Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
September 13, 2013 - Day 5

Parkways are for Winners
September 13, 2013 Ė Day 5
Out of nowhere, Mississippi tossed me some curves. A serpentine line replaced the road winding through trees and houses, leading me further into rural Mississippi. Despite the rough chip seal road surface with pothole accompaniments, I was enjoying such a change of pace from the straight and narrow.

West on a North road, then West on an East road. Mississippi roads are messed up. I detoured for a quick moment near Alberdene Dam, hoping to get to a nice position for photos. I missed the turnoff, but kept along the detour as it looped back around to the road I needed to ride, anyway. It wasnít exactly the super-twisties, but it was a fun side trip.

I wanted to go southwest, and found out that the Natchez Trace Parkway tended along that direction. Parkway it is!

The Natchez Trace reminded me of the bastard child between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Colonial Trail, just less popular than either and a lot straighter. But the lack of traffic and just-placed trees managed to keep the temperatures a bit cooler than otherwise off the Trace.

I came upon the tornado damage area from 2011, and it was a shocker. One moment I was cruising along a lush forest, and then BOOM, ragged scrubs, skeletons of trees, and a general swath of recovering death popped out of nowhere.

At one stop I wanted to get some video footage, so went about setting up my GoPro for a drive by shot. For some reason my mind was on the setup (and hoping nobody would steal my camera), so I managed to drop the Ninja as I forgot to put down the kickstand. Sigh. First time ever doing that. The drop snapped off the outer ľ of the left foot peg, so it now matches the right. A Ninjaís accessory components Ė mirrors, footpegs, etc Ė are made of super-brittle cast aluminum and snap if you look at them wrong. It cost me two mirrors before my frame sliders came in. Oh well, at least I got the shot and shaved off a few ounces of weight.

At a few spots, you can actually view the original Trace. Nowadays itís little more than a path in the woods kept there only by the park rangers, but itís a cool sight.

Lunch was my custom Almond Butter Gorp.

Actually itís a pretty tasty and super nutritious meal. Plenty of protein. I stretched out and took a break at a rest stop on the Trace, and enjoyed the shade.

I hopped off the Trace and took Old Port something road, recommended by locals online. It was a treat. The road surface was chip seal and somewhat rough, but it was twists and turns with some sweepers for fun. A great detour, all around, and it lead me to my first confirmed ethanol free gas fillup. Canít say I noticed a difference.

I said hello to a few turkeys, I think.

The Cyprus Swamps were awe inspiring. My mind canít place why I found them so enamoring Ė the water was completely stagnant, the trees towering, and the wind still. While everyone else was at the river bend, the quiet swamp was mine entirely.

As hotels were starting at $57 before tax and I found a state campground at $18 with hookups, bugs and sweat it was! Iím glad I had a freestanding tent as the spaces were geared for RVís with no soft ground for tents. I got a little creative as rain necessitated the rain fly, and guy lined it around the tire of my motorcycle.

There were some left behind/stray cats in the camp site, including one that looked like a smaller version of the cat I have at home. It jumped on the picnic table to drink some water I left in a bowl when it thought I wasnít looking. Such a sad sight, but I couldnít take the critter with me.

That night I slept a bit fitfully as the temps didnít start to really cool till midnight, and as rain was so scattered I had to leave the fly on. This held in the heat longer, causing me to toss and turn a decent bit through the night.

Daily Stat Whore Stuff
Daily Mileage: 317.1 miles
Total Trip Miles: 1704.1 miles
Daily Time/Moving: 7h 55m /5h 55m
Speed Max/Moving Average: 72.9 MPH / 53.5 MPH

kamikazekyle screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 04:56 PM
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Really like the bridge picture. Like the contrast of the green against the bike on your bike.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Really like the bridge picture. Like the contrast of the green against the bike on your bike.

Later
John
Thanks, John. Another bridge picture coming in today, because that's the only photos I really got.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Why Did I Do This Trip?
September 14, 2013 - Day 6
I had no idea the name of the town -- nearly from the start the various dots of population in Louisana blended together. The local drivers blared around without a care to law, residents gave me eerie looks, and the entire state was caught in a giant orgy of insects taht stuck to every surface like glue.

I folded away the atlas, saddled up, and eyed the turn out of the parking lot to the intersection. There was some sand in the far tire track, but there was no traffic, the light was green, and if I swung the corner in a steep enough lean I could dodge the sand. I popped out of the parking lot and pushed the bike down while I rolled on the gas. Alas, my rear tire decided it wanted to keep going as it kissed the sand, only to suddenly regain grip out of line with the bike. Instantly I was tossed upright as the bike tried to buck me off in a highside crash right in the middle of the intersection. I'll be damned if I was going to bungle it with such a silly move, so I held on, kept the throttle constant, and rode it out. By the time I was across the intersection the bike had settled out and I escaped with merely a stubbed toe when my foot slipped off the peg. I didn't feel any panic, fear, or concern during or after the incident -- merely a sensation of "what else do you wanna throw my way, you bastard? Bring it the fuck on."

I hate Louisianna. There, I said it. Well I shouldn't say I hate the whole state, but outside of the Gulf and New Orleans it takes some planning to actually find something interesting to do. Who wants 55 MPH speed limits on flat, straight roads with two mile sight lines, anyway? The locals sure don't. There are also some interesting dual sport opporunities I passed. Perhaps I'll revist the state with my Sertao and hit up everything I missed -- this time with a plan. I did veer off from time to time to swing around some twisties on the map, but by and large it was straight line humping from tiny town to rural cluster of buildings.

It was at one of these small towns where I pulled over at a bank (weekend so they were all empty) to wipe the splooge off my helmet, and had a chat with my girlfriend. I was quite down and wondering just why I was doing this trip -- it certainly wasn't working out like I had hoped. But after some talking I pepped up a little and continued on.

Gassing across the border at Logansport into Texas, vegitation disappeared as soon as I left the bridge. "Here, welcome to Texas! This is what you think it looks like, right?" I enjoyed the cheap gas at the border, however.

I was a bit bored so hauled out the atlas for ideas. Hey, that's a twisty road that goes down next to the Toledo Bend Reservior. Let's do it. I was introducted to Texas secondary roads, and was wondering from bend to bend why the secondary roads in Virginia weren't this nice. Sure, the chipseal based road wasn't as grippy as asphault and seems to eat tires, but by God it was a full two lanes, not that many pot holes or patches, and even had LINES. No traffic, either.

Riding my high I came across a bridge on the Reserivor with a boat launch. I yanked in for some photos and a rest stop (here I was introduced to >100F temps in the Texas sun).

After my photo session I suddenly realized my bike looked a bit more streamlined. Yep...my GoPro 3 Black mount had completely fallen off somewhere. That would explain why my remote couldn't find any cameras, hence a light photographic content day. Oddly I wasn't upset -- I think I was burned out by that point and just didn't care. Saddling up, I finished the twisties and made my way to Texas 7.

This road kindly introduced me to 75 MPH speed limits on non-interstate highways with residences right against the road. I cheered up as the speedometer ticked higher. The road was still chipseal, but hilly and with gentle sweepers and quite refreshing. As fast as the interstate but without the traffic and better scenery -- still fairly green and plenty of trees compared to what most people initially think the whole of Texas looks like. Eventually I putzed into Nacogdoches and splurged $60 on a Best Western. The whole "it's so hot it's cooler OUT of the wind" bit pushed me in that direction.

So far, so good in Texas. I quite like it. Hot as hell even in September. I can deal with heat no problem while I'm awake, but can't sleep at all unless it's cold. Outside of that and the kinda harsh/more-slippery-than-asphalt roads, it's a great state.

Daily Stat Whore Stuff
Daily Mileage: 287.4 miles
Total Trip Miles: 1991.5 miles
Daily Time/Moving: 6h 42m /5h 42m
Speed Max/Moving Average: 112 MPH (darn Louisianna - I mean GPS)/ 53.2 MPH

kamikazekyle screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 11:47 AM
Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Ouch on the camera! Someone will enjoy that bad boy for sure. What's your average mpg on the bike? Do you own a Camelbak? You will get dyhidrated for sure with all the gear plus scorching heat.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Ouch on the camera! Someone will enjoy that bad boy for sure. What's your average mpg on the bike? Do you own a Camelbak? You will get dyhidrated for sure with all the gear plus scorching heat.

Later
John
Up until Texas my average MPG was in the low 40's with this oil change. Prior, when I was using Motul V300, I'd get ~44MPG with 93 octane. A little less with 87 or 89 (odd, but that's how it worked out). With the Maxima Extra4 I have this change, I lost 1-3 MPG.

Texas, well, eats gas. Probably because of 75 MPH speed limits and headwinds. I'm averaging 39 MPG no matter what octane I run: I lost about 2-3 MPG.

I run a 1.5L Camelbak, which is nice, small, and doesn't get in the way. I have a larger one that can actually store stuff, but it can bang against whatever I have on the passenger seat. I try to remember to drink from it periodically, but often forget. If I'm enjoying the ride, I'll forget or skip lots of things.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whereupon I Define Canyon Carving
September 15, 2013 - Day 7

Texas continues to surprise me. Everything I've heard from people that had been through Texas or seen on popular media -- with the exception of my girlfriend who lived there -- has been that it resembled a giant wasteland with endless straight roads. The rider on a supersport veering into my lane as I raced out of a sweeper helped to prove otherwise.

The rider dodged out to attempt a double yellow pass entering the turn which I was leaving. Noticing his error, he jerked the motorcycle back into his group, wobbling and struggling to not lose control from the abrupt maneuver. I passed by the group as he stabilized, thankfully preventing a potential pile up of riders. I shook my head and went back to the awesome road.

Splurging for the Best Western last night was a good choice. Not only did I have a comfy bed, nice AC, and shaded parking for the motorcycle, but their "contential" breakfast was damn near of a full on sit-down resturant quality. Tasty orange juice, properly sized muffins, fresh name-branded cereals, eggs, bacon, and even honest-to-goodness breafast burritos. I could have spent $5-$10 alone for that at a resturant, and here it was included in the meal. Yum.

Outside the day was still cool, though I could feel the first tingles of heat coming on. I also solved several little quirks I've been having on the Ninja for some time, which were exasperated by the different oil. The idle speed on the Ninja had creeped to just below 1,000 RPM, but the bike still idled fine. On a suspicion, I upped the idle speed to 1100 RPMs and the bike has suddenly transformed when stopped. Prior the engine would take a bit to turn over when hot, showing symptoms of vaporlock. Now it kicks over instantly on the first revolution. Secondly, to be expected, the higher idle speed means the engine doesn't lug without throttle when slothing around below 5 MPH and feathering the clutch.

All in all, a great start to a beautiful day.

I did, however, have a series of bug bites on my right leg underneath the boot line I noticed the day before. Too big and welty to be mosquitos, my best guess was a spider. My last camp site had many insects, and I neglected to check my boots before donning them. Oh well, I'll either loose my leg or develop super powers.

I read in the AMA Road Guide to America (or was that Greatest Motorcycle Rides in America?) about a loop in Texas invovling 1431. It was a nifty squiggly line on the map, and according to the atlas there was a sizeable dam just a bit past. Setting my route in the GPS, I wandered off, mostly on straight line roads.

As I neared 1431, the terrain suddenly turned into Western California, or at least what I envisioned Western California to be. Mountains, low growth trees, shrubbery, and sandy colored rocks.

And a road that lept up and down, planting me into long, elegant sweepers that would let any vehicle flex its throttle to the limit. Most curvy roads I ride are technical and twisty; better suited for a smaller displacement motorcycle or supermoto. I still prefer those, yet didn't let that hamper my enjoyment of the massive sweepers and high speed corners. Traffic was light as I landed on the road towards the afternoon, and thus far it's been the only place outside of a large city where I've seen sportbikes in Texas.

If there was a road for superbikes, this was it.

One rider -- whom I shall name Idiot -- attempted a pass on a double yellow while entering a turn. Now, if you want to attempt a double yellow pass, go right ahead. Just do it logically and NOT when you're getting ready to go into a limited line of sight turn where another rider -- like myself -- happens to be exiting. He yanked the bike back and saved it, and all I could do was shake my head and give him a "WTF" look behind my face shield.

Alas, no photos. I didn't have my GoPro anymore, and as my point-n-shoot was chaffing my neck it was tucked away in my tank bag. Damnit.

Speaking of dams, I finally made it to Buchanan Dam. A mix of brick and Gothic architecture spanned across the body of water in the distance, and I instantly wanted a closer look. Too bad the dam doesn't seem to allow any damn tourists. Vehicle after vehicle came in, looped around a tiny parking lot with no view whatsoever of the dam, and left.

I did, however, get a picture of a bridge. Whee.

I wanted to make it further southwest so I could see Big Bend and the Rio Grande, and Junction, TX looked like a good spot to stop for the day. I booked a motel for $30 as I couldn't find any prices or info for the nearby state park on camp sites, set the GPS, and hauled ass.

It wasn't a bad ride, just hot and the land started to become more sparsely vegitated.

Things really started getting big and empty.

Even the towns were tiny and seeped "old".

Downtown London, TX:

Though some hills started popping up, hinting at the southern mountains.

I coasted into Junction on fumes (PROTIP: fill up when you see a gas station if you don't have at least another 100 miles of range), and payed 20 cents more a gallon on one side of the interstate than the other.

As for the motel, well, it's nothing to write home about. It looks like a converted 50's motel with a tiny room, but furnished with a small table, desk, and even a closet -- though only a shower and no bathtub. The pillows were stained and I didn't dare check the bed, and my shower towel smelled funny. Enh. It was cheap and I had an nice, icy sleep inside my sleeping bag. It also had WiFi as I needed to find a tire.

While lubing the chain I spotted a rough spot on the tire. Lo and behold, that section of center tire was cupping and was shredding it's last bit of rubber before exposing cords. Other spots on the same wear line had around 2mm left before the wear indicators, and as I hadn't done any burn outs or really locked the rear tire, I have no idea why that one spot on the tire would wear faster than the rest.

In any case, after researching I had to give in and decided to backtrack to San Antonio the next day. There I had a good chance at finding a tire in stock and get it put on by a dealer who worked on Japanese sport bikes (the Ninja's chain adjuster is a little weird). Because today is Sunday, it would mean at least one and a half days "behind" still in Texas. Luckily I found a Ramada Inn for $42 a day -- scattered thunderstorms were called for day and night through Wednesday, so I didn't want to camp with a rain fly in 90+ heat.

To add some more fun, my Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki leftovers spilled out of the bag and all over my drybag containing food. I had everything wrapped up in ziploc bags, at least, so it was simply a matter of pulling stuff out and washing it. Annoying.

Daily Stat Whore Stuff
Daily Mileage: 404.7 miles
Total Trip Miles: 2396.2 miles
Daily Time/Moving: 7h 36m /6h 36m
Speed Max/Moving Average: 112 MPH (taps GPS...it works, I swear)/ 61.2 MPH

kamikazekyle screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 12:29 PM
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

September 12 Update

September 12th Quickie post has been updated to a full entry.

Click here to view the updated September 12th post along with TONS more photos.

September 13th Quickie post has been updated to a full entry.

Click here to view the updated September 13th post with lots of pics.

I'm working on the others and will post when they're updated. I've got all the photos uploaded and done, so it's just a matter of writing them up.

kamikazekyle screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 04:58 PM
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
DMCaton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
In for the rest of the trip! If you (for whatever reason) end up passing through St. Louis on your way back you've got a place to stay for the night here.
DMCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #25
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCaton View Post
In for the rest of the trip! If you (for whatever reason) end up passing through St. Louis on your way back you've got a place to stay for the night here.

Come Thursday I'm going to start making my way back home, though probably not by the fastest route. I doubt I'll be passing through your neck of the woods, though. I appreciate the offer and might have to stop by on one of my next trips. The way this trip has panned out has given me some good insight in how to plan future trips, which I intend to do once or twice every year.

At the moment, while I kill time waiting for dealers to open and source a new tire, I'm thinking that I'll meander up through Arkansas, through the edge of Tennessee (and get my Natchez Trace stamp I missed the first go round), and once in Kentucky head East through southern Virginia towards home. That'll let me check off a few states I've never been to, and grab some twisties in the Blue Ridge Mountains before life returns to the flatlands, farms, and swamps of Hampton Roads.

I'm only averaging about 400 miles per 8 hours of moving time with, oh, 10% Interstate riding or so. And without twisties to get my bum off the seat or something like an airhawk, I dunno how many more miles I could manage before my ass begins to enter the first stages of necrosis. So about 5 days, plus/minus, for me to get home.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Managed to source a new sport touring tire for an okay-ish price. I settled on a Pilot Road 3, and the tire + mount and balance ran me $250. I'm not a huge fan of Pilot Road 3's as when I ran a set on my Multistrada I could always feel the transition between compounds and they didn't feel super confident, though part of that was a lack of proper suspension tuning on the Multi. And other Ninja 1000 riders have reported odd feedback from front Pilot Road 3's; I'm still running an Angel ST on the front so I'm not too concerned. But they're undoubtedly long lasting. I enjoyed the Angel ST rear and it did give me about 7,000 miles, but the OEM Bridgestone sport tires netted me 4,000 and still had life left when I replaced. I think after the Pilot dies off I'll try the Angel GT.

Glad I prebooked the hotel for two nights. Even though I was in at 9:45 am, tires were first come first served and I didn't get out until 12:30. At least the Alamo Cycle Plex had a nice waiting area.

Later on -- if the weather holds -- I'm going to head out for a quick scrub in ride and dinner, and to also re-calibrate my speedometer. I use a SpeedoDRD to correct the speedo and was running a 190/55 tire. The new one is 190/50, which again I'm not a fan of as I like the extra agility of a 55% profile, so it throws off my speedo again.

In the meantime, I'm working on getting up the next day's ride report. Stay tuned, er, refreshed.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

September 14th updated to a full entry.

Click here to view the updated post. No new photos because I lost the GoPro that day, but I fleshed out the text a lot.

September 15th post updated and is now a proper full report entry. Lots of added photos.

Click here to view the updated post.

kamikazekyle screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 12:31 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

September 16, 2013

If Life Gives You Slick Centers, Then Use the Sides
September 16, 2013 - Day 8

Screw the belts showing in my tire. They're only in the center section, so that only applies if I'm going in a straight line. Naturally, this means I won't go in a straight line.

I pull out the atlas and look around the dot called Junction. There's some spaghetti splattered on the map heading generally towards San Antonio. I take the beast, slide out of the parking lot, and aim for the corner.

A $30 motel in the middle of nowhere is about what you think it is. I didn't get any bed bugs, but those bug bites from earlier were still itchy.

They reddened a bit after I was up and about, engorged with blood. Yummy. The Ninja was still sitting outside, thankfully. I'd hate to try to find a ride.

I loaded up, skipped the free breakfast, dropped the key in the repurposed mailbox, and buggered out. I had time to kill before checking in, and didn't want to just ride the interstate in to San Antonio. Besides, if I have belts showing on the center of my tire, I better minimize the use of it. Hello, Mr. Curvy road.

There was a little bit of not-so-curvy stuff on the way out, and there were constant remineders of just how empty the regions you were entering, as if the lack of any phone signal for hours wasn't clue enough.

Frankly, I don't think they can read.

After a while, the curves started to appear with a gradual rise in altitude. Throughout the day the quantity of curves was directly proportional to the altitude, and my enjoyment level.

Eventually I began to crest into the montains proper. Texans, in their usual way of doing things, didn't let something as silly as a mountain stand in their way. They carved right on through from top to bottom. Screw tunnels.

Traffic was almost non existant, curves were endless, scenery was stunning, and generally the ride several magnitudes of awesome, even if my rear tire liked to slide a bit when the exposed metal belting kissed the chipseal road surface.

The curves eventually smoothed out as I went from small town to small town and neared San Antonio.

Mountains still called in the distance.

I finally met up with the Interstate for the final run into the city. Along the way I ran into my first real rain of the trip as I passed through a variety of localized storm cells. One second I could be in a light mist, then a short jaunt of sun, and next a "I can't see my hand in front of my face" downpour. Those moments were a bit hairy with a failing rear tire. It would go squiggly under braking, slip free when leaving a stop, and generally be a nusance. Nevertheless, I lumped into the hotel, hung my stuff up to dry, and hunkered down to catch up on the ride report.

All in all, not a terribly long day and done totally on the fly, but very fun. Your usual day of just riding the twisties, enjoying the bends as they come with little other care than the next turn or how much fuel you have left.

Daily Stat Whore Stuff
Daily Mileage: 225.3 miles
Total Trip Miles: 2621.5 miles
Daily Time/Moving: 4h 58m /4h 1m
Speed Max/Moving Average: 86.2 MPH / 56.0 MPH
Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Tires; It's Like Christmas!
September 17, 2013 - Day 9

It was starting to get late in the afternoon and the stoplight slog out of San Antonio exercised my clutch hand. But like rats escaping from a sinking ship, the slower ones soon fell behind while I dashed ahead to the hills.

I killed some time after breakfast until the motorcycle dealerships started to open. I crossed my mental fingers and hoped that I would be able to find a sport touring tire; I really didn't want to get a sport tire and have it dead by the time I got home. My first call was to the Alamo Cycleplex, and success! They didn't have my preferred 190/55, only a 190/50, and only a Pilot Road 3. So while not ideal, it was within my okay range and they just so happened to have an install special going on for $30, and the tire was only about $20 more than I could get it online with coupons. I still had to fork over $250 in the end with taxes, disposal fees, and shop consumables fees tossed in, but enh.

Lots of weights to balance the tire, which surprised me. That's the most I've ever seen.

I'm glad I booked the hotel for two days, though. I was in around 9:45 in the morning, and didn't get out until nearly 12:30 in the afternoon. Not a huge deal, and they did have a pretty plush waiting area with leather couches and a big screen TV. I even got to see Zero motorcycles in person -- I want one.

A quick hop back to the hotel for lunch and ride report work, and then out the door at three for a quick scrub in ride and hopefully dinner. It was a pain trudging through afternoon traffic to get out of town, but at least I got a decent bead on the new speedometer error and mostly corrected it with the SpeedoDRD. A little more fine tuning should dial it in so I have an accurate speedometer.

Once out of town, the traffic disappeared and the dark clouds gave way to blue skies and fluffy cotton. It was time to bang the corners. I dug out my old GoPro HD and propped it on a RAM mount for some pictures. They pretty much speak for themselves.

I still like the Angel ST's better. The Pilot Road 3 is a harder tire -- especially on the center compound -- and was a little more squirrely on the chipseal than the Angel ST's. Though to be honest, my last Road 3 took some time to really bed in. On good asphalt, it seemed to plant well enough. On the Ninja I couldn't detect the transition from one compound to the other, and their hardiness will come in handy on the way home.

On the way back to the hotel, I splashed through a five second downpour and quickly dodged to an exit to don rain gear. I just so happened to pull into a Red Lobster parking lot at five in the afternoon but before the dinner rush hit. I was hungry, I hadn't eaten at a Red Lobster in years, and it was raining. Hey, multiple problems solved!

I gorged myself on overpriced seafood, still hit some rain on the way back to the hotel as I got lost, and then polished off the last of my chain lube to make room for the new can. Not much else to say on the day as it was largely a "work" day, catching up on bike maintenance and ride reports.

Tomorrow I start heading for home. By which way, I have no idea, but I'm going to try to see a thing or two rather than just slab it all the way.

I wish I found an Airhawk or some other seat pad, though. My poor bum is gonna hate me by the end of this week.

Daily Stat Whore Stuff
Daily Mileage: 148.2 miles
Total Trip Miles: 2769.7 miles
Daily Time/Moving: 2h 44m /2h 27m
Speed Max/Moving Average: 89.8 MPH / 60.5 MPH
Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
DMCaton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Looks like you're having a good time down there! It's giving me the itch to get out on another long trip...

I just put a set of Pilot Road 3's on my SV1000S and have no complaints whatsoever about them, but we'll see how their tread life is. I got almost 12k out of the set of Road 2's I had on before, and that's not including however many miles the previous owner had put on them already. I also noticed they had to use a bunch of weights to balance both the front and rear Road 3's so maybe something is a little off with the factory mold or something?
DMCaton is offline   Reply With Quote