Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #12736
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
While on the topic of RD03.

http://suchen.mobile.de/motorrad-ins...184146455.html

If I leave for Frankfurt tomorrow on an A330 something tells me my clothes will be on the front lawn when I get back.

I can dream...
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #12737
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,922
Drink Coffee get Courage

Only 16000 kilometers .....WOW

Go see the Wizard, Wayne

I'd say it's worth the risk. You could ride it for a season, sell it and still make a profit.

Tell her it's better than Mutual Funds

That thing is really nice.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #12738
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Only 16000 kilometers .....WOW

Go see the Wizard, Wayne

I'd say it's worth the risk. You could ride it for a season, sell it and still make a profit.

Tell her it's better than Mutual Funds

That thing is really nice.
Maybe a qwik stop here before I depart back home and all will be good.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...any___co_.html

It's a beauty all right.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #12739
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Bribery almost always works
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #12740
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
The whole point of keeping the TA frame (which is essentially identical with the exception of a few minor brackets) is to NOT have to re-register anything thereby eliminating all those fees, queues, and almost irresistible need to shout at someone.
True... but that means the TA disappears! Not sure I'm very fond of that happening

Won't I still possibly run into trouble later on when my engine numbers don't match though? Or is it easy to get a title amended with a new engine size/number? Thankfully all I've done at that there DMV is reregister bikes and transfer titles.

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #12741
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
but that means the TA disappears!

No, it just EVOLVES. Darwin would love ya

Engine numbers depend on the State DMV. I think most states record frame numbers only....but even if they want the engine number, engine swaps are common.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #12742
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
The whole point of keeping the TA frame (which is essentially identical with the exception of a few minor brackets) is to NOT have to re-register anything thereby eliminating all those fees, queues, and almost irresistible need to shout at someone.

Man you guys need to stop justifying spending all his money. At this rate we'll never start this RTW thing.

Oops, spoiler alert.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #12743
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum View Post
Man you guys need to stop justifying spending all his money. At this rate we'll never start this RTW thing.

Oops, spoiler alert.
I'm expecting all this engineering shenanigans to pay off

Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #12744
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Bribery almost always works
Is it bribery if she simply doesn't notice an RD03 because of something shiny she's wearing?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #12745
MarcusM
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi guys.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.
I just recently bought a new-to-me 2003 Honda XRV 750 (Africa Twin).

Bought it with below 30.000km on the odometer, and it came with a GPS (Garmin 60csx), panniers and fog lights. So it's ready for adventure!

Coming from a 1992 Honda NX 650 (Dominator) this big is just a beast!

A few pictures

Honda XRV 750, Africa Twin by Marcus Møller, on Flickr

MarcusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #12746
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
very nice may you have many miles of smiles

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #12747
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 125
Hej, hej Marcus, velkommen til Adv rider! I've had some good times in Demark.

Congratulations on the AT...still a great bike and never been successfully replaced in my opinion. It's suprisingly good off road with the smooth power delivery and geometry despite it's weight. Makes a gret adv tourer for a place like New Zealand especially.

A couple of things to consider, fuel pump contacts can burn out (you can just get the contacts) or replace with a facet and also the reg/rect can go. Check the forum and is a common weak point due to the connectors and general design etc. There's a mosfet upgrade or just take a spare (Electrosport make them). Other than those things it's a reliable bike. Enjoy!

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #12748
KT1
RD07A Adventure

Oddometer: 202
River Danube in Hungary

Honda XRV-750 -1998
http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #12749
radiantpath
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi

I ride a '90 RD04 for a couple of years and I have a question about touring windscreens.

I know that a tall touring screen is always thought of as superior to the original in terms of wind protection. Recently used a Powerbronze made tall flipup screen, and it was a bit of a disapointment. It was nice to look at and was ok in terms of wind protection but definitely not better than the original screen. It was different, like it directed all airflow directly to the helmet visor - it's impossible to ride anything above 50-55 kph (35 miles) with visor up. There is significant wind noise at higher speeds.

With the original screen there was significant turbulance but it was not that constant, more of a sudden pressure on the helmet sometimes, still frustrating but at least it didn't appear in lower speeds.

So, the question: is it possible, that any of the fancier taller touring screens, like MRA Vario will be any different is is it me who is defecting? I'm 183 cm, not that extraordinary high. Is it worth the extra price or just go with the original setup?

For other purposes on a tour recently with wind and rain I removed the Powerbronze screen alltogether and it was not that unpleasant to ride without any screen at all - at least not that bad compared to the tall screen I used in the days before.
radiantpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #12750
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantpath View Post
Hi

I ride a '90 RD04 for a couple of years and I have a question about touring windscreens.

I know that a tall touring screen is always thought of as superior to the original in terms of wind protection. Recently used a Powerbronze made tall flipup screen, and it was a bit of a disapointment. It was nice to look at and was ok in terms of wind protection but definitely not better than the original screen. It was different, like it directed all airflow directly to the helmet visor - it's impossible to ride anything above 50-55 kph (35 miles) with visor up. There is significant wind noise at higher speeds.

With the original screen there was significant turbulance but it was not that constant, more of a sudden pressure on the helmet sometimes, still frustrating but at least it didn't appear in lower speeds.

So, the question: is it possible, that any of the fancier taller touring screens, like MRA Vario will be any different is is it me who is defecting? I'm 183 cm, not that extraordinary high. Is it worth the extra price or just go with the original setup?

For other purposes on a tour recently with wind and rain I removed the Powerbronze screen alltogether and it was not that unpleasant to ride without any screen at all - at least not that bad compared to the tall screen I used in the days before.
Sounds like your new screen is just tall enough to be in the no-zone. A short screen with no wind protection will keep your helmet in constant airflow, so you feel the wind pressure, but it can get tiring. A proper tall screen will put the wind flow over your helmet so you don't feel any wind at all. What you've got seems to be right in the middle, where you get all the wind buffeting right in the helmet. That means your head gets shaken around and you get dreadfully loud wind noise that is unbearably tiring. IMO a taller screen is worth it for a quieter and smoother ride.

I'm too tall for my aftermarket windscreen as well (189 cm) so I put this on and it's great now.

You can see if something like this will work by putting your hand at the top of your windscreen while riding and see how much extra height you need on your screen.