Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #511
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
the TAT goes thru Eagle Canyon. On Sam's maps its highlighted 'if on a big bike, take the bypass, there are big rocks, sand, and a nasty uphill climb' Well, if he didnt warn me about cinnamon pass, but he warned about this, and I was alone, & it was raining, I figured I'd better not try it. Had I had someone else along, I woulda given it a try, but looking down at the canyon from the bridge, I made the right choice. The trail was washed out, no tracks, just sand & big rocks everywhere.

I made it to Salina & got a room, took me all night to get everything dry, but the next morning at least I was starting out in dry gear.
Oh yeah you made the right choice.. trust me on that!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #512
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,638
I just killed another zumo mount (one of the power pins fell out)

This is the 2nd I have broken. The 1st I broke in TENN, and a guy loaned me one. Now I broke his.

So really I need 2 of them, one for me, & one for him.

I sort of got one of them working a little, but it wont last long.

if anyone has one (or 2 ) for sale, please PM me

I also put an ad in the FM

Thanks, Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #513
singletrackjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
moab

Man Doug it's so danged pretty out around moab I just want to fall in my monitor and fly around a bit -- then remember I couldn't fit through it nor can I fly [bummer] - got so many pics saved I filled my screen on my desktop - had to start another folder just to clean it up ---
Really got to thank you again for taking us with - this thing called the computer has become a tool that takes us to unimaginable places -- places that we would never get to see in 2 lifetimes because of those like you -- enjoyable for this old man! be safe on your journey!!!
singletrackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #514
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Nice Shots !

Man Doug, you really got some good photos on that last load. One thing about storm clouds, they really make a good back drop.
Diggin' your report Doug.
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #515
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

fixing a rear flat on a dirt trail in the dark, 1 mile from a campground. and the airpump wont seat the bead, had to put a tube in.

the fun never ends!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #516
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Seating a Bead

Had the problem my self, but at home, not on the trail. I used a tie down strap and wrapped it around the outside and sinched it down. I might have done one of those turnitkit twists with a tool or pipe. Pain in the b-hind. Locals in mex use gas and a match. Woump! Not recommended for a long hairs.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #517
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,651
Good times indeed...

Well since you missed Wet Fest, maybe you can make it to this gathering... It is in a very beautiful part of the planet...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902139

I hope you can make it but if not I'll be following along anyway.

You have a place to stay here near Portland Oregon and we can feed you some BBQ again
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #518
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackjack View Post
Man Doug it's so danged pretty out around moab I just want to fall in my monitor and fly around a bit -- then remember I couldn't fit through it nor can I fly [bummer] - got so many pics saved I filled my screen on my desktop - had to start another folder just to clean it up ---
Really got to thank you again for taking us with - this thing called the computer has become a tool that takes us to unimaginable places -- places that we would never get to see in 2 lifetimes because of those like you -- enjoyable for this old man! be safe on your journey!!!
+1 You said it perfectly dude. Thanks!

"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #519
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Tried that. Trickle pump didnt have enough volume.
3 Hours later, made it to paradise valley. Everything is closed. I didnt see the campground that was sposed to be at some hot springs. Theres an awning & picnic table outside the local bar.
dunno if they would care if i slept here......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
Had the problem my self, but at home, not on the trail. I used a tie down strap and wrapped it around the outside and sinched it down. I might have done one of those turnitkit twists with a tool or pipe. Pain in the b-hind. Locals in mex use gas and a match. Woump! Not recommended for a long hairs.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #520
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,219
Spotwalla shows you ~15mi West of Chimney Reservoir, on/near Shelton Lane and ~100mi to Denio Junction via NV290, US95, & NV140. But of course those are roads so you should be able to at least double that distance, based on your spots back to the South.

PM re Zumo mount coming shortly.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #521
Tx_Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
got the new rear tire on, honda shop in richfield utah swapped it for 15 bucks, and let me pull the wheel & change the oil there.

service guy said he hasnt seen it rain this much in the last 30 years!

he also said the trail over the mountain was damn near impassable, lots of flash floods & washouts, so I am taking some old 2 lane roads around it.

i hope things improve in nevada, I have really been looking forward to riding there.

oh, the bike has a chain. I dont trust belts. oddly enough, I STILL havent had to adjust the chain.

I have lubed it at least 4 or 5 times tho.

Paved roads were flooding as well. This was on Hwy 12 in UT heading from Arches to Bryce canyon. Guess my Ultra is a "Mud bagger" now.
Too bad we missed each other in Arches, would have been fun to meet and chat.

Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #522
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
well I guess I will quit bitching about the couple of inches of rain we got in South FLA yesterday that ruined my plans to ride out in the farmlands!!!! It might be dried out by the time you get back down here!! Poker Run to Key West this week looks like it might be a little wet!!!........but nothing like you are seeing!! Enjoying the pics and videos!! Stay safe and it seems you are making some good choices on the bypasses!!!

If you end up in Central Illinios on the way back let me know.....still have a bunch of friends and family up there that can help you out with a place to crash!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #523
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome to Oregon

Hey Doug, I might be jumping the gun with the title but I got faith in ya.

You are coming into hot springs country. Nice places out on the east side. Nice view on top of the Steeins Mountain. Not sure of the condition of the washboard road, but you plane out at about 60mph on a bike w/ 2 wheels. It wanted to rattle out my dash board in my pickup.
Nice cool conditions in the Willamette Valley, the end of the Oregon Trail, on the other side of the Cascade Mountain range, a little north of where you might be going.
Offer is still good on some beers in Corvallis
We got dam good beer here, good place to pub craw.....Beavers are back in town...eye candy...don't lose your dark sun glasses.
I would go trolling the bars with you but I have been told in order to do good at trolling, you need good bait. you will be better off with out me.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #524
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
Offer is still good on some beers in Corvallis
We got dam good beer here, good place to pub craw.....Beavers are back in town...eye candy...don't lose your dark sun glasses.
I would go trolling the bars with you but I have been told in order to do good at trolling, you need good bait. you will be better off with out me.
Ummm - unless I've missed a change somewhere or am remembering incorrectly, Doug doesn't drink. The rest I have no clue.
2004 ST1300 - sold
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #525
Magnum1b
Magnum1b, yes I had one

Oddometer: 746
Laugh Highway 12

Looks to be slicker than owl shit on a doorknob as they say down here. Ride safely.
Magnum1b is offline   Reply With Quote