User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
Resurrecting this one......they are still supplying the mount with this problem, screw is way too short, the link above was a god send today.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Resurrecting this one......they are still supplying the mount with this problem, screw is way too short, the link above was a god send today.
We have four Rugged Mounts here and they are all still working properly. Once in a while my wife complains that she can't get the screw to fasten but if I just push the movable part in, and jiggle the gps a little to make the teeth on the mount go right into the slots on the gps, it always works. Maybe that was your problem?

I'd be surprised if Garmin was putting shorter screws in now, unless you got one of the defective stock.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I bought an AMPS mount direct from Garmin about 6 months or so ago, and the security screw wouldn't engage.

They replaced it with another one, but I have since fitted one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Thumb-Scr...-/260684608371

When that link eventually dies the description was "50 Thumb Screw M3x10mm M3 For DIY Computer PC case Bl".

I just mounted it in a drill and used a file to grind down most of the threaded section, leaving a few mm of thread on the end and fitted the little spring and circlip from the standard screw.

And now I have 49 spares
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
Trust me, I tried for about 20 minutes, different ways to get that thing to engage.

Garmin is sending me a new mount, I have to say, even though they may be slow to fix something in production, their customer service is pretty stinking good.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote