we know it
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I guess Efuel certainly does have something to do with big business generating ever greater profits, but its also very useful in propaganda terms, as most believe that Efuel is of benefit to the environment.

Interesting that spurious claims that MTBE additives were finding their way into the public water supply in the US, and this was causing cancer, set the stage for hassle free introduction of Efuels worldwide.
MTBE was billed as an alternative oxygenator but leaking fuel station tanks revealed it was getting into drinking water supplies. Not good.

The ironic thing is not that "most believe that Efuel is of benefit to the environment," but that people gloss over the damage that dino juice is doing to the environment. Compare the harm an alcohol spill does vs. a gasoline spill.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Its all about money! If those pulling the strings could make good profit out of selling something that gave users cancer, then it would certainly be on the market.............But hey tobacco is on the market, and actually does give users cancer, but no sign of that being banned like MTBE!
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote