Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #241
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ked View Post
well, i made it 300+ miles to Iowa City. seat is too soft and my butt hurts. but my first day with a hack and there are no green (grass) stains on my rig, and no brown stains in my pants. any explanations needed here?

i accidentally brought the chair tire off the ground while riding behind DB. it was over before i freaked and i actually laughed.

anyway, thanks to Dave for his help, and we didn't argue at all. we had some great conversation.

the rig pulls to the right even with the electric lean maxed out, so i guess it is time to re read the stickys and start learning how to adjust things. gotta start somewhere.

all in all, i think it is a nice rig and with a few adjustments, i hope it will perform even better.

thanks to Dave and Bill, if reads here, i know he has been on ADV.

on the road in the morning. 550 miles to go!

ked
Very cool, enjoy, concentrate, take your time, enjoy!

Props to DB for his assistance.

Some random thoughts on your rig pulling to the right. First, you added air to the rear shock, raising the rear end, that would change the basic alignment. (assuming the setup was done with the shock as you first got it)
Second, if your staying on secondary roads, 'generally' the more rural they are the higher the crown, exacerbating your pull to the right, and possibly accounting for running out of corrective adjustment with the electric lean.

again, take your time, enjoy and learn!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #242
ked
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Very cool, enjoy, concentrate, take your time, enjoy!

Props to DB for his assistance.

Some random thoughts on your rig pulling to the right. First, you added air to the rear shock, raising the rear end, that would change the basic alignment. (assuming the setup was done with the shock as you first got it)
Second, if your staying on secondary roads, 'generally' the more rural they are the higher the crown, exacerbating your pull to the right, and possibly accounting for running out of corrective adjustment with the electric lean.

again, take your time, enjoy and learn!
thanks for the advice. the rig was pulling to the right before we added air and it still pulls to the right. while on a US highways, with a flat road, it seems that max height is best, but still not neutral. i can tell by the look of my bikes dash (out of level) that is is leaning out to the left.

i am going to start a separate thread, so we don't hijack the thread.

ked
Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #243
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,327
Out and about

I was in a coffee shop in Red Wing MN and I'll be damned if I looked out and there was a Freedom sidecar from CSM.

Strange little Italian car it said F355GTS

Little old ladies like sidecars better than strange Italian cars.
Sitting and watching for almost an hr 4 groups of people entered the lot got out of there vehicles and went over to look at the sidecar rig.Claudes right lots of smiles even with Justin sitting with me, they then noticed a Ferrari was sitting next to it.Damn that would tell me if your going to buy a Ferrari be damn sure you get a red one.DB
Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #244
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I've had a lot of "sweet young things" [of course at my age "young" is relative] tell me that my sidecar rig is a bigger chick magnet than any sports car.

I've started carrying an extra, cheap, helmet so I can give short test rides when asked. Lots of fun. Doesn't happen so much when my Life Manager is with me. Go figure.

Duncan
Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #245
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Musta been an old fart drivin' the Ferrari...

Couldn't even park the thing in the marked space!

BTW, miss when the old station there was a Hardies... The new owners took out the whole collection of railroad artifacts and trashed the interior. I used to stop there all the time when I drove for Hostess, found a place out back big enough to park a semi.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #246
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
Couldn't even park the thing in the marked space!.
I noticed that also, you know a little too much about everything GearheadGrrrl ! Cold out on the prarie today ? it was grey windy and cool most of the day here and on the Wisconsin coast.DB
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #247
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Gimme a brake !

No really whose brake pads do inmates like ? I had some Carbone Loraines brand X that I got from beemerboneyard and they don't seem to cut it, they glaze and become useless after being really heated up, they also seem to stick to the disks. I spray them with brake cleaner blow them out with compressed air and then they are ok untill they get hot again. I put some EBC double h in tonight and they seem much better to start.
Anyone have a favorite brand and model ? On a single brakes last me forever, I'm reasonably quick but always felt using the brakes allot was a failure to pay attention.This sidecar stuff is completely different, you need goo brakes and be prepared to use them.DB
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #248
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
I've been using EBC for a couple years now in all my Beemers.Have very good luck with them..I think you will ;like them...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #249
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
No really whose brake pads do inmates like ? I had some Carbone Loraines brand X that I got from beemerboneyard and they don't seem to cut it, they glaze and become useless after being really heated up, they also seem to stick to the disks. I spray them with brake cleaner blow them out with compressed air and then they are ok untill they get hot again. I put some EBC double h in tonight and they seem much better to start.
Anyone have a favorite brand and model ? On a single brakes last me forever, I'm reasonably quick but always felt using the brakes allot was a failure to pay attention.This sidecar stuff is completely different, you need goo brakes and be prepared to use them.DB
try cutting some groves in the pads Dave. Also are your rotors drilled? Actually I don't use a lot of brakes ...uh..usually.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #250
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

suburban-machinery.co

Added a set of these today they lower my feet an 1" trying to get sore knee under control, more comfortable.
Also tweaking loosened up shock damping setting for more comfort and preloaded swaybar ( I'm guilty of endless curiosity) on tug side.Went for a ride, I like it, goes left better than right, feels like I have too much spring under sidecar so I took a turnout when I got home(if only I had a camber adjuster )DB
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #251
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,380
I use the sintered sic? EBCs. They work well on the bike.
The pads on the tub are stock whatever DMC puts on. I wish I knew what the part number was. I am in need of new ones.

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #252
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 153
brake pads

I like EBC organic pads, they work for me and are easier on the rotors than sintered pads
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #253
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post
I use the sintered sic? EBCs. They work well on the bike.
The pads on the tub are stock whatever DMC puts on. I wish I knew what the part number was. I am in need of new ones.
The brakes DMC put on my rig are Brembo. I bought a set of pads from DMC, but their mark up was pretty steep, and since then I've found other sources for a spare set. The Brembo part number is 107268642. Google Brembo and that part number and you will find multiple sources at 1/2 half of DMC's price
Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #254
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
The brakes DMC put on my rig are Brembo. I bought a set of pads from DMC, but their mark up was pretty steep, and since then I've found other sources for a spare set. The Brembo part number is 107268642. Google Brembo and that part number and you will find multiple sources at 1/2 half of DMC's price
Thank you! 1/2 the cost is more in line of what I can afford right now.

Stroker is right about the sintered pads being hard on rotors. I started using sintered pads because I like to go fast, brake late and pass deep in the turns. Ok, that was on the track with two wheels, (most of the time) but I really like how they stop when I now weight in at 1300# more or less. For me, it's worth the trade off.

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #255
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,305
new battery box

Battery box installed on the rail or against the car between the driver's foot peg ?
Can you send close up pictures of it

R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote