Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,254
2 dollar helmet 2 dollar head. Full face helmets are more common now in trials, especially the young expert and pro riders. Full face has merits as well as negatives. Most clubs require a DOT or Snell approved helmet. I will stick with my open face trials helmet.

Something I think trials helmet manufactures should consider as an option.

All ski race helmets and have been used to protect the face from gates for many years. The face guards could easily be installed on a traditional trials helmet.[IMG]http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/O2ArP04AY5r8r4m_uCC_qKQ4PjEvJT6_tCQlP7-omCGjpKTASl8_NblCLzM3MT21WDcxN7EqP08vOT9XHyKi76lva pjunxcYmJLl6qOXVZAOAA**/FXRM8P8A.B[/IMG]

Something like this

Or this

AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
2 dollar helmet 2 dollar head.
Didn't you say that backwards? And I think it was originally (in the 70s?) $10. Most of us have learned from various helmet tests that higher cost does not always equal higher protection. And most helmets aren't even designed for the typical application/crash, that's why you are seeing MX helmets evolve to anti-concussion protection vs. some steel point drop test rating.

Point was there are no FF trials helmets (that I could find), that's why more of us are looking to DH MTB market, not cuz we can't afford a fancy open face one.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Point was there are no FF trials helmets (that I could find), that's why more of us are looking to DH MTB market, not cuz we can't afford a fancy open face one.
My point is, trials riders desiring full face protection have many many options for a full face helmet. However the predominate issue is some sort of face protection. I just attempted to illustrate there are other options. Chris Hertritch has placed a DIY face guard on his young sons helmet. It keeps the weight down and still protects his face in the event of a header.

Some folks wear chest protectors, elbow guards, knee pads (always for me), elbow pads, maybe even a cup. No one says you can't or even frown upon added protection. 25+ years of riding trials has resulted in a few stitches and lots of scraps. YMMV
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
My point is, trials riders desiring full face protection have many many options for a full face helmet. However the predominate issue is some sort of face protection. I just attempted to illustrate there are other options. Chris Hertritch has placed a DIY face guard on his young sons helmet. It keeps the weight down and still protects his face in the event of a header.

Some folks wear chest protectors, elbow guards, knee pads (always for me), elbow pads, maybe even a cup. No one says you can't or even frown upon added protection. 25+ years of riding trials has resulted in a few stitches and lots of scraps. YMMV
That's understood. What I missed was your point behind your two dollar head comment. Sounded like you were implying something about those choosing to wear DH MTB helmets that cost less than trials helmets. Maybe my mileage varied.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
I have to kind of laugh, and be serious at the same time.

SO just what are you buying the helmet for, the "possible" or Probable? Hell Hail could kill you, if it hits you right, you carry a helmet in case it storms, on the way to the office, or groceries store or what ever?

But not me, I can't protect EVERY freakin "possible" scenario, I try to protect from the most likely, all the while, I hope to not tempt fate...

My helmet has saved me about 1000 times in 40 years, from those times I didn't duck for a limb, and from when I fell walking a section, hit my ass and my head on that same angled flat rock.

I knock on wood as I hit post, but what kind of expectations you have on some things, makes me think you have a hemet in the car, to goto work, groceries, et all, because it damn well could protect you from the "possible" although I hope is unlikely to happen to you.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Sting32;22298364]My helmet has saved me about 1000 times in 40 years, from those times I didn't duck for a limb, and from when I fell walking a section, hit my ass and my head on that same angled flat rock.
QUOTE]

I think the manufacturers recommend that you replace your helmet before 1,000 crashes and 40 years. Perhaps that is why it appears yours has failed to protect your head?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

I destroyed a Snell $400 dollar helmet back in the 90's hitting a Cottonwood limb on a hill climb in San Antonio. I woke up to motorcycle boots around me.

Quote:
Sting32

My helmet has saved me about 1000 times in 40 years, from those times I didn't duck for a limb, and from when I fell walking a section, hit my ass and my head on that same angled flat rock.
I just purchased a new helmet although my former helmet appears fine. Just worn out on the inside from sweat.

This one:

Quote:
Sounded like you were implying something about those choosing to wear DH MTB helmets that cost less than trials helmets.
POC, Fox and other motorcycle helmets for downhill MTB etc. are ubber expensive and of course also well made. There is also the DOT thing.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I have to kind of laugh, and be serious at the same time.

SO just what are you buying the helmet for, the "possible" or Probable? Hell Hail could kill you, if it hits you right, you carry a helmet in case it storms, on the way to the office, or groceries store or what ever?

But not me, I can't protect EVERY freakin "possible" scenario, I try to protect from the most likely, all the while, I hope to not tempt fate...

I knock on wood as I hit post, but what kind of expectations you have on some things, makes me think you have a hemet in the car, to goto work, groceries, et all, because it damn well could protect you from the "possible" although I hope is unlikely to happen to you.
Geez, I'll give it one more shot then go back to reading entertaining RRs, cuz if I end up with post counts as high as you two before I retire and get out of here I will know I have failed to heed the warning about arguing on the internet.

To answer the first question, chipped/broken teeth while wearing open face in past. As to your "some things" comment, I have no idea what else besides my wearing a FF helmet you are addressing.

Finally, I noticed Andrew Oldar wore a FF when he competed in our event at Donner a few years back. And I heard he wore a FF when he gave his training class to our club recently. Too bad you weren't there, you could have used your hail argument on him too.

bye
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Stu in Florida, I don't think there is any argument here, just comments. I totally support someone wearing a FFH. Conrad in our club has worn one for years as well as others.

Andrew Oldar wears a FFH due to a bicycle trials accident. He essentially destroyed his face, blocked wind pipe due to teeth imbedded. He missed a tap up - and went over the bars into concrete. He was put in a comma for a long time, then mega face reconstruction and $$$$. His parents insisted on a FFH after that and he will never ride a trials bicycle again. Also one of the nicest kids around, just like his parents.

I think all kids starting in moto trials should consider wearing a FFH T%There are many great options to consider, including a FFFKKK slalom ski race guard.

Conrad:

AteamNM screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 10:11 AM
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
I opened this thread on a lark and ended up reading the whole thing to this point. We watched a trials video last week where one fellow missed a "jump" (might be incorrect term) and then proceed to fall 6'+ onto his unprotected mug. Boulder vs. Face...

I was hurting for him. He wasn't a young pup judging by the clip, but he did bounce onto his feet and then you could hear the groans from the spectators/judges and I wanted to see the carnage to judge for myself.

However, I've seen a lot of this stuff on my old race circuit where a FFH wasn't kool and at most we wore Jawa/JT mask on our lightweight Echo or Vigor or JT bicycle helmets. Many paid a high price to avoid that unsightly FFH.

My kids wear FFH same as the old man does these days. If I ventured into trials I'd pick the most comfortable protection I could get in a FF design.

Besides, I'm not getting any cuter

sweetwater screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 08:18 AM
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
However, I've seen a lot of this stuff on my old race circuit where a FFH wasn't kool and at most we wore Jawa/JT mask on our lightweight Echo or Vigor or JT bicycle helmets. Many paid a high price to avoid that unsightly FFH.
As a past president of the New Mexico Trials Association I think I can speak for the membership and assure you that no one in our club would cast a disparaging eye on anyone choosing to wear a full-face helmet. That kind of "kool" we don't need.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Ridenm, that is perfect perspective! Broken faces are bad ju-ju.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #28
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Geez, I'll give it one more shot then go back to reading entertaining RRs, cuz if I end up with post counts as high as you two before I retire and get out of here I will know I have failed to heed the warning about arguing on the internet.

To answer the first question, chipped/broken teeth while wearing open face in past. As to your "some things" comment, I have no idea what else besides my wearing a FF helmet you are addressing.

Finally, I noticed Andrew Oldar wore a FF when he competed in our event at Donner a few years back. And I heard he wore a FF when he gave his training class to our club recently. Too bad you weren't there, you could have used your hail argument on him too.

bye
Little touchy, so I will just try to say it directly without being "funny" as I tried to, {fail}

I was just commenting on Snell/DOT what have you, vs bicycle hockey helmets that have been "good enough" considering 99% of trials riders never wore a helmet not that long ago, and how practical it is or Isn't to "attempt" to prevent injury for every "possible" outcome. Sheesh. I hope you find your perfect helmet, ffs. If you ride Pro level sections, or even if I did, I would probably wear more protection, than I do now, until I felt comfortable as the existing pro riders... if I moved up to Master/Pro I would do like the Dennis family does, wear a trimmed up MX chest protector, maybe add to that thigh pads.

But for Novice-intermediate, with average skills and stuff, I think sometimes us 'Mericans over think it sometimes.

There is NOT any mention of "kool" or not kewl, to wear helmet of one kind or the other. I did state I though kind poignantly, trying to be funny, if you think about it, you might want to wear a helmet in the car too, or have one with you for hailstorms, or crossing the street on foot.

Just trying to make a person that might be over thinking/worrying think. But go ahead and be pissed that I said anything, I seem to like it that way.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote