User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
panhead_pete OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,021
3 days on the new to me Tiger.

Just had a lovely 3 days riding around the south east of Qld and Northern NSW on the new Tiger. Great bike for that style of riding and had a ball.

Day One
Well it was an early start at 520am to make it to Beenleigh for the 7am kick off for an ADVrider ride with several of the crew. Was a fun ride.

I wont bore you with the details but can share the vid that Strummer put together which is awesome.

I was with the guys through to Killarney and had a great time, thanks so much everyone. As the rest of the guys headed towards home after lunch I headed south with no real plan. Some really nice countryside went by.

By 1pm I had found my way to Urbanville and it was time for a beer, especially when the pub looks like this.

After a beer and a chat with Darryl the Publican I made a plan to drop my bag and he very kindly layed out a nice loop for an afternoon ride. There was a huge variety of terrain and a great dirt road weaving through hills and across numerous rivers and creeks.

At about 330pm in the afternoon, any afternoon, there are only so many pubs that any of my bikes will ride past, and that number is 0. Stopped for a beer here and met some odd locals – all good though.

Got back to the Pub about beer o’clock and settled in meeting a few locals and others staying at the pub whilst working in the area. Scored as there was a 4 course Mexican dinner for $25 and also got invited back for a trail ride on the weekend. Stoked!

Well woke with a country pub hang over after a few Turkeys fairly late with Darryl. The damn cockatoos were a very early alarm. So being up I went for walk around Urbanville prior to breakfast. It’s a lovely place and I had to look twice as a dog looked like a pig which was actually a pig out for a morning walk.

After a breakfast the only plan I had was to be in Ballina that night to catch up with a lovely mate and her son who I haven’t seen in ages. Riding was nice and I cruised through a couple small towns including Grevillia where it looked like a shop or pub had burnt to the ground not so long ago.

Stopped in to Kyogle to fuel up the bike and myself before heading towards Nimbin.

I HATE Nimbin. Im the last person to judge anyone for doing what they want but seeing drug deals so openly happen and all the scummy smack heads in the street is a clear demonstration that once was an ideological shift from the mainstream has failed measurably. I was there 5 mins to get a map and couldn’t leave quick enough. Just outside of there was a lovely view on my way to Nightcap National Park and Minyon falls, the road into which was dirt and LOTS of fun.

After an awesome lunch with a very close friend in Lismore I headed down to Ballina. Stopped by the river then out at the point on the way to my mate’s place where it was dinner and vodka time. One of the key reasons I bought an ADV bike was to go visit mates and to take interesting ways of getting there, the Tiger is ticking all those boxes.

Well after a great night and breakfast in Ballina I headed north. Pulled up at Lennox and it was pumping. Spewing I didn’t have a surfboard with me.

Heading further north I stopped in at Bryron Bay and went up to the lighthouse which is Australia’s most easterly point (for the non-Aus readers). It was a glorious morning and a lovely place.

After Byron a short detour into Murwillumbah for a coffee with an old uni mate who races old Ducatis and is a great guy. After that it was all just Pacific Highway/Gateway/Bruce Highway home.

Loving the Tiger. It still needs a few farkles and a couple more serious mods but its quite capable and as I get used to it the better it will be Im sure.

Thanks for taking the time to go through such a LONG post.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 272
"there are only so many pubs that any of my bikes will ride past, and that number is 0"

Alcoholic motorbikes.....think I need me one of them :)

Thx for posting,
Cheers.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Wow...what a ride. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome~~~~

I think I'm gonna have take a closer look at those bikes as they're pretty cool. Some really nice photos to so thanks for that.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
The Best Bike !!

Thanks for sharing. You chose the right bike so enjoy it and MANY more miles !!
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
wimj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
A report that reinforced my desire to 'do ' Australia one time. Thanks for taking the time to write it!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
panhead_pete OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,021
Thanks for the kind words :)
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,835
good stuff!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
TonyRDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Great report, amazing video edit. Well done guys.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Great report.

I also felt the same way about Nimbin. I hated the place and couldnt get away from there soon enough. Scummy, junkie fleabags. Not for me.
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Haggs
Tigre Verde

Oddometer: 122
Thumb

Top report there Pete, and in my backyard too. Might go for a ride me thinks!

Ps +1 on Nimbin
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonasty View Post
Great report.

I also felt the same way about Nimbin. I hated the place and couldnt get away from there soon enough. Scummy, junkie fleabags. Not for me.
Lived in Byron a couple of life times ago, mates who visited always wanted to go to Nimbin, FFS.
Great ride out there, you don't even get the helmet off before the junkies are trying to sell you whatever they can .

Top report, noice video by Strummer.
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
Beachfinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
looks like awesome ride, thanks for sharing
Beachfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #14
gmanski
=)

Oddometer: 113
Awesome
Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
RatPatrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
For most of us over here on this side of the pond we realize we'll never get to see your country in person. Thanks to you and your mates we have seen some beautiful places and one "amazing" video. Very well done guys!. Again thank you for sharing this with us.
RatPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote