Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #3271
tigrebleau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
I've had a Gold Wing on a single track with a river levee on the left and a fresh plowed field on the right when I came up to the _dead_end_ rail road embankment. Laid the bike on it's side, pivoted on the drivers right peg, picked it up and rode back. I hate u-turns but sometimes ya just gotta.

If ya can't pick up yur own bike ya need to get a lighter bike.
Coolest thing I saw at one of Jack Splash's PB300 events was a guy with an 1150 GS who laid it on the engine guard and spun it around, picked it up and took off in the reverse direction without getting completely off the bike.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #3272
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by eca View Post
Anyone use the Tubliss system? I've thought about it, all my previous bikes had tubeless tires and I'm not looking forward to a flat with tubes.

http://tubliss.com/
I had hopes to use the Tubliss system on my Terra.
Beyond the "off road only" limitations, the rim widths of the Terra are also quite a bit wider than what the Tubliss specs calls for.
In my opinion Tubliss is a no go.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #3273
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Tubliss will not work on the Terra rear, but will on the front. Might as well stay with heavy tubes front and rear unless you want to carry patching stuff for both systems. Easy to do. I have Tubliss on my TE630 and WR250R and love it. Many miles of both dirt and highway with no problems. So easy to fix a puncture too unless you get unlucky and find a really long nail or spike. I always carry spare tubes just in case something catastrophic happens. And, there can be manuf. failures too, which I have seen. Still, I rely on the Tubliss and have had great luck.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #3274
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I guess modern rim locks are not the match of the older stuff? The KTM SE rider is an expert rider with decades experience and an excellent tech.
I doubt the install was faulty ... but I'm no expert on this stuff. Here is a pic of his tube (sorry, buddies crap Phone camera!)

Maybe he tightened Rim lock down too tight? Hard to see but there were several little skake bite type cuts and the indents were
very deep. HD Metzeler real rubber tube or some such.
This picture looks identical to the tube on a friends DR400 which went flat when riding down the rock slide side of Ophir pass last week. Not the best place for sudden pressure loss. Same rim lock. We decided it was pinched during installation because not enough air was in the tube during installation.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #3275
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,378
2014 TR650s have hit a few dealers, including Eurosport in Asheville NC. For anyone lingering, now is the time to buy. You might not get another chance to buy this awesome model new. Although, you might find one used, but who the heck would sell such an awesome bike?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #3276
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,664
so.....didja catch the pictures and description of the sneak preview of the Safari tank, over on....that other site?

30 liter side pods (7.92 US gallons) with estimated range of 750km (465 miles)....which is figuring at 58mpg, working in conjunction with the stock tank.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #3277
erohver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
2014 TR650s have hit a few dealers, including Eurosport in Asheville NC. For anyone lingering, now is the time to buy. You might not get another chance to buy this awesome model new. Although, you might find one used, but who the heck would sell such an awesome bike?
Why wouldn't we get another chance?
2003 SV 650
erohver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #3278
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohver View Post
Why wouldn't we get another chance?
Because it is highly unlikely that KTM will continue production of a motorcycle with a BMW engine. The 2014's being sold now are just 2013's that were rejected at customs a few months ago. They were reissued at 2014's.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #3279
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,784
16,000 km

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #3280
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Getting the last of my prototype racks done:

All thats left is welding on the tie-down hoops on the outside of each rack, then paint.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #3281
spconley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
So who has the most miles on their Terra/Strada and what kind of problems have you had while putting the miles on? I don't have a BMW dealer nearby and am hesitant about the bike given the heating problems and stalling issues, have they all been sorted out on the 2014's? Also... Will BMW or KTM be servicing these down the road and who will supply parts, has there been any info on this?
spconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #3282
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by spconley View Post
So who has the most miles on their Terra/Strada and what kind of problems have you had while putting the miles on?
Came here to ask the very same question!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #3283
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
So who has the most miles on their Terra/Strada and what kind of problems have you had while putting the miles on? I don't have a BMW dealer nearby and am hesitant about the bike given the heating problems and stalling issues, have they all been sorted out on the 2014's? Also... Will BMW or KTM be servicing these down the road and who will supply parts, has there been any info on this?
There really aren't any heat problems, there is a cooling problem caused by air in the radiator. This should be solved at delivery, but often is not. It will take you 10 minutes to "burp" the system, and you'll never have problems again. I rushed it the first time, and the issue came back. I did it right the second time and haven't had any issues in the last 2000 miles of summer riding.

Stalling is a MOSS issue most of the time. A proper flash fixes it, or in the absence of a dealer, a simple mod like the Wuka. In fact, a guy over on Cafe Husky showed everyone how to build a wuka type device for about $10 in parts. I do not know of the 2014s are fixed from the factory. Also, the best tip I've learned is to just let the bike idle for about 2 minutes prior to riding. That alone eliminates most issues.

KTM will be warrantying these bikes...period. Where you get it serviced is up to you. Frankly, mine has only been back to the dealer once, and that is because I was picking up farkles. I have had 0 need for a dealer on my bike. Half of that is making sure they do it right BEFORE you take delivery. Eurosport Asheville is top notch, and they know these bikes well. It also helps that they are a BMW, KTM, Husky dealer.

Buy the bike, you won't regret it.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #3284
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitou View Post
Came here to ask the very same question!
Go to www.cafehusky.com, click on TR650. They have answers.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #3285
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Go to www.cafehusky.com, click on TR650. They have answers.
Thanks William!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote