Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #2086
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Hey, those not far from Ithaca, IRCS is having a bipe fly-in sept. 28.

Any bipe or multi-wing, fuel or electric!

I hope to be there with my Fokker D-VII.
FYI, AGS is having the vintage fly in this weekend. 35 year old design or older. We usually get a big crowd.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #2087
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,829
The Sopwith Camel, Triplane, DR1 etc are all great but they are overdone. I really love that DH2 or some of the bombers that they had. They really were trying to figure out what worked best in the air and that led to some crazy designs.

Russian Ilya Murometz V series

Bristol Braemar

Those are the ones I would love to see RC models of
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #2088
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
I really don't think that any of the WWI planes have reached the over done state yet. We are not talking about Mustangs and Corsairs here. WWI planes are usually a little harder to do, and I think very hard to do in foam. Planes like the camel have a VERY short nose....hard to get it to balance right.

I can only think of 1-2 ARF camel and DR1 planes in wood and none in foam. We have two Albatross planes now in foam, and two SE5's both long nosed planes. Not a great deal of choices for those that do not want to build.

Truth be known if PZ or someone came out with a DR1 or Camel, Pup....something along those lines I would pre order.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #2089
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,324
Flight report.

I stated a page or two ago that I picked up a Helimax Novus FP 200. The bird flies very well. For a FP heli, maneuverability is pretty good. Was flying in a 6 or 7 mph wind and still had plenty fwd movement. As would be expected, she is fairly stable.

The only issue I had with it is a ball link failure, the pitch link to the swash plate. Luckily, I noticed her getting wonky and got it on the ground without any damage. The replacement part should be here shortly and I will give her a bit more of a wring out and see how she does.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #2090
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,024
I'll have to dig around, I'm sure I saw somebody with a DR1 micro rtf somewhere.

WWI, WWII, any scale model is a PITA, it just varies depending on the generation. WWI you're concentrating on cockpit, engine, guns, all the exposed stuff, WWII it's cockpit, landing gear details, surface details on the airplane. Always something.
I saw this monster as a plastic model kit and got one of my fellow club members interested in building it. He's drawn plans in 1/5 scale, I believe, which works out to about 100" wingspan or so. I joking talked about doing it in 1/3 scale but that's about 163", not undoable, but a little challenging for a beginning builder. 1/4 puts it around the 120" or so range, not too bad, but it's an unproven model and as far as I know has never flown as R/C. Should be a decent flier...

And just for S&G, here are a couple pics from our club's Dawn Patrol last year. Great turnout, great weather... plus a great venue. Yes that is a real JU-52 in the background...

Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #2091
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,829
Whoa! Nice pics!!!

And FPGT...very true, they are not Mustangs or Corsairs. And for a micro DR1, Flyzone has one.

And I goofed in my post...I said Triplane, DR1. Implying that they are different planes when they are the same. I got the SE5 and DR1 messed up in my head.

Oh and the SE5 is on sale at Tower Hobbies for $40 I believe for the RX-Ready version.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #2092
zoldar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
My hanger. DWFoamies 40" Juka, Parkzone Stryker, 32" EPP Yak55

zoldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #2093
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,491
Ah. You must live near VA Beach.

Saw the WWII event in May. Spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l View Post
Old 09-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #2094
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Tower's SE5 to me does not look that great. I think it is along the lines of Durafly's and modeled on a reproduction not the real plane. Did not know about the micro....but then again I care nothing about micros.

But found the next plane for me....been a long time coming. Really needs a repaint however....I mean really....what where they thinking...other then that it does not look too bad, and after all we have so many choices in this plane...I am thinking an all black night fighter....I think all the antennas will not be too hard to do....but you know Cali will have a ton of different decals for this when it comes out...if not before.

One of these years I will learn to imbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wo4...layer_embedded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Whoa! Nice pics!!!

And FPGT...very true, they are not Mustangs or Corsairs. And for a micro DR1, Flyzone has one.

And I goofed in my post...I said Triplane, DR1. Implying that they are different planes when they are the same. I got the SE5 and DR1 messed up in my head.

Oh and the SE5 is on sale at Tower Hobbies for $40 I believe for the RX-Ready version.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #2095
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Ouch

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...222576101.html

Quote:
A 19-year-old man playing with a remote control helicopter in Brooklyn lost control of it, sliced off the top of his own head and died Thursday afternoon, law enforcement officials said.

The helicopter enthusiast, identified by officials as Roman Pirozek Jr., and his father were in Calvert Vaux Park at Shore Parkway and Bay 44th Street in Gravesend.

Pirozek also sheared off part of his shoulder, officials said.

Witnesses told detectives Pirozek was performing a trick with the model helicopter when something went wrong, according to law enforcement officials.

The model helicopter was worth about $2,000.

Sources said friends of the victim told investigators he often performed risky tricks with model helicopters.

Pirozek's neighbors in Woodhaven, Queens said he worked at Kennedy Airport and was a quiet but "really good kid." They said he and his father flew model helicopters almost every weekend.

Pirozek's social media accounts were filled with references to his hobby of flying remote control helicopters. On Aug. 25, he wrote on his Facebook page, "Great day for flying, the new frame brace is working great, breaking in some new packs I just got, they are the best that I have flown so far and loving them."

Pirozek graduated in 2012 from the High School for Construction, Engineering and Architecture in Queens, according to his Facebook page.

-- Brynn Gingras contributed to this report.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #2096
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,222
Sad. Sounds like he was a good kid, Align sponsored, too. Rant/ That said, the lack of any common sense I see with some heli pilots makes me wonder this doesn't happen more. Personally when I see somebody at the field flying a 600+ size heli, I watch from the cover of the shade shed. I am a decent hell pilot and have up to 550 size ships but you will never see me hovering inverted and doing 3D right in front of my face with anything bigger than a 130x. I've seen too many in-flight failures and dumb thumbs to risk it. /rant.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #2097
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Yes real shame...to go all Oliver Stone on you....I hope the media does not go all nutz over this. They already hate our "drones" this might give them another weapon in their belt...they are deadly.

These things are dangerous, so is a skill saw...you have to respect what they are and can do....this said by a person that still can't type right because of the knot on my finger tip.

On a positive note I broke the cherry on my 1400mm P40 last night....what a great plane.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #2098
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,024
Getting close...

Checked CG, looks like it may need nose weight. OH well.. not entirely unexpected.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #2099
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,491
Had a fun day at the hobby shop yesterday. One of the employees moved to Saturdays only because he took another full-time job. So, I stopped by to see him.

The E-Flite UMX ASK-21 sailplane dropped to only $50 so he bought one and we were debating whether to get out the high-start or not. It has been raining here, lately, so we were trying to watch the storm. We caught a break between showers and customers and then an idea hit us.

Pull up the ASK with the store's DJI Phantom and release it! It was great fun. We rigged a short line to the ASK along with a weight so the string wouldn't get caught in the Phantom's props after release. We towed the glider nose-up and released at around 300 feet. The Phantom stayed in altitude/GPS hold via another employee and the ASK owner flew it successfully to the parking lot. Great fun!

I'll see if I can get a copy of the video.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #2100
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,411
a few posts back I asked for some guidance and advice about the run time of my Tamiya Supershot.
been super buys of late but on the weekend got some proper fun time with - well for 9 mins at a time! From so info given on another forum - TamiyaBase, with the battery and motor set up, I could expect 9 min runs - and that is what we get.

Yes, it has bearings all round and the drive train is very free, no binding, and spins well.
I wondered if the ESC was overheating and so put it on the out side of the car, (see this post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2055)

Turns out it makes no difference, but it is a complex job to put it back in side so at the moment it is staying there.

I went to the local shop that is now picking up where the RC Specific shop left off after it closed down, and they confirmed about the run time with the batteires we have. Will look at some larger batteries and possibly an better charger - an Ansama (?)

now for a pic

to be honest, so far, I have enjoyed the tinkering and building more than the driving. Next will be to get the Bigwig finished. I am also thinking of building a custom chassis with easier access to parts, but got a few things in the way of that yet.

thanks
Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: