User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #2131
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 136
Thumb Fantastic ride

Every time I see a video of the vitim Bridge is like I see this pass for the first time never get old, that was great Noah and I believe you are the 2 fastest in crossing that Bridge, you look really fast and confidence over there, well maybe is because you are riding a KTM like the others sprinters
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #2132
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 136
Talking FIA World Touring Car Championship 22 September

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Unfortunately no WRC rally Japan since 2010. It would be around this time in September also

The 2013 World Touring Car Championship is this weekend in Japan suzuka Circuit 22 September
You can take a look at this race a very nice and close to real street cars Link http://www.fiawtcc.com/
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #2133
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
These dilapidated bridges always make me think someones going to get a huge flat and go off the side. I know you walk the bridge to check for rotten boards but have you found anything sharp lying around or splintered wood?
It's funny because those bridges make me think "those look so damn rad (but scary), why can't there be more places in the world like this? Just crossing a bridge is exciting!"

Then I realize that wouldn't make any sense.

Hunter-Douglas screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 11:11 PM
Hunter-Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #2134
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
It's funny because those bridges make me think "those look so damn rad (but scary), why can't there be more places in the world like this? Just crossing a bridge is exciting!"

Tacoma Bridge
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #2135
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
great stuff

I finally get a chance to catch up on the trip and I Am already 15 pages back... this muddy be good.
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #2136
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
These dilapidated bridges always make me think someones going to get a huge flat and go off the side. I know you walk the bridge to check for rotten boards but have you found anything sharp lying around or splintered wood?
We didn't have any flats from punctures. There are some nails but we never had any problems. If the wood is splintered, it is usually soft so it doesn't pose a threat to the tires.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #2137
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
Every time I see a video of the vitim Bridge is like I see this pass for the first time never get old, that was great Noah and I believe you are the 2 fastest in crossing that Bridge, you look really fast and confidence over there, well maybe is because you are riding a KTM like the others sprinters
There is no way. So many people are faster. I'll beat my chest and say "its not a race". But in reality, I was just stoked to make it across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
The 2013 World Touring Car Championship is this weekend in Japan suzuka Circuit 22 September
You can take a look at this race a very nice and close to real street cars Link http://www.fiawtcc.com/
That is to far south for me right now. But.. in October the MotoGP is in japan and I might have to see what that business is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post

Yeah. Nice bridges are good. We like guard rails.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #2138
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Dude that bridge crossing video had me a little dizzy looking over the edge. Glad everyone made it through ok.
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #2139
Chet Punisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Just caught up. Stay safe in Japan. Hope the typhoon doesn't bother you too much. Great ride so far. Thanks!
Chet Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #2140
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,403
HUSQVARNA 610 te

Really enjoying the RR. Especially the videos and the pics. It seems like eons since you were riding up the pacific coast in the rain. The ktm has been doing extremely well for you other than a few rectifier and cam problems.

Was wondering what you think about the Husky 610 te and if you have seen any on your travels? Almost same spec wise as the KTM but honestly probably less dealer support world wide. Stay safe and keep riding. Epsom salt soaks of the big toe?
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2141
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Punisher View Post
Just caught up. Stay safe in Japan. Hope the typhoon doesn't bother you too much. Great ride so far. Thanks!
Typhoon is great timing. Its given me an excuse to stay inside, foot up, watch movies and relax will I get rid of gout. It sunny today but I think I will rest 1 more day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Really enjoying the RR. Especially the videos and the pics. It seems like eons since you were riding up the pacific coast in the rain. The ktm has been doing extremely well for you other than a few rectifier and cam problems.

Was wondering what you think about the Husky 610 te and if you have seen any on your travels? Almost same spec wise as the KTM but honestly probably less dealer support world wide. Stay safe and keep riding. Epsom salt soaks of the big toe?
I don't have much knowledge about the 610 te. But it seem like it would be a good bike. There really are only a couple bikes on par with the 690 when you are looking at a light, powerful thumper.

1. BMW X challenge. Good bike to start with.. but suspension needs full replacement and has aluminum rear subframe.
2. Husa 570. Great light bike. I would love longer oil change interval. I will have one in my stable sometime for shorter trips.
3. Husky 610. Great bike from what I hear. Suspension might be the let down.
4. KTM 640 ADV. I had one. I loved it. Vibration is a problem on road. Offroad it is a very capable bike. It always felt front heavy compared to the 690 though.
5. The DR 650 or DRZ400 are just about the only Jap bikes I would consider. The 650 is only something like 10 pounds heavier than the 400. Both are down on power when compared to the Euro bikes. It seems all the enduro jap bikes get small oil change interval and suspension that is subpar. It seems the development money goes into Motocross or street bikes. You will never get a KLR to keep up with any of the bikes I listed above. Even the honda xr650r.. by the time you add a stronger stator, DC wiring, extra oil capacity, better suspension, bigger tank, etc, etc, you are effectively building what KTM did from the factory.
6. And last and least (meaning smallest). I would go with the WR250X or WR250R. Small light weight bike. I would probably choose this over a DR or DRZ. If Yamaha would make a WR450x with the same oil change interval as the 250, it would be a great bike to start with.

I have said it before and i'll say it again. There really is no 450 class bike you can travel on. There is some hope though. The CCM 450 adv bike looks promising. I'm not sure how much I like the engine choice but again.. what choices do they have? Now if they put a KTM 390 duke motor in it... that would be great. I would buy 1. Hopefully the rumors are true and KTM will be making an enduro with the 390 duke motor. I won't hold my breath that they will make an adventure. They cant seem to wrap their head around a 690 ADV even though the 690 is the model that replaced the 640. The only question that still remains. Will a KTM built in India hold up to the beating I have given my 690? I might have to contact KTM about being a test pilot for them
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2142
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,403
Thanks

Test Rider, yup, I would say you have nothing left to prove..

Typhoons are cool...as long as no one gets hurt.

Colorado is having a semi typhoon right now
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #2143
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,197
But if you rode for KTM, you might cease to be ronin.

Personally, I'd risk it.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #2144
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
I have said it before and i'll say it again. There really is no 450 class bike you can travel on.
Um...

Care to chime in here Mr. Colebatch…?? I'm not about to start a pissing duel, but, I think you are both right. The best bike is the one you are riding RTW now.

BTW, looking forward to the CCM

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #2145
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Will a KTM built in India hold up to the beating I have given my 690? I might have to contact KTM about being a test pilot for them
Bajaj built bikes are all over india riding up into the Himalayas and all sorts of places so, I think a 390 adv would do very well. Take a look around here: http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/, there's some lovely rides.

Theres one way to look at it - if a Royal Enfield can do it then anything can.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote