Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #4261
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Have you got the bash plate? I had mine put on at the first service and noticed more vibes afterwards. I did however put one tooth less front sprocket on at the same time so I had just put it down to this as the more likely culprit but interested to see if you do have the bash plate.

I
it aint your bashplate,

its your front sprocket making you rev more at the same speed which exaggerates the situation

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #4262
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I know that's what I said was likely to be the culprit, was just a thought for him.

Theoretically if the bash plate mounts are connecting the engine to the frame in different spots it could transfer vibes couldn't though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
it aint your bashplate,

its your front sprocket making you rev more at the same speed which exaggerates the situation
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #4263
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
If the bash plated mounted between the engine and the frame, what protects the frame? Never seen anything interrupt an engine mount for attachment- those mounts are sacred. Also- frame is metal, plate is metal...where's the added vibration gonna come from?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #4264
Larch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Question What are the "Updates" on the USA 2014 1190/1190R?

The recent article on the "R" model from Cycle World suggests that KTM will be adding a few updates to the Adventure before it goes on sale in the U.S.

I know what most of us think KTM might change / add, but does anyone actually know yet?

Of course, I'm hoping that no-one will just guess...

Okay from my test rides in the U.K., and from what I've read here, here's my shot at the wish-list so far:

No Orange. Anywhere. (On at least one option!)
Electronic suspension option on the "R" model
Better quality control (no more front wheel nightmares / loose hoses etc.)
Improved indicator switch (more feel)
Better heat insulation for rider
Better side-stand design
Increased alternator output
Better headlamp (led?)
Electronic cruise control (on both models, at least as an option)
On-the-fly adjustable windshield
1290 Super Duke engine
Better spring rates (if needed?)

'Course, none of this really matters... does it??
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #4265
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Automatic lights

Does anybody know where the light sensor is located? I need to tape over it. The light is going on-off-on-off-on-off when riding in dusk/dawn. Ever heard about hysteresis KTM????

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #4266
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun View Post
Does anybody know where the light sensor is located? I need to tape over it. The light is going on-off-on-off-on-off when riding in dusk/dawn. Ever heard about hysteresis KTM????

Audun
Above the yellow Warning triangle at 4 o'clock of the RPM center. But you can disable the sensor by turning DRL off (your dealer can do it permanently).
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #4267
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Supplied by your dealer or by KTM?
supplied by the dealer....but must come from KTM-OZ as the bottom of the instructions say ''Kind regards KTM Customer Service Team ''
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #4268
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
• No Orange. Anywhere. (On at least one option!)
• Electronic suspension option on the "R" model
• Better quality control (no more front wheel nightmares / loose hoses etc.)
• Improved indicator switch (more feel)
• Better heat insulation for rider
• Better side-stand design
• Increased alternator output
• Better headlamp (led?)
• Electronic cruise control (on both models, at least as an option)
• On-the-fly adjustable windshield
• 1290 Super Duke engine
• Better spring rates (if needed?)
Why would you want the electronic suspension on the R?
And that indicator switch is beautiful in my opinion. Its the difference between a keyboard and a typwriter. You just have to get used to it.

The side stand, even if the spring was ok, is a nightmare. Its 2 inches too long for a start.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #4269
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
I know that's what I said was likely to be the culprit, was just a thought for him.

Theoretically if the bash plate mounts are connecting the engine to the frame in different spots it could transfer vibes couldn't though?
going from plastic to metal reflects engine noise up more, that's not exactly vibration but it's definitely different
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #4270
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Post
1290 Super Duke engine
The displacement (and power) is already enough (if not too much). 1290 vs 1190 means more weight, but I doubt it's more useful power.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #4271
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCattledog View Post
Blue Silver and anyone else who's interested. I have had bad vibration problems with the bike from almost riding it home. The dealer and I have gone through a process of elimination to try to overcome same, I fitted the expensive "progressive handlebar damping system", which cured nothing but the dealers overdraft.
I reported probs with vibration from taking it home, hoping running in would solve same. Reported same at first service in which they checked all the mounting bolts for engine. Recomended the handelbar damping system which I bought like a mug.
Took it back to get kit I ordered and asked them to check the front wheel ballance, as suggested by you guys, front wheel way out, double the weights added, their mechanic reconed it was also through the pegs and probably engine.
Still having problems with vibration; talked to the Dealer today who in turn has contacted KTM, and this is not the first report of same. They want to have my bike at the Dealers for a week to check things out, I told them I't should go back to KTM to check things out.
How do you contact KTM UK, the mother ship.

Dunno what kind of rim tape they're using on these new wheels, but the VERY heavy (OEM) rim tape on the 9XX models was a recurring source of vibration. It drove some of us Westerners nutz trying to figure it out until one of the guyz replaced the tape with some lighter stuff and shazaaam, the vib was gone.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #4272
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Dunno what kind of rim tape they're using on these new wheels, but the VERY heavy (OEM) rim tape on the 9XX models was a recurring source of vibration. It drove some of us Westerners nutz trying to figure it out until one of the guyz replaced the tape with some lighter stuff and shazaaam, the vib was gone.
I thought this thread was dead.

1. Check run-out/spokes
2. Balance
3. If above fails, its the known tyre manufacturing flaw, end of story...

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #4273
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
The recent article on the "R" model from Cycle World suggests that KTM will be adding a few updates to the Adventure before it goes on sale in the U.S.

I know what most of us think KTM might change / add, but does anyone actually know yet?

Of course, I'm hoping that no-one will just guess...
From the factory mechanic at the Steamboat Rally...higher spring rates will be needed for the US models...something about obesity rates...or was it more muscle mass...?

By the way, if the first thing on your wish list is to have a bike with no orange...there are other forums you might find more satisfying and friendly...just sayin....
Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #4274
Larch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
RoundOz,

I knew about the higher spring rates (thanks for the confirmation, though) but I just wonder if KTM will be adding a few other updates too.

I guess I have to acknowledge that I'm not going to have a lot of luck on this forum with my orange-delete option wish (surprise!) and I'm really impressed with how tolerant you have been with me!

I have tried to find out why I detest orange so much. According to the good folks at http://www.saywhydoi.com/favourite-c...i-hate-orange/, my dislike of orange makes me uncreative, fun-lacking, and there is a high possibility that my "sacral chakra" is damaged.

But then, you probably already knew that!

Keep the U.S. model info. coming!
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #4275
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
The blue one some guy has on here knocks every other colour right out of the water. I'd take that blue without any orange over the stock colors. Why diddn't KTM come up with that instead of the grey one?!!

Quote:
RoundOz,

I knew about the higher spring rates (thanks for the confirmation, though) but I just wonder if KTM will be adding a few other updates too.

I guess I have to acknowledge that I'm not going to have a lot of luck on this forum with my orange-delete option wish (surprise!) and I'm really impressed with how tolerant you have been with me!

I have tried to find out why I detest orange so much. According to the good folks at http://www.saywhydoi.com/favourite-c...i-hate-orange/, my dislike of orange makes me uncreative, fun-lacking, and there is a high possibility that my "sacral chakra" is damaged.

But then, you probably already knew that!

Keep the U.S. model info. coming!
Uncreative by wanting something else then stock colors, those guys got dropped at birth...
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote