Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #12751
Galvo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Great great picture... i love this places: ample space with a river or a dam nearby, a group of friends and lots of gabble !
Galvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #12752
radiantpath
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post
Sounds like your new screen is just tall enough to be in the no-zone. A short screen with no wind protection will keep your helmet in constant airflow, so you feel the wind pressure, but it can get tiring. A proper tall screen will put the wind flow over your helmet so you don't feel any wind at all. What you've got seems to be right in the middle, where you get all the wind buffeting right in the helmet. That means your head gets shaken around and you get dreadfully loud wind noise that is unbearably tiring. IMO a taller screen is worth it for a quieter and smoother ride.

I'm too tall for my aftermarket windscreen as well (189 cm) so I put this on and it's great now.

You can see if something like this will work by putting your hand at the top of your windscreen while riding and see how much extra height you need on your screen.
Thank you for your timely answer. My thoughts (at least some) exactly.

My Powerbronze screen is not really that new, I was annoyed by it for some time now.

I think a change is in order in the near future, I just wondered if a setup like yours is really change that much. It's like the big name MRA Vario, which is almost exactly double price in my country compared to the Powerbronze one.

It's just... I researched in the uk africa twin forum a bit and I seem to recall some members loathed the Vario setup for the RD04 saying not only the miracle didn't happen but it made matters worse (like in my case the Powerbronze did. Any owner with the RD07, which has a different fairing, and a different screen design from MRA were delighted with the screen.

I agree with the principle of raising the windblast above the helmet with an extra piece of screen mounted, I'm just not to sure that with the basic form of the screen is even capable of deflecting wind efficently, even with a raiser (like in the case of the MRA).
radiantpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #12753
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 602
As you adjust the slope of the "spoiler", youll be able to effectively deflect the flow. Best solution IMHO
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #12754
Davemacduf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
wind screens

Hola Moto amigos,
Just a little story about "wind screens" and things are not always what they appear to be,especially possible when aerodynamic affects are involved.
I have 2 2003 a/ts and recently did a 2 month 20,000 kilometer tour of South America.
One moto has a stock screen and the other an aftermarket 2 piece with slotted adjustability of 2 inches. At the last minute I decided not to mount the second slotted piece as the curves distorted ones vision for looking 20 feet in front of the bike on rutted gravel Bolivian roads.Add some bugs and mud to the distortion and the view is not very clear.Without the second piece I could look over the top as the height was similar to the stock.
The height may have been similar but there the similarity ends. In Brazil between gas stops my screen was covered heavily with insects and the stock was nearly clean almost no bugs.
For me at 6ft. tall the stock is perfect with the air hitting near the top of my helmet. Good old Honda with a good aerodynamic screen that I can look over the top when negotiating ruts and rocks.
Needless to say I will run the stock screen on both motos.
Davemacduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #12755
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Regarding screens, it varies according to the rider height.

If you think the stock screen is best for you, then use it.
Japs are short people and for a shortie, the stock might work very well.
For me, at 1.75 metres (dunno how many feet/inches that is), the MRA touring with tilt-able spoiler was a heaven's sent gift.
Regarding the off-road riding mosquitos/mud thing, the problems are the same as with the stock screen, as both of them are prone to get dirt.
I know for a fact, because I've run both the stock, the Givi tall and now the MRA Vario and for all of them I had to clean them from time to time.
On the road, even with dirt/mosquitoes on the screen, I can see above the spoiler for a safe distance, and off-road I just stand on the pegs and lower the spoiler. If I need to, I'll just wipe it clean.

Also, the MRA spoiler is adjustable so you can put it down for offroad, efectively taking it out of your eyesight anytime with ease. Even more, just two screws each side and a small wrench and you can remove it altogether and put it back when needed.

Finally, to ride off-road (especially in ruts) while sitting on the bike, is harder (for me anyway) than standing on the pegs, when the screen height/type/condition of dirty-ness is not much of a problem anyway.

FWIW, here's the MRA screen I'm talking about:
The MRA with the stock on the back

And this is how it looks with me on the bike

An absolutely brilliant screen if you ask me.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #12756
radiantpath
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemacduf View Post
Hola Moto amigos,
Just a little story about "wind screens" and things are not always what they appear to be,especially possible when aerodynamic affects are involved.
I have 2 2003 a/ts and recently did a 2 month 20,000 kilometer tour of South America.
One moto has a stock screen and the other an aftermarket 2 piece with slotted adjustability of 2 inches. At the last minute I decided not to mount the second slotted piece as the curves distorted ones vision for looking 20 feet in front of the bike on rutted gravel Bolivian roads.Add some bugs and mud to the distortion and the view is not very clear.Without the second piece I could look over the top as the height was similar to the stock.
The height may have been similar but there the similarity ends. In Brazil between gas stops my screen was covered heavily with insects and the stock was nearly clean almost no bugs.
For me at 6ft. tall the stock is perfect with the air hitting near the top of my helmet. Good old Honda with a good aerodynamic screen that I can look over the top when negotiating ruts and rocks.
Needless to say I will run the stock screen on both motos.
The only difference is that you ride a 2003 AT, which, as I understand has slightly different fairing than the older models, like mine from 1990. On the UK forum it was pointed out that same make and type of a given screen is very different on RD04 and RD07. I couldn't compare to another bike unfortunately.

I'm 6ft too, and with a touring seat, which I believe is even lower than the original, so stock screen should work for me as for you. But for me, the stock too was unpleasant if not even bad. Taller screen was more like a dissapointment, like the bike is nearly as tall as me with it Maybe I have a f..ed up seating position.

I'm not saying I entirely given up on the idea to convert the bike back to stock condition as it was my plan in the last two years. Just like to know my options.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #12757
radiantpath
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post

An absolutely brilliant screen if you ask me.
It looks rather nice on the bike (even more so compared to a flip up tall screen).

You almost had me convinced with that single picture.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #12758
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantpath View Post
I'm just not to sure that with the basic form of the screen is even capable of deflecting wind efficently, even with a raiser (like in the case of the MRA).
I would look at some screens that sweep up like the rallye style, rather than those like the MRA and stock screens that mainly sweep back. The extra upward lip adds some wind deflection without adding too much height to the screen if that's an issue for offroad short-distance visibility.

Alainmax can post a picture of his bike with this windscreen on it.

http://www.ruggedroads.com/shop/arti...DB-PA8892KC%26

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #12759
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,806
Anyone hear from Jim after the rains/floods in Colorado?

Jim, hope you're OK and not mudsurfing the new foundation downhill.

See, you should got those mud tires for the SUV sooner, now the prices will be nuts.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #12760
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,500
We're fine and so is the foundation. A little mitigation goes a long way. I laid down 160 sandbags a while back to divert any runoff. I didn't want to turn my toy hauler into the SS Minnow. Hmmm... Ginger or Maryann?

Backfilling today. I-beams delivered. Wood package on Friday. Framing may start on Saturday.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #12761
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Anyone hear from Jim after the rains/floods in Colorado?

Jim, hope you're OK and not mudsurfing the new foundation downhill.

See, you should got those mud tires for the SUV sooner, now the prices will be nuts.

Jim's on FB, must be doing fine
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #12762
KT1
RD07A Adventure

Oddometer: 199
On any Sunday !

Honda XRV-750 -1998
http://www.taxi240.hu
KT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #12763
L3on
Big nOOb

Oddometer: 47
So, last week when I was commuting back from work I lost my tank bag at 120kph in dense traffic after that got a flat rear tire. So for that day i was done with riding.

The bike is now in my shed waiting for Some TLC, a new tire is needed in the rear and i'm replacing my front one as wel.

I like the TCK80, but the mitas E09 has my attention to.

For spring 2014 i'm planning a trip to the south of europe, all by myself or with a friend, does somebody got any trip tips for Spain, portugal, italy, swiss, austria hungary, etc?

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #12764
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3on View Post
So, last week when I was commuting back from work I lost my tank bag at 120kph in dense traffic after that got a flat rear tire. So for that day i was done with riding.

The bike is now in my shed waiting for Some TLC, a new tire is needed in the rear and i'm replacing my front one as wel.

For spring 2014 i'm planning a trip to the south of europe, all by myself or with a friend, does somebody got any trip tips for Spain, portugal, italy, swiss, austria hungary, etc?

Cheers!
Try Regionals. Lots of advice usually.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #12765
Atwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3on View Post

Cheers!
Hi,

If you're planing your trip trough Slovenia, I can give you some details, if you are interested.

Brgs
Atwin is offline   Reply With Quote