User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 492
Trouble in Bosnia i Hercegovina (Fixed)

The bad news is my F800GS won't shift well right now... the good news is the people where I am stranded are beyond amazing despite any language or cultural barriers. It's ok to shift up to 2nd, but it's hard to shift up to 3rd or higher. The bike is still under warranty but the closest BMW Motorrad is in Belgrade, Serbia. I met some bikers here in Foča as soon as I arrived and hung out for the weekend. I found this thread which seems to be the same issue. Now that it's Monday, we talked to the dealer/mechanics in Belgrade and they say it would need a new transmission which could take weeks to fix. My options now are to limp back to Germany, go and hang out in Belgrade, or to continue south at a slower pace... Any other ideas would be appreciated
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Foča

Some pictures from Saturday before the shifting got too sticky

Skakavac Waterfall in the Perućica primeval forest

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 08:19 AM
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Ask here:
Tomić & Co. Zagreb
01/6301-999 ili 091/1630-185

Tomić & Co. Split
021/544-729

It might be faster (EU and so... )
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
Tomić & Co. Split
021/544-729

It might be faster (EU and so... )
Thanks I hadn't considered Split and it's a bit closer than Belgrade... This morning I couldn't decide to go north, south, east or west.. so I hung out in the coffee shops, saw some more local sights and washed the bike..

I might flip a coin between Split and Belgrade
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Tjentište

Camping in Tjentište for 5 BAM with the sound of the river

Memorial in Tjentište

A hotel room in Foča is 40 BAM or a cabin on the river is 20 BAM

Никола's Honda Dominator

Some minister's helo on the football field

Remnants of war

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 11:22 AM
Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Hey Squawk

Sucks about what sounds to be a serious transmission issue. Looks like you found a decent place hangout though. Pictures look fantastic. Keep us posted on what comes of the BMW ispection of the issue with the bike.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Ustikolina

We decided to take the clutch cover off and have a look ourselves... Sure enough the fork attached to the shaft of the gear selector is deformed... It's very easy to bend. We tried to straighten it a bit with a hammer but it didn't work any better. I'm trying to explain to him in charades how it should look symmetrical but this is hard to fix with his tools. After trying all morning it's now shifting worse and my hopes are getting down. We end up going to his friend's garage to torch it while really hammering it back towards symmetrical. Astonishingly, once back together it shifts just as good as new... He wouldn't take any money but I left him €50 because it was the biggest bill I had. I'm going for a longer test ride this afternoon and then tonight we'll all have a few beer.

He says he also had a GS with 120k kms

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 08:20 AM
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
First of all, I'm very sorry about the transmission issue on your bike.
The pictures are incredible and this area of our world is really beautiful. I appreciating you including a picture of the memorial from the battle as I looked it up on the Internet to teach myself something today. Thank you

I hope that The fix you found for your bike Is a permanent one and that you will post another ride report when you can.
Thank you very much for sharing this with us and for teaching me something today as well. I really appreciate it
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
I hope that repair holds at least until you can get to a dealer. Seems that the fork could not bend so easily since it took a torch and much hammering to get it back into shape. Wonder why it bent in the first place. Was the bike dropped or the gear lever jammed at all just before the shifting went bad? Just thinking that it must have taken a lot of force applied to the fork with no response available from the part that fork connects to, to bend it. Hints at a hangup deeper in the transmission?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
krucymucy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Great news! Now you can go and enjoy your ride ...
krucymucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
zkuzman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
The bad news is my F800GS won't shift well right now... the good news is the people where I am stranded are beyond amazing despite any language or cultural barriers. It's ok to shift up to 2nd, but it's hard to shift up to 3rd or higher. The bike is still under warranty but the closest BMW Motorrad is in Belgrade, Serbia. I met some bikers here in Foča as soon as I arrived and hung out for the weekend. I found this thread which seems to be the same issue. Now that it's Monday, we talked to the dealer/mechanics in Belgrade and they say it would need a new transmission which could take weeks to fix. My options now are to limp back to Germany, go and hang out in Belgrade, or to continue south at a slower pace... Any other ideas would be appreciated
Mostar has a BMW service.
zkuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Seems that the fork could not bend so easily since it took a torch and much hammering to get it back into shape. Wonder why it bent in the first place. Was the bike dropped or the gear lever jammed at all just before the shifting went bad?
I fell in 2nd gear on a soft uneven trail. I left that detail out in case it would be fixed by warranty, but whatever. Without the panniers, the uneven ground knocked the shifter upwards. When the shifting got sticky, the ex armoured driver in the photo mentioned he knew an F650GS that bent this internal fork that way. When I googled I immediately found a thread here with the exact same problem. The night after calling several BMW dealers and after a few beer at the bar, we thought to YouTube "F800GS DIY" or something and it looked easy enough. We didn't all speak English, but we understood each other fine.

This is where I fell. It's always good to have a mechanic/trooper riding with you, who I must say rides his KLR to the max as well!

That fork behind the clutch should be pointed towards the middle of the clutch and the spring should be symmetrical as well

I will replace it and the gasket as soon as possible. I'm glad it was just this fork that bent instead of something deeper inside.... but I wonder why they put splines on the shaft instead of just letting the gear peddle rotate under force? The KLRs I was riding with all had pivoting gear selector ends.. but I'm not convinced that would have prevented a direct hit under the peddle itself. I think without the splines it would have just rotated on the shaft instead?

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 08:22 AM
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
I appreciating you including a picture of the memorial from the battle as I looked it up on the Internet to teach myself something today. Thank you
I've seen a lot of monuments being in the military myself, but this one is truly unique (it's not even symmetrical after looking at it long enough) and the location just makes it surreal. I went there only to see and photograph that monument, but I stayed because of the people I met.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkuzman View Post
Mostar has a BMW service.
Thanks for signing up to post that! I didn't know about it and Mostar was already on my short list of places to see too. I'll post more pictures of your beautiful country later.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
We decided to take the clutch cover off and have a look ourselves... Sure enough the fork attached to the shaft of the gear selector is deformed... It's very easy to bend. We tried to straighten it a bit with a hammer but it didn't work any better. I'm trying to explain to him in charades how it should look symmetrical but this is hard to fix with his tools. After trying all morning it's now shifting worse and my hopes are getting down. We end up going to his friend's garage to torch it while really hammering it back towards symmetrical. Astonishingly, once back together it shifts just as good as new... He wouldn't take any money but I left him €50. I'm going for a longer test ride this afternoon and then tonight we'll all have a few beer.

He says he also had a GS with 120k kms
^^^nice ZX parked there
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote