Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #17986
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi MrPulldown,

Ride quality wasn't changed a bit. At least not as far as my insensitive posterior can detect.

Adjustability was definitely improved...even after riding in plenty of dirt, rain, power washes, etc. It certainly makes adjustment easier. I don't try to keep it clean and it still seems to work just fine.

McMaster-Carr, IMHO, has some of the best shipping rates of any industrial supply house. I used to worry about what they would charge, but I no longer care beforehand. I order stuff from them frequently and I'm always pleasantly surprised. BTW, you can always phone them and ask them the shipping rate over the phone (they have always been helpful when I've called). The only time you'll be dinged for double shipping charges - IME - is if you are ordering parts that are from two different warehouses (most of my orders come from LA, but occasionally something I'll want is located in Chicago and is not currently in stock in LA, etc). Oh, and if you order a bunch of smaller stuff and then some 5 or 6 foot long stuff, they'll pack the long stuff in a separate tube.

The bearing mod isn't necessary nor high on my recommended list, but I'm glad I did it. Easy to do if you have the shock apart for service, etc.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Thank. Will be pulling apart the rear suspension this winter and planning stuff I want to do. Since I almost never adjust the preload, I think I will pass.

Good to know on the shipping, with McMaster Carr. Some places really jack you on shipping.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #17987
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
2002 DRZ 250 forks rock!!!

Ok, got the correct .50 forks springs in, with 15 wt fork oil. Rode it around some, no real off road use yet. Man these forks are an improvement over the stock forks with cartridge emulators! Runs over the rocks in my yard much smoother, up and down the curb and through my wife's little rock garden, very nice. On the road it feels like the cracks and holes in the pavement are gone, at least with the front wheel. All of a sudden, the rear spring is feeling wimpy, can't wait to get the back end fixed up too!
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #17988
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
I can't take credit for this idea. My inspiration comes from another inmate, RuggedExposure, and from earlier in this thread. Here's a link back to what he did. I love the look of his setup. I bought a Millermatic 185 a while bike and I finally decided to see if I could put it to use. This was my first time on a welder, and to the trained eye I'm sure that it shows. But I'm pleased with the way it turned out, and glad to have a little bit of storage with the bike. I had an old bed frame made out of angle that had been sitting in the corner of the basement for about 10 years. I cut it up and started welding. I may end up getting some larger ammo cans down the road, but for now these will be fine.

That's an awesome job for a first time welder. I recently picked up a little Lincoln wire feed unit. Hopefully my first attempt will be as good as yours.

Couple of questions. Are you going to put some tie down points on the rack portion?

And are you going to paint the boxes? Don't ask me why but one of the bikes I'd like to own one day is a white f800gs. I'd mount black .50 cal cans and stencil "GS" seven inches tall onto the sides with a little overspray for that refined-sudo-rat-bike look.

Or it might look terrible. Just tossing ideas out there.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #17989
lancruza
On a Mission

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
That's an awesome job for a first time welder. I recently picked up a little Lincoln wire feed unit. Hopefully my first attempt will be as good as yours.

Couple of questions. Are you going to put some tie down points on the rack portion?

And are you going to paint the boxes? Don't ask me why but one of the bikes I'd like to own one day is a white f800gs. I'd mount black .50 cal cans and stencil "GS" seven inches tall onto the sides with a little overspray for that refined-sudo-rat-bike look.

Or it might look terrible. Just tossing ideas out there.

Thanks, I am probably going to drill a few holes in the rack so I can have some places to hook bungees or straps, or I may weld on a couple of hooks. I hadn't thought about it until this afternoon when I went to strap on my tail bag. Go to the link in my original message and you can see what the ammo boxes look like painted black. RuggedExposure built a similar rack last year and he painted his black.
lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #17990
lancruza
On a Mission

Oddometer: 81
Heres a couple of pics of RuggedExposure's DR350 setup with black ammo boxes.

lancruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #17991
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
there is a hose that goes from my cranks case to airbox.
the end that connects to the end of the airbox is completely melted. must have fallen off or something.

where can I get these fittings?
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #17992
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Heres a couple of pics of RuggedExposure's DR350 setup with black ammo boxes.

Definirely one of the best looking DR's out there.

I've seen it before but this is the first time I've noticed the vanity plate.

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #17993
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakser View Post
there is a hose that goes from my cranks case to airbox.
the end that connects to the end of the airbox is completely melted. must have fallen off or something.

where can I get these fittings?
Its part number 13850-14D22 (breather tube) - you can't get the fitting by itself from Suzuki but the whole tube is available at a number of places including I am sure your dealer.....but bring your wallet - $60-70 is what I saw online.

If it were me I'd go to the nearest auto parts store and find something that looks remotely the same then adapt it.....
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #17994
brownvv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
what are the 99 forks worth?

I have a 98 dr350 I am getting ready to turn into the next project. these forks really are nice but I have a set of inverted forks ready to bolt on already. I put my other set of 99 forks on my it200 and they are fantastic on it. not going to lie I kinda felt like a trader doing such a swap being a huge dr nut. anyways I have a beefy top triple clamp. fork brace, forks and front wheel off the 98 and I was considering selling it to help pay for the build. there are none on ebay right now so whats all that worth?
I might be interested in trades if anyone on here is interested
brownvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #17995
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownvv View Post
I might be interested in trades if anyone on here is interested
What do you want in trade? I have an almost complete '93 dirt model I'm parting out....

I just bought a set of these forks for $100 off Craigslist, but I could use another.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #17996
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 444
Damn little bike impresses the hell out of me. 150+ miles through the mountains looking for some likely wild trout streams. Bike never missed a beat - from 5mph rocky sidehill to 70mph WFO into a headwind heading up the highway home. Little bike done good, definitely a keeper.

Did fine a couple spots worth checking out, some new beaver dams in the area.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #17997
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post

Bike never missed a beat - from 5mph rocky sidehill to 70mph WFO into a headwind heading up the highway home. Little bike done good, definitely a keeper.
Yeh, that's how they roll. Keepers.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #17998
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Its part number 13850-14D22 (breather tube) - you can't get the fitting by itself from Suzuki but the whole tube is available at a number of places including I am sure your dealer.....but bring your wallet - $60-70 is what I saw online.

If it were me I'd go to the nearest auto parts store and find something that looks remotely the same then adapt it.....
I am not sure if thats the right part for my 1990 s model.
either way. it looks like I can just make it work with a piece of tube from the autopart store and some clamps.
any reason not to go this route?
what does this tube do anyhow?
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #17999
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakser View Post
I am not sure if thats the right part for my 1990 s model.
either way. it looks like I can just make it work with a piece of tube from the autopart store and some clamps.
any reason not to go this route?
what does this tube do anyhow?
It's an emissions thing mostly. sends petrochemical laden air into the intake to be burned off. Also feeds filtered air into crank in negative pressure portions of the cycle.

I don't think that rigging something up from the parts store would be any big deal so long as you got everything tight. Remember this is post filter so any leaks send dirty air into your motor.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #18000
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:

Looks like a good start. Seems like this is bolted down in one location only. The top bolt. You have two vertical tabs to take care of the side to side motion. But it would serve you better to use the two side mounting holes. Similar to what Rugged did with his. The rotating torque is not constrained.

Might also consider some gussets on the vertical units that the boxes hang off of. Those boxes are heavy to begin with and the simple 90 degree joints won't fair well.