Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Thorgrim OP
Used'ta could

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Scorpa also has the T-Ride:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyl7KyaBG6c
Oh, yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about! Now, off to find a dealer with a parts inventory. Looks like there's a dealer near Knoxville TN, which isn't terribly far away.

Edit to add: Ooh, pricey, and a tiny fuel tank. It's a nice-looking bike, though.

Thorgrim screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 08:53 AM Reason: edit to add
Thorgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
MihaiVeniamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Wicked Ktm freeride

KTM has revealed another FREERIDE nowadays, I know is possible not to reach the US, but you can consider it

new KTM 250R FREERIDE - 2stroke, lightweight 92.5 kg, good suspension.
MihaiVeniamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
RoberTx
Blind man ridin'

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
For the younger guys, Bultaco made a bike in 250 and 350 2-stroke called the Alpina. tI was roughly a trials bike with a bigger tank and seat and higher top gears.

I had a 250 and a 350 and loved them both. I wouldn't have ventured far on the highway on the 250, but the 350 was another matter. Not Interstate-capable, but it did fine at 50-55mph in spurts after I fiddled with sprockets, just enough to get to the woods where it was King. I've had a variety of MX bikes 125-400ccs and enduros (including a Penton 175 Jackpine) and I loved the Alpina most.

So, since we're in the age of 4-strokes, are there any bikes somewhat like the Alpina? I know in advance they'll be heavier especially if they're water-cooled, but there's generally enough extra HP to make up some of the difference (IIRC, the 350 Alpina weighed 211# and had 18 HP, but gobs of instant torque).

What modern bike most fills the Alpina's shoes?
Why not just buy a used Alpin and rebuild or find one already rebuilt? This one would be about half the price of some of the modern 2 smokes. I'm old enough to remember the Alpina and the rave reviews it got. Never rode one myself but it sure was a well liked machine.

........ this add ran about 2 years ago on the USA 2Strokers forum.

Quote:
For Sale
1975 Bultaco Alpina 350 this is the TRAIL bike not the Trials bike (same frame as Sherpa though)
Asking $4500 but open to offers
Full restoration finished last year, extremely clean
Engine and frame numbers match
All original with the exception of the fenders which are real Preston Petty period correct replacements
Runs great and starts great for a Bultaco, takes about 4-5 kicks once you know the procedure
All lights and electrics work even the Lucas headlight
New speedo and new speedo drive gear in hub
Amal carb with all new internal parts
Still has original suit case muffler
Recently won promoters choice at Sears Point Vintage show and has won a trophy at every show entered since restoration.
Also have original brochure in mint condition that is included with sale
RoberTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
JRAM
sherpa

Oddometer: 41
Ah the Alpina. One of my all time favorite bikes. I have had a M85 Alpina since I was a teenager. The first full size bike I rode. I like the 250 motor, the 350 motor isn't any faster but more torque. Think 2nd gear climbs versus 1st gear on the 250. I have ridden a newer Gas Gas Pampera 280 2T and that is the closest thing I have found in newer bikes like the Alpina.

Parts are available- why not find one. All the models are good IMO, the later ones are a little more refined, like quieter exhaust, and better seat. Super easy to work on and very reliable once everything is sorted.

077 (2) by alperpa2001, on Flickr
JRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
errrrrrrrrrrrrrr I think you mean each.... I paid about $900 for a Model 85 in 1972.... they were a couple hundred more than a Japanese bike

and ya.... great bottom end for a 2x
Yep, I think that's what I meant........that was a long, long, long time ago.
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Here you go. Ones for sale in the Rockies flea market by Scott1911:

stuff and things with wheels
Clean 1997 Beta ALP 250, low hours with recent dealer service.
Current trail sticker
trail and trial fenders
trail seat
good tires
new sprockets and chain
comes with both trail and trial counter shaft sprockets
low seat height
easy to start
can be easily made street legal
never titled
Very clean, rare bike ready to ride today, 2200 obo contact through PM
ADV price 2000

Nope, still too much trials ergonomics. The Alpina was/is actually comfortable to sit on. Especially for those of us with less than perfect knees.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx View Post
Why not just buy a used Alpin and rebuild or find one already rebuilt? This one would be about half the price of some of the modern 2 smokes. I'm old enough to remember the Alpina and the rave reviews it got. Never rode one myself but it sure was a well liked machine.

........ this add ran about 2 years ago on the USA 2Strokers forum.

My mouth is watering. Would buy one of those in a heartbeat. I had a '73 350 and should never have sold it. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,571
get a hold of Hughs Bultaco, or SMOG (Spanish Motorcycle Owners Group)

http://www.bultaco.com/bikes-for-sale.html

http://spanishmotorcycles.org/

they didn't sell by year, but by model. somewhere around 1976 they were converted to left side gear shift. older ones are right side shifters. some can be converted if that matters to you

edit.... wow prices have gone up. Hugh's at one time had NOS wheels, frames, engines, etc the lot.... you could build one from scratch. BTW, the bottom end on the 5 speed models is the same, so you can bolt a 250 jug & head onto a 125 and turn a Pursang into Sherpa with the right parts (well, engine wise anyway)

Beezer screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 01:08 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
Thorgrim OP
Used'ta could

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAM View Post
Ah the Alpina. One of my all time favorite bikes. I have had a M85 Alpina since I was a teenager. The first full size bike I rode. I like the 250 motor, the 350 motor isn't any faster but more torque. Think 2nd gear climbs versus 1st gear on the 250. I have ridden a newer Gas Gas Pampera 280 2T and that is the closest thing I have found in newer bikes like the Alpina.

Parts are available- why not find one. All the models are good IMO, the later ones are a little more refined, like quieter exhaust, and better seat. Super easy to work on and very reliable once everything is sorted.

077 (2) by alperpa2001, on Flickr
That's my baby you're riding in that nasty old creek! What is that, a 1970, '71? Both of mine, the 250 & the 350 looked like that, you really had to look closely to tell them apart if you weren't an Alpina fan. If I could pick just one bike I could kick my own tail over selling, it would be the 350 although it wasn't as reliable as the 250 (the rubber boot/duct between the carb and air box could rupture in hot weather/hard riding and it leaned out the mixture too much, I never found a suitable replacement for the stock part - the 250 didn't have that problem for some reason).

When I have bike money again (soon, I hope, buyers signed a contract on the house) I'll look into the Pampera, seems to be the closest I'll get in a new bike. If I had a place to maintain it properly I'd be looking for an Alpina in good shape. I guess I could just ride the damned thing up the steps to my porch, though.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
That's my baby you're riding in that nasty old creek! What is that, a 1970, '71? Both of mine, the 250 & the 350 looked like that, you really had to look closely to tell them apart if you weren't an Alpina fan. If I could pick just one bike I could kick my own tail over selling, it would be the 350 although it wasn't as reliable as the 250 (the rubber boot/duct between the carb and air box could rupture in hot weather/hard riding and it leaned out the mixture too much, I never found a suitable replacement for the stock part - the 250 didn't have that problem for some reason).

When I have bike money again (soon, I hope, buyers signed a contract on the house) I'll look into the Pampera, seems to be the closest I'll get in a new bike. If I had a place to maintain it properly I'd be looking for an Alpina in good shape. I guess I could just ride the damned thing up the steps to my porch, though.
That looks just like my '73 350. But the fenders look to have been changed, the al ones were hard to keep straight.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,571
the one I wish I had back was my Matador 250 ISDT replica.... turns out that was a pretty rare bike. I sold/traded it in '74 for a Husky 360 MX with the 2 speed transfer case over the 4 speed gear box. great bike when it ran but the Motoplat ignition kept crapping out (I know, Bulto used Motoplat too, all mine were pre-Motoplat)

looked like this one...

enclosed chain, leather tool bag, map strip reader, watch holder... it was a true rally bike that won the ISDT a few years.

the example above is missing the can of fix-a-flat.... you could only use what came with the bike on the ISDT (6 Days)
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
Gas-Gas had the Pampera, supposedly in the USA too. Never saw one except on line but to me that thing looked awesome!
It was awesome; my (now ex) wife won the Women's offroad class at the PNWMA for several years on one. Two of her friends bought them as well after we extolled it as the perfect women's offroad bike. I even rode it on a very challenging ride with the local trials club at one point.

It was a 2002 Pampera 250EC and after 5 years, the poor thing was getting worn out and she sold it off and got a brand new KTM 200XC which we had professionally revalved and lowered.

The KTM was a great bike too, but the Pampera just flat out worked better in the really tight, gnarly stuff. The Pampera's suspension and brakes were high end but more trials derived and couldn't take the speed that my son or I could sustain at race pace but for her it was perfect.

The bike was light, low, had decent suspension and brakes (as long as you weren't jumping or pushing it too hard in the fast sections) and best of all, the motor was magic in the uglies. My only gripes were parts availability and some cheezy fasteners (like the sheet metal screws holding on the rad shouds). Keep in mind that the advertised weight was for a street legal (in Europe) bike and we stripped off a box of stuff prepping it for life as an offroad race bike.

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
Thorgrim OP
Used'ta could

I get tickled reading about the supermoto guys talking about their bikes encouraging them to be hooligans. They may be right, but they obviously haven't ridden anything like an Alpina ... and perhaps they shouldn't. Power? No, but unless the PoPo can catch a billy goat with an attitude using a patrol car, the only hold they have over you is your sense of responsibility as a dutiful citizen. That can fade somewhat the moment you realize that most of the landscape is no longer an obstacle.