Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #376
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Hopefully been enjoying this weather....

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #377
Gookas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumb

Great thread and stunning pictures! I will be heading over to Scotland in a couple of weeks and your thread has got me psyched to see some of that scenery. Unfortunately, I will be checking it out from a Vauxhall Astra. Oh well, still can't wait. Keep posting pix of your rides.
Gookas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #378
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
An update (of sorts) is in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser2312 View Post
Hey Matt. Been out lately?
Hi fella. Yeah the weather has been great but not been on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Hopefully been enjoying this weather....
See above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookas View Post
Great thread and stunning pictures! I will be heading over to Scotland in a couple of weeks and your thread has got me psyched to see some of that scenery. Unfortunately, I will be checking it out from a Vauxhall Astra. Oh well, still can't wait. Keep posting pix of your rides.
Thank you very much. You'll still enjoy it. You'd only dislike the car if you'd been round on the bike. Feel free to share a few pics when you're touring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My bike is in the garage right now getting its MOT and a few things fixed. Leaking forks were leaking oil onto the brakes and I wasn't going out with dodgy brakes. I'll have it back tomorrow just in time for some nice weather and since I haven't been out for a while I will definitely have some catching up to do.

Since an update wouldn't be an update without photos, here we go:

Inmate Platinumgrit dropped in one day to say hello. We grabbed some lunch and swapped stories/righted the world's wrongs. He's a good guy but I'm kinda glad that Cruella was off the road. There's no way I would have been able to keep up with him! Here's his Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/StewartWild?view_as=public

------------------------------------------------------

There's a new arrival in the fleet. Not mine sadly but Bob the Stepdad's. It a gorgeous Kawasaki W800. I kinda hope he ends up hating it so I can snake in and buy it off him on the cheap.

----------------------------------------------------

I'm going to cheat here and post a few photos of a trip I took in the car. I spent a week on the remote(ish) island of Luing at my uncle's holiday home. It's lovely up that way and makes me want to move house. Falkirk is so drab in comparison. So with sincere apologies to the site mods and administrators here are some photos I took.

Luing:

Ellenabeich:

Eilean Dubh Mor:

I don't really like posting pics from car trips but hopefully with the bike back tomorrow that'll be the last time it happens!

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #379
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
The site mods will just have to deal with it. Those are some beautiful photos. Makes me want a sailboat.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #380
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Hi Matt,
Your step-dad's Kawa looks like it just came off the showroom floor! Magnificent! I'm looking forward to more of your reports once you've got your bike back. The photos above are beautiful, as we've come to expect from you! Thanks! You were out and about scouting a new route to ride, eh? heh, heh...
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #381
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Good stuff, looks like the weather will be here for another week at least, just dodge those midges

More fun being upright
Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #382
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a quick one.

Yikes, nearly two months without an update. Negligent.

Tuesday was the first time I've been out on the bike in ages. I've been out of work now for so long that stuff like road tax and fuel is a bit of a luxury at the moment. Tuesday was a nice day though, and more importantly, the third anniversary of my Dad's death. So a trip to the Duke's Pass seemed appropriate.

Being back on two wheels felt good. All your troubles disappear when you're on a bike. Unless you crash of course.

Thankfully though, I didn't crash. That does remind me though that the last time I was out, I nearly dropped the bike pulling into the driveway. God that Deauville doesn't half weigh a ton when it's at an angle. Just lucky that I'm so athletic, I suppose.

Step-dad Bob was also out on one of his bikes. His 30 year old BMW. He was heading elsewhere so I didn't wait for him and left while he was still getting his gear on. Imagine my surprise then when passing Stirling Castle on the far side of the town I see him standing in a layby on the phone. Just how slow am I that a guy on a bike the same age as me can leave 5 minutes after me and be on his way back from somewhere just as I arrive? And he had time to get off his bike and relax. I had bad traffic though

Anyway I was heading for Callander and would then take a dodgy backroad that I'd never been on before. A quick break in the car park and I was en route. Except I forgot my plan 30 seconds later and rode past the turn off. Dementia at 31. The road was a bit of a non-event tbh. No room to do any real riding and the trees blocked the view. I wasn't on it for long though as it quickly drops you onto the A821 (Duke's Pass road).

I was keeping it short so I wasn't riding onto Aberfoyle. There's a layby alongside the loch that my my Dad and I had stopped in a few times for a break and a blether [translation: chat]. I parked up. grabbed a seat on the rocks and chilled out for a bit. And took a few pictures.

Loch Venachar:

I wasn't there too long. I was enjoying the bike too much to sit about. The ride back was more of the same as the way out. Uneventful but nice. It's apparent that we're at the end of the summer though. Despite the sunshine, it wasn't exactly warm. Might need to take the neck warmer out of the pannier soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will endeavour to get out more in the short time I have left (of the summer, I'm not dying). And I still have a load of videos to upload. It takes hours to get them online though and the internet here isn't exactly robust.

Before I go, here's an old one of me with my Dad.

My Flickr
Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #383
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 414
Good to see you out and about again.

Nice pics, as always.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #384
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Hola Matt, did you get the oil leak fixed? Think weve done alright this summer compared to the last few, up to Newcastle in a few weeks to see my old man, wont have time to get over the border but it is nice riding around with less traffic

More fun being upright
Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #385
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Good to see you out and about again.

Nice pics, as always.

Cheers,

JM.
Thanks man. Twas nice to be out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Hola Matt, did you get the oil leak fixed? Think we've done alright this summer compared to the last few, up to Newcastle in a few weeks to see my old man, wont have time to get over the border but it is nice riding around with less traffic
Yeah it was the front forks seal that was leaking. Got it all sorted. It's actually quite funny because I when I was on the Forth Road Bridge I was going over speed bump things. All the while joking that I was glad I didn't have a BMW as it would fall apart with the stress. D'oh!

Weather has been nice. I've been out and enjoyed it. Just not on the bike.

My Flickr
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #386
Kamchat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Hi Matt, good to see you are still out and about taking great pics.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #387
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Hallooo Matt! Great to see your latest. No worries it wasn't more dramatic....you had a good ride nonetheless. Sorry to hear about the difficulty finding employment and associated money woes. You're not alone in that, for certain. Hoping that things pick up for you all around, but especially so that you can have the pounds in pocket to get out riding more often. Cheers to you for continuing this RR!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #388
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Great to see you back Matt, we need to meet sometime! Cracking photos as always.
fraser2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #389
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Good to see you back on two wheels.
Indeed, summer seems to be out already, but at least we got 10 good weeks straight, which is more than in other years.

Keep snapping 'n riding
Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #390
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Blackness Castle

As the summer comes to a close, days to get out are getting few and far between.

It was nice today (Sunday) though so somewhere new was the order of the day. I had a lie in though so the order of the day was also for somewhere close.

One of the many cool things about living in Scotland is that you're never far from a castle. I couldn't even list the ones within 50 miles of my house. I'll almost certainly not going to be able to visit them all on my lifetime but I'll take a decent stab at it before time's up.

So I decided on Blackness Castle. I'd never visited it before it's only half an hour away. So it ticks both of the required boxes.

Weather was cracking. It's not going to be hot at this time of year but with the gear on, that's welcome. Nice ride all round. Bit weird when I pulled into the carpark though, as everyone was looking at me like they'd never seen a biker before. I was beginning to wonder if I'd just ridden into someone's wedding.

Built in the 1440s, ownership has changed hands a whole load of times. Most castles in Scotland have been passed from one generation to the next, sacked by someone else and given away as a present. This has a similarly colourful history. In this case it was mostly used as a prison.

The castle is pretty impressive. You get a great view as you head down the road to the front door. Apparently it looks like a ship from certain angles but I won't be buying a helicopter any time soon to test that out.

Blackness Castle:

It was good. I didn't go inside as I'd told my girlfriend I'd go with her. So I'll go back another time and take more photos. And after that, I came home to find out she'd made these:

Bonus!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hopeful the job situation will change soon which would mean that it'd be harder to get out during the week when I prefer it but bills must be paid and it would mean I could afford petrol!

Fingers crossed for some decent late season weather.

My Flickr