Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #46
blackcat54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
How effective is the BV350 windshield/fairing at highway speed?

From the looks of it, it doesn't look as effective as a Burgman 400 type setup.
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #47
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54 View Post
How effective is the BV350 windshield/fairing at highway speed?

From the looks of it, it doesn't look as effective as a Burgman 400 type setup.
Stock Burgman 400 windshield sucks - seriously it vibrates at speed and produces a thumping on your helmet. First mod most people do is to either replace it with a Givi or get a Laminar lip to go on it. We went with the lip which helped but did not eliminate completely.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #48
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
That's precisely why I sold my Burgman 650 a number of years ago. I never could solve the vibration/helmet buffeting problem. I also tried the lip, which helped a teensy bit and I rebelled at the idea of replacing the windshield with an aftermarket one. I mean, why couldn't Suzuki solve this problem?
Old 12-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #49
303whodat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quick follow up on my post, 05 burg ended up selling for 1350 with 34k miles. I miss that bike terribly and will buy back from buyer if/when she sells. Replaced with an 05 burg 650. Commute required a little more weight, was getting blown around a bit on 2 lane roads.
303whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #50
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGHEAT View Post
Well my VSTROM sale fell through and in the meantime the Burgman and Kymco scooters have sold. I'm going to keep trying to sell the V but if it sold tomorrow I'd probably throw in the towel on highway riding and buy a smaller scoot that would allow me to park my truck and run errands around town.

With that said, a late model used Zuma 125 is at the top of the list!

Once again, I appreciate all the info I received.
The Zuma 125 is just not going to do what you want. While I have hit an indicated 60 mph, that was at full throttle on a level road, and maybe a slight tailwind. And even on moderate hills, or into a strong headwind, the speed drops way down, and the engine starts pinging and knocking loudly. I also don't think it is a good idea to ride these small scooters at full throttle all the time.

The Genuine Stella is slower than the Zuma on the road, but it will climb anything with it's manual transmission with a super low first gear that lets you keep the engine speed up while moving slow. But it is an ancient design, and requires a lot of care and love to keep it going. Not what most people seem to want.

For a CVT scooter, you are going to need displacement. I don't know if a 250 would be enough or not, and it is twice the size of a 125. A 125 is basically a city scooter.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #51
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Jerry's right. A 125cc scooter is fine for short trips to the grocery store, but if you'd like to expand your horizon's a bit (and eventually you will) the best choice would be something between a 125cc (I once owned a Yamaha Vino) and a 650cc Burgman (I owned one of those, too), such as what I've got now: A 2012 SYM HD 200cc, which will not only putt around town, but accelerate smartly to get out of harm's way but is also able to propel you down the road at 65-70mph all day long. Disc brakes for and aft, liquid cooled motor, and 16" wheels. I'm amazed that I didn't know about the SYM earlier in my scooter sampling.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #52
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,284
FYI: there's no 2012 PCX 150. There's only a 2011 PCX 125 and the 2013 PCX 150. If someone is trying to sell you a 2012 PCX 150, I think there's a problem. If the PCX turns out to be the 125 and not the 150, I would no buy it. The 150cc is far superior to the 125.

Given your 3 choices, I would go for the PCX 150 but I am totally biased. I don't think there's a better compromise on the market today. it's light, fast, gets great gas mileage and can go the distance. Get a top box and/ or a bigger windshield and you could do some touring with it.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #53
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Don't really know squat about the scooters you mentioned but from your listed options I'm seeing the words FREEWAY and HILLS pop out at me. Then I'm looking at your choice of displacement and I'm seeing 150, 200 & 400. I put the two together and come up with the Burgman, or a Burgman-like scoot as your only real option.

Brianwheelies just grabbed a used Kymco that he takes all over Nevada, but I believe it's a 250 and don't know how many mountains he's climbed with it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #54
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizontal View Post
Don't really know squat about the scooters you mentioned but from your listed options I'm seeing the words FREEWAY and HILLS pop out at me. Then I'm looking at your choice of displacement and I'm seeing 150, 200 & 400. I put the two together and come up with the Burgman, or a Burgman-like scoot as your only real option.

Brianwheelies just grabbed a used Kymco that he takes all over Nevada, but I believe it's a 250 and don't know how many mountains he's climbed with it.
An SYM and my hill testing of the Baker Grade on highway I15 had the bike down to 50mph at the highest grade%.

Other times, still heading up hill, it would still pull 65mph.

There is a member of the SYM forum who posts here as well who has taken his SYM RV250 all over the western US.

I would take my RV to most places but going up mountains is not always comfortable.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #55
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

I forgot to mention in my last post that my SYM HD 200 has to go up rather steep hills every day. My town, Bisbee, AZ is in a wishbone canyon in the Mule Mountains. There simply are no level streets. All streets off Tombstone Canyon or Brewery Gulch are uphill, and a few are memorable for their steepness. Especially High School Hill. The high school (now closed) is a four-story building and each story has an entrance onto the street (it's in Ripley's Believe it or Not). I can stop the SYM at the bottom of the hill - approximately one block long - and be going 30mph at the crest. A fellow scooterist has a KYMCO 150 and it seems to do almost as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #56
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Off subject for a moment-cdwise said: "Stock Burgman 400 windshield sucks - seriously it vibrates at speed and produces a thumping on your helmet. First mod most people do is to either replace it with a Givi or get a Laminar lip to go on it. We went with the lip which helped but did not eliminate completely."

I had the same problem with the stock windshield on the SWing when I bought it. It was awful...lots of buffeting and vibration and didn't stop a lot of wind, either. I put on a Givi AirFlow, which has a top piece which is adjustable. No more problem at all, ever...no buffeting, excellent wind protection and you can lower the top piece in the summer to get some breeze and raise it in the winter to deflect the wind. Here's a pretty good shot of the bike with the AirFlow:

In addition to the SWing, Givi also makes AirFlows for the Burgman 400, the Kymco Xciting 500, the Piaggio MP3 250/400 and the Yamaha TMax. I highly recommend it. No, I don't work for Givi...just very impressed with the product...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #57
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Precisely why I sold my Burgman: Buffeting and thumping of the helmet. Sometimes I had double vision, as in two black cars coming at me on a 2-lane road. Which was the real car?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #58
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
That's precisely why I sold my Burgman 650 a number of years ago. I never could solve the vibration/helmet buffeting problem. I also tried the lip, which helped a teensy bit and I rebelled at the idea of replacing the windshield with an aftermarket one. I mean, why couldn't Suzuki solve this problem?
Suzuki probably could solve the problem, and also like the Silverwing windshield, showroom looks trumped functionality.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote