User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #241
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Oddometer: 94
New kits available again,

just write me a PM to get ordering and shipping info.

regards
Gerben
Dr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #242
Nytro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Nice Surprise

Received my kit in four days!! Nice surprise!
Looks like I'll be back on the 950 a lot sooner than I was expecting.
Thanks Dr. Bean!
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #243
CBRacerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Maybe the first failure?

I installed mine today and it doesn't work. Followed the instructions and the solder joints look great. I get one brief "flurp" from the pump and that's it when I turn on the ignition during the test with the pump disconnected from the tank. I installed it all back on the bike and plumbed it up - the bike ran till the carbs emptied out then died.

Of course I have a long trip Sunday and track event Monday - was looking for more reliability, not DOA. I PM'd Dr_Bean for suggestions, but I have a feeling my 30K+ mile points are going to have to be installed again.

Damn.
2008 135i 'Vert
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #244
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRacerX View Post
Of course I have a long trip Sunday and track event Monday - was looking for more reliability, not DOA. I PM'd Dr_Bean for suggestions, but I have a feeling my 30K+ mile points are going to have to be installed again.

Damn.
hey, I allways help people install their kit, and IF really the kit doesn't work you will get a new one (although you would the first!, and it is remarkable how few people post here report that the kit is working...)
and actually 95%of the issues I get from people are simple mis-installed, the 5% are pumps that are dead (usually heavily corroded, or blown-up diode)

SO: I would have appreciated that you first contact me for some advise, before calling it a DOA ....
you forget to tell that you ordered the kit begin on June, so you already had it sitting and waiting for 3 month!

All kits are tested by me on a real pump before shipping.

btw:there are people that did more than 100'000km with the original pump AFTER installing my kit. The only occasional return I ever get are pumps that have been completely flooded for a long time, and the kit is stil working, but the pump-rod is corroded and gets stuck. Usually form SE drivers who take their SE out in de mud, clean it with High pressure cleaner and then have the bike sitting for several weeks before using it again...

Dr_Bean screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 02:52 AM
Old 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #245
CBRacerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Bean View Post
hey, I allways help people install their kit, and IF really the kit doesn't work you will get a new one (although you would the first!, and it is remarkable how few people post here report that the kit is working...)
and actually 95%of the issues I get from people are simple mis-installed, the 5% are pumps that are dead (usually heavily corroded, or blown-up diode)

SO: I would have appreciated that you first contact me for some advise, before calling it a DOA ....
you forget to tell that you ordered the kit begin on June, so you already had it sitting and waiting for 3 month!

All kits are tested by me on a real pump before shipping.

btw:there are people that did more than 100'000km with the original pump AFTER installing my kit. The only occasional return I ever get are pumps that have been completely flooded for a long time, and the kit is stil working, but the pump-rod is corroded and gets stuck. Usually form SE drivers who take their SE out in de mud, clean it with High pressure cleaner and then have the bike sitting for several weeks before using it again...
All Better! Dr Bean continues to offer an excellent option. Once I took high Rez pictures and viewed them on the computer, I could see my solder joints were not the best. Went to Radio Shack and got a new solder gun, and the difference using that was profound. Once the joints had good flow, the pump works like a charm.

Thanks Dr Bean for your quick response via PM and offer to assist via email.
2008 135i 'Vert
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #246
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 400
Hi there Dr Bean.

Just to say your product arrived here in the Falkland Islands a few days ago. By next week I hope to have it installed on my SE in Santiago Chile. I'll send you a pic! Thanks.

Geoff
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #247
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,907
After more than a year of letting this kit sit on the shelf while life got in the way, and several situations where a facet pump died and then came back to life 10 minutes later, I finally got around to installing the kit on my original fuel pump- good directions, the install went smooth, I'm back in business.

Now, my bike feels like it's running a hair leaner, with a little more popping on decel. Anyone else feel like the difference from the facet to the oem pump makes a small difference in float bowl level or something?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #248
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Now, my bike feels like it's running a hair leaner, with a little more popping on decel. Anyone else feel like the difference from the facet to the oem pump makes a small difference in float bowl level or something?
With the OEM pump, the fuel-pressure is determinned by the spring load of the pump.

With my kit I have a minimum re-activation time of the pump leading to the fact that the spring may be slightly more compressed during low fuel use (Idle). So IF it does change anything, it could only be very very slightly higher pressure, leading to a higher float-level (if at all any change).

I have not received any such comment from anyone who purchased my kit so far. but it is always good to hear and consider.

I do not have any compare with the Facet pump: so I cannot answer that one.

I actually guess it is just a feeling, or a slight difference caused by e.g. the whether change :-)
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #249
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Got my Dr. Bean kit in today, and the bike runs beautifully. Here are the old points:

The pump would run for a bit then stop, and I would have to drop the skid plate and bang on it while flipping the kill switch to get it to go again. Bike has 48k miles on it, and the pump was definitely replaced at least once in the past.

Now, the pump runs properly, and it sounds like it cycles faster as well. This also got rid of a weird intermittent vibration I've been chasing at highway speeds, as well as some odd throttle behavior. I think the points were just hanging by a thead and the pump was barely functioning.

The instructions provided are very good; it only took about 10 minutes to install from start to finish, and that is including letting the soldering iron heat up. Good stuff!

Thanks for continuing to support the 950 community with an awesome product!
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #250
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

you're welcome!

ps.: I would also like to hear comments (positive or negative) from people who have this kit now for longer time. Thing is: they mount it... and forget about it. I am making it now for a couple of year and know there are bikes that did more than 100'000kms after installing my kit on the OEM pump.

if there is anything I can still improve on it, I'd like to hear that and see what I can do!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #251
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Mine did not work first time, either! Then I turned the fuel on. Only have 4,000 miles on the Dr. Bean pump fix but am confident it is going to last a long time. Thanks for the great product.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #252
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Bean View Post
New kits available again,

just write me a PM to get ordering and shipping info.

regards
Gerben
What payment method ?
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #253
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
What payment method ?
from US only Paypal works. You can do a wire transfer... but at the cost of 50 dollars on your side that is pretty rediculous.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #254
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
pm

pm sent
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #255
akio
n00b

Oddometer: 3