User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #1891
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,194
Been there done that and have the matching camping t-shirt.

Skip the toy hauler unless she rides too. :O

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #1892
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Yeah, I can see that coming already. We haven't even looked at the thing yet and she's talking about dishes.
My wife had fun outfitting the Raindrop - sheets and comforter cover/pillow cases had to match...dishes we had but getting all the pieces to fit together - she did a great job that thing travels and everything stays in place even on quite rough roads..

Hey, it's worth it to have it right and with all it's own hardware we never have to do anything but add food and water to go. It's so easy.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #1893
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
what do you guys think of hybrids?
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #1894
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post

We bought an '04 R-Vision (21'?) last year. Nice enough rig, and has decent room when opened out. Also usable in a minimalist sort of way when closed (like when you get to the campground in the middle of a storm, or bears have just eaten the last two tent campers in the area).

The kid is 15, so he and a buddy occasionally go with us; but in a couple of years when he's busier or less interested in family time, I think we'll either want something smaller, or maybe something with just hard sides. The tent ends mean that for security, weather protection, bears, etc. it's not a great deal different from a big pop-up; plus the canvas needs maintenance and perhaps eventual replacement.

On the other hand, it does have a 'full' kitchen with stovetop, micro, oven and fridge; and a bath that's fine for skinny people who don't need much hot water to get clean. I shit and shower in the campground facilities, because to do otherwise would not be appreciated. The flip side of the fold-out tent ends is that with the windows unzipped, you get terrific ventilation in warm weather and for sleeping.

Towing: Although it's technically not as big or heavy as a hard side with similar accommodations, what kills your gas mileage is the frontal area. At 8X8, it's no more aerodynamic than a longer trailer. Pretty much pushing two sheets of plywood down the road. We have an '04 Silverado with the 5.3, which gets 15-16 on the highway, 12-13 in town, and 9-10 pulling. My FIL's '11 F150 V-6 gets in the high teens or better in normal driving, but 9-10 towing his 30' ultralight hitch-pull camper. I suspect that either truck, pulling either camper, will get 9-10 mpg.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #1895
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Similar feelings here: You get the worst of both worlds...

The mileage penalty of a hard-sided trailer
The weather/security hassles of a pop-up.

I own a pop-up.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #1896
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
Similar feelings here: You get the worst of both worlds...

The mileage penalty of a hard-sided trailer
The weather/security hassles of a pop-up.

I own a pop-up.
Pretty much sums it up. Not too many popups you couldn't pull with a minivan or small SUV if you had to. We had a small (8') popup until someone backed into the yard and took it. Minimal accommodations, but we could hook up in a few minutes and pull it anywhere in the Midwest with pretty much whatever we were driving at the time (Pontiac Vibe, 4-cylinder old-style Odyssey, V-6 Escape....... ). With the hybrid, I wouldn't want to pull it too far with anything less than a 1/2 ton, which would just as easily tow a longer hard-side.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #1897
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 781
we owned a pop-up for many years, pulled it thousands of miles with a jeep Cherokee I6 auto, it was a nice combo (except the putting it down wet thing), after that we went through the hole motorhome, big TT, truck camper thing.

Now we still have the TC and it does work well for what we do, but I still miss the light weight small campers.......it is a toss up for us whether the TC or the light TT's are the best option.

here is the TC we now have, other than being very heavy we really like it, but like y'all have said, you can tow a light camper with darn near anything.

1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #1898
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,336
^^^^^^

That's freakin' sweet!
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #1899
norcal-SAHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
We had one for a few years, it was a 17' single axle with tents on both sides. It worked well for what it was, but it really didn't suit our needs. Here's my problems with it:

- not great for on the road Wallmart type stopovers, which it turns out we do quite a bit. Feels funny to pop out the ends in a parking lot, and it's noisy inside.

- not great in cold weather. Again, it turns out we like winter camping. It's cold and WET in those tent ends. After a cold night with the furnace running almost constantly, it's nearly raining on you from the condensation on the tent ends.

- If you fold it up wet, you have to open it up to dry at home. Not a 'problem', just an inconvenience.

We eventually went to a regular hard sided trailer which suits our needs better. In my case we already owned a one ton van, so weight didn't really matter. To be honest, I get about the same mileage now with our 24' 5000# travel trailer that I did with our 17' 3000# hybrid (about 9mpg towing at 55-60mph, Ford V10).

The biggest upside is the airy feel of the tents. But if we want that, we just put up a tent and sleep outside the trailer.
norcal-SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #1900
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,060
I'm finding it hard to beat this little combo. A pop up is fun, but there's nothing like being able to pull in late and just going back and crawling in the sack. Or stopping for a bathroom break and having your own bathroom with you. Or just having cold beer on board and not having to stop for ice every day.

I'm getting avg 20 mpg at 55-65 mph in very hilly terrain. Van gets upper 20's not towing. It's no race horse, but it goes. No problems.

When I get a bike across the V of the tongue, I'll be covered. *

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!

hppyfngy screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:47 PM
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #1901
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,570
Sweet!

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4020723420.html

Incredible design and only 3 ever made. Beautiful combination of classic teardrop camper blended with a motorcycle trailer. What more do you need?

Designed and built by a Seattle designer in 2002. He only built three of these trailers so the likelihood of you ever seeing another one is very slim.

This trailer is built like a brick house. Steel frame construction with aluminum skin. Fully adjustable air ride suspension. Dump it to load the bike and pump it to go. Has compressor and two tanks on board. Trailer weighs 1600lbs. with a 300lb. tongue weight. Tows like a dream.

It has a pump sink with a 5 gal. tank and a white gas stove inside a metal lined drawer. Lots of storage for dishes and food.

Comes with queen air mattress, pump, a couple of camp chairs and even your own lawn! (small patch of astro turf if you want it)

Pictures hardly do it justice.

No affiliation, just thought it was too cool not to share..
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1902
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Little/light bike to go with a little/light camper.

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #1903
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal-SAHD View Post

I get about the same mileage now with our 24' 5000# travel trailer that I did with our 17' 3000# hybrid (about 9mpg towing at 55-60mph, Ford V10).
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #1904
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
We have a 21 foot hybrid. We like it, you get the sleeping room of a much bigger camper in a smaller package. If its just the wife and i we don't need to mess with the fold out tent.

That being said i am always designing campers in my head that are smaller and lighter and still work for us. I have never seen what i really want.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #1905
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Yeah, I can see that coming already. We haven't even looked at the thing yet and she's talking about dishes.
Gotta keep'em happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
I'm finding it hard to beat this little combo. A pop up is fun, but there's nothing like being able to pull in late and just going back and crawling in the sack.

When I get a bike across the V of the tongue, I'll be covered. *
I like that too, and I'm really like'n the tongue set up on our little trailer..............gotta keep me happy too

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: