Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > ADVrider annual rallies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #481
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Thanks everyone, I know me and my family really enjoyed putting on the event and you guys made it a success.

I will get the few pictures I have up in a few days.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #482
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
Just got home.

Many thanks to Ben and his family for a great time. I met a bunch of cool
people, went on a great ride(thanks, Mark), and got de-noobed by SgtMarty. All in all, a great adventure. I'll be back.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #483
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
I just got back from visiting Greorge in the hospital. He's doing well!! His spirits are good and he looks good. As indicted in my last post, they've moved him to a rehab unit. They're working him hard, 3 x's a day for about an hour each session. He's pleased with his progress, today was his first day using crutches. He's not sure, but it looks like he may be in the hospital until next Friday. He'll have a better idea next week.

He's certainly receptive to receiving calls. His room number is 3R17 at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction. His phone number for that room is: (970) 298-3717 should anyone like to give him a call.
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #484
Big bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
What a great weekend

Ben and his Family are awesome!
Our best to George with a speedy recovery to two foot pegs too.
Two-wheel time, family time, and new friend times galore.
I was de-noobed without drama, didn't drop big bike, even tho there was that one close call that nobody saw, whew.
We're looking forward to the next time. Thanks everyone

The new Dubinky britches are great too!
Big bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #485
motocopter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Looks like tons of good adventures and riding had by all. Is it possible to make any of these rides from the campground on a non-plated bike?

2012 Concours 14
2008 Z1000
1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #486
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,741
Zero. But look back in posts. Pablo83 described some of the great stuff being a short transfer to a trailhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocopter View Post
Looks like tons of good adventures and riding had by all. Is it possible to make any of
these rides from the campground on a non-plated bike?
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #487
UtahDog
n00b

Oddometer: 2
First Westfest, had a great time! Great to meet you all. If it works out I am going to try to make it again next year.
UtahDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #488
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
Just got back from paying a visit to George in the hospital. He's is doing well. They've had him moving around quite a bit, he's been up and down stairs and has gotten in and out of vehicles. So the rehab is helping him adjust to the daily tasks in life that are taken for granted.

He's going to be discharged tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Apparently Jerry (inmate handle "jnc") from Fruita is going to pick him up an take him to the airport.

Thanks to Jerry (jnc) and family for all the support you've provided George.

George has certainly appreciate everyones help and show of support/concern during this ordeal.
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #489
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
Day 3

I'm finally getting around to posting day 3. I went for a family ride in the fourmile area. Here's Elizabeth on her first water crossing.

Then we found a good rain-bar so Chase and I could have a big-air competition. My camera wasn't fast enough.

I told Elizabeth to be the judge for the competition, but she decided to take a nap instead.

On my Day 2 ride, the bolts on my chain guard almost backed all the way out, so I tightened them down, but on my Day 3 ride they wiggled all the way out, causing my bike to come to an abrupt stop during a sharp turn.

It took a while to get the chain unstuck, an luckily Tomas and Dylan happened upon us and had some tools to help out. I didn't have replacement bolts, so we just limped it back to the truck and called it a day.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #490
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,702
Be thankful that your engine case guard did it's job
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #491
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I just wanted to pass along a HUGE thanks to all the sponsors for Westfest this year All these companies are active on ADVrider, and many are small 1 man operations. If you need anything from maps, luggage, suspension, hard parts or gear please look into supporting these companies. For many what they donated was a big cut to their bottom line so lets help them out

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #492
spdrcr
scrambling

Oddometer: 10
Like everyone else, I had a great time at Westfest! I've just finally been able to get my pics off the phone and on the computer! My friend Dave and I got to Arrowhead about 2am Friday and crashed. By the time we got registered & settled it was time for some riding! So along with Joe & Frank, Dave on his R12GS and me on my supremely offroad capable Triumph Scrambler headed over to 4 mile and had a great time mostly on 376 & 311.

We had a great time, enjoyed some good riding and great scenery and got back to the campground in time to catch the shuttle to Deerhammer!

Saturday after breakfast at the pavilion, we joined in on the 5 Passes ride and enjoyed the whole ride thoroughly!

Cottonwood Pass

Just above Cumberland Pass

Old Monarch Pass

Saturday night back at the Campground was great with the BBQ, lots of free stuff, the band and plenty of beer by the campfire!

Sunday morning we headed into town for some breakfast at the Evergreen, then decided to check out the road up Mt Princeton. The bottom portion of the road was real nice, but then we ran into a couple headed down who told us it got worse up above, and they weren't lying! The last couple of miles got pretty tough on the big bikes.

The last bit was a little tough, but we felt good making it all the way and the views were fabulous!
spdrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #493
spdrcr
scrambling

Oddometer: 10
After we made our way back down Mt Princeton, we rode around the hot springs south of there for a bit, then got some lunch in BV and headed up to Leadville. After checking out Leadville, we rode out to Turquoise Lake and then up Hagerman Pass.

Checked out an abandoned mine on the way back down.

After making our way back to Leadville, dodging some showers here and there, we returned to BV, grabbed some dinner at Casa del Sol and hung out by the fire with the few remaining stragglers at Arrowhead.

We got up Monday morning, and after moving our campsite in advance of the invasion of runners coming in, we headed out east on 285 to catch Weston Pass Road back towards Leadville. This was a real nice road, easy for us & our bikes and beautiful scenery on both sides of the pass!

After making our way into Leadville, we had some lunch at the Silver Dollar Saloon(been there since the 1800s).

Then we headed out east of town and rode around the mostly abandoned mining area there.

This is looking over towards Mosquito Pass, we started up the road to the pass, but it was rough from the getgo and being as it was already mid-afternoon, we decided to save that one for another day!

We headed back to Arrowhead and had a quiet night. The general camping area had so many tents from the runners packed in it, it looked like a refugee camp!

We got up Tuesday for our last day of riding before having to head back to Missouri. After breakfast, we headed down 285 to Marshall Pass road, this was a nice, easy road.

After Marshall, we headed on up to Tomichi Pass. We didn't really know what it would be like, but what we found after we got a pretty good ways in, was the most difficult road/pass that we would ride during this trip! It was definitely a challenge, but it was quite rewarding to make it to the top!

Not sure if this isn't what awaited you if you failed to make it up!

After making down the other side of Tomichi and catching our breath, we rode back to Buena Vista via Cumberland & Cottonwood, putting the finishing touch on a great day!

This was my first Westfest, and is almost guaranteed not to be my last! It was an unqualified great time with fabulous riding in a great setting and plenty of nice folks to meet! Big thanks to Ben for setting it up! Looking forward to next years!
spdrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #494
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,402
So, when do we find out where and when WestFest gonna be in 2014?
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #495
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
So, when do we find out where and when WestFest gonna be in 2014?

looking at doing a two week from south FLA to the west next year........WestFest would be a good turn around spot!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote