Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #511
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Using the 1-3/4 gallon rotopax cans puts them down so low they almost touch the ground under full shock compression. Flipped the hoops and swung them bottoms towards the bike by relocating the lower mounting hole so the tanks are essentially level, while sharing the same underbelly plane as the tub's main tube.

Would hate to have a stump miss my foot pegs and trailer load only to rip off the lower hanging up-sized Rotopax.

CG is higher, but then again so is the entire bike on a dual sport like the WR, so UP went the tanks to match. Will post photos as able.
Photo as promised;

Also ditched the "hugger" fender. It packs with mud and acts like a reverse thruster when/if it locks up the tire.

Now if only I can get a motomule.com decal set for the new rear fender

etingelefunts screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:10 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #512
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Photo as promised;

Also ditched the "hugger" fender. It packs with mud and acts like a reverse thruster when/if it locks up the tire.

More pics of that red Jeep in the background please!
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #513
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
.....Or better yet, take it apart and ship it to me and I'll fix it for you. I'd like to learn from it so that future trailers will be better.
NICE !!

MrBracket gave me new bearings for mine, due my abuse and neglect,
I insisted I pay for them, then he just sent them n/c.

YMMV, but.....What a guy !!

VERY deserving of more business
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #514
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Next upgrade is replacing the modular undercarriage sectioned tube with a single 2" x 2" square tube, .062" wall (same thickness as the round tube which I believe is between 15 to 16 ga)
Even empty, no gas in cans, she has always had a tendency to weeble wobble after sudden steering input, which feeds back to the bars. The swingarm flexes too. I bushed the axle tube to about .010" over the skewer diameter which helps. After the more rigid square under tube, the swingarm will be replaced with a flipped-around and cut down aluminum swing arm from a donor dirt bike, de-horned with a spliced in head tube using the Moto Mules original head tube bearings.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #515
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Tire rubbing

Hi Mr Bracket,
Some user tips for other owners, and an FYI regarding my experience with my beloved trailer;

During initial assembly I observed the MM web site and assembly instructions and opted to place the rear wheel hub's accessory side (with 4 hole flange) on the right side as seen on the MM web site. Still had to tighten the axle bolt with a little "English" to keep the knobbies off the inner left swingarm. Murphy intervened, and the axle settled towards center where the tire wound up rubbing a deep groove into the steel arm. I had noted during assembly the bearing spacer sleeve protruded out both sides as opposed to being captured between the inner races, protruding more to the accessory flange side on the right, which allowed the tire to favor left where it tended to rub. The distance between the un-sprung axle flanges measures 4.06", yet the cumulative span of the bearing sleeve and 2 aluminum spacers is a mere 3.89. The thinner of the two spacers provided was .210". Fashioning a .375" replacement eliminates the compression of the swingarms during assembly which prevents the swingarms from encroaching on the knobbies as much. Also it appears the left swingarm flange tries to spring inwards when tire is dis-mounted (bent inwards ???), which in theory would help keep the tire off that side, but once the axle nut is snug, it (left swingarm's axle flange) returns to parallel with the opposite side, and the rubbing commences. Flipping the accessory flange towards the left side, centering the internal bearing/axle sleeve, and introducing a thicker spacer to fill the surplus span between the uncompressed axle flanges has pretty much put the tire's knobbies equal distance from either inner swingarm leg. Truing and tightening the fairly new rim's spokes (good SOP in any book) may help further.

If you ever revise the swingarm for a wider one with more knobby clearance, I'll buy the first one you can spare.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #516
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Hi Mr Bracket,
Some user tips for other owners, and an FYI regarding my experience with my beloved trailer;

During initial assembly I observed the MM web site and assembly instructions and opted to place the rear wheel hub's accessory side (with 4 hole flange) on the right side as seen on the MM web site. Still had to tighten the axle bolt with a little "English" to keep the knobbies off the inner left swingarm. Murphy intervened, and the axle settled towards center where the tire wound up rubbing a deep groove into the steel arm. I had noted during assembly the bearing spacer sleeve protruded out both sides as opposed to being captured between the inner races, protruding more to the accessory flange side on the right, which allowed the tire to favor left where it tended to rub. The distance between the un-sprung axle flanges measures 4.06", yet the cumulative span of the bearing sleeve and 2 aluminum spacers is a mere 3.89. The thinner of the two spacers provided was .210". Fashioning a .375" replacement eliminates the compression of the swingarms during assembly which prevents the swingarms from encroaching on the knobbies as much. Also it appears the left swingarm flange tries to spring inwards when tire is dis-mounted (bent inwards ???), which in theory would help keep the tire off that side, but once the axle nut is snug, it (left swingarm's axle flange) returns to parallel with the opposite side, and the rubbing commences. Flipping the accessory flange towards the left side, centering the internal bearing/axle sleeve, and introducing a thicker spacer to fill the surplus span between the uncompressed axle flanges has pretty much put the tire's knobbies equal distance from either inner swingarm leg. Truing and tightening the fairly new rim's spokes (good SOP in any book) may help further.

If you ever revise the swingarm for a wider one with more knobby clearance, I'll buy the first one you can spare.
It sounds like your wheel has become "un-true" or it has at least shifted to one side. If you tighten the spokes on the side with too much gap, you can pull the tire away from the swingarm on the opposite side. Be sure to only adjust them a little at a time, and work your away around the whole rim. If the spokes get too tight, you can loosen the ones on the side that is too close to the swingarm. After you get it moved over, true the wheel.

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #517
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
It sounds like your wheel has become "un-true" or it has at least shifted to one side. If you tighten the spokes on the side with too much gap, you can pull the tire away from the swingarm on the opposite side. Be sure to only adjust them a little at a time, and work your away around the whole rim. If the spokes get too tight, you can loosen the ones on the side that is too close to the swingarm. After you get it moved over, true the wheel.
It runs true within 1/16 minimum to 3/16 (1/8" average) at the rubber, almost perfect at the rim as delivered. Flipping it around proved your point. Just wish there was more that 1/8" clearance per side when centered. Might try a modified YZ80 swingarm for the tire to compliment the larger swingarm that is replacing the front attaching arm.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #518
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 532
nice fender!

Quote:
Photo as promised;

Nice fender & Rotopax mount! Wish you could put some eyeballs on the Rotopax caps; nobody could follow you with a straight face
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #519
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Nice fender & Rotopax mount! Wish you could put some eyeballs on the Rotopax caps; nobody could follow you with a straight face
Yeah.... Its like a "two-can" bird

Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #520
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #521
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Tweaked it a little and all is well. Your advice rounded out the equation.
Perfect trailer !!
Thanks.
Mr Bracket... do you know the rear shock spring rate (lbs per inch) ???
There's a cycle shop near me with a few used FOX shocks I'm considering. One of them has the correct eye spacing, damping and rebound adjustment, all I need to do is see if FOX carries a compatible spring (not too stiff or soft) for direct swapping their shock onto your trailer.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #522
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Mr Bracket... do you know the rear shock spring rate (lbs per inch) ???
Thanks in advance for any reply.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #523
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Bump the inquiry above
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #524
etingelefunts
retem-odo

<<<<(link to signs of life)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #525
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Ha Ha, yep still alive and kickin!

I do not know the exact springrate of the shock spring. It's an aftermarket shock for the little 50cc pitbikes. I designed the swingarm around the shock, rather than sourcing a shock for a design I already completed.

MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote