Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #81616
dave43
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
[QUOTE=acesandeights;22358455]To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=677

FWIW I use Pivots and they suit my dodgy old ankles which are also inside MX style boots for support. Also have lowering plates which put them 1" lower and to the rear and further out by the thickness of the plate. Works for me. And you can buy them cheaper in the US than we can where they are made.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #81617
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The stockers are stamped 32E.

I can't see the left side of my bike when it is in my shop. I pulled it out today and looked at the left side and sure enough there it was 32e. Many apologies.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #81618
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Wicked Warp9man!

Well I have your Brake and Clutch 3 Finger Levers and your 320 mm front disk so add me to the WARP LIST!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #81619
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Thumb Pivot Pegz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet

If this makes any difference, one of the reasons I'm looking is for traction, but another is that I broke my ankle many years ago and I can drop the front of my foot, but I have a difficult time picking it up (past a certain point) at the toe area (if that makes sense). I can down shift easy enough, but especially when wearing heavier boots, lifting the front of my foot to upshift is more difficult. The DR shifter is placed just at such a point that it's difficult to get under it and be able to lift it (sounds worse than it is, but it makes for slightly slower up shifting). I'm wondering if an aftermarket peg will offer better performance, but maybe also allow for better shifting. I have an insane amount of arthritis in the joint as well and riding a motorcycle causes extreme joint pain after the ride. I don't know if having a solid peg (less joint movement) or one that pivots (probably allowing the joint to flex/move more overall during the ride) will be better.
I shattered my Right ankle when I was 16, I am now 52, I broke my Tibia and fibula and tore many ligaments and shattered my heal I spent 16 hours in surgery this was old school surgery back in 1978 it took me a year till I could walk with out a cane, No rehab back then. so I now use the Pivot Pegs and love the Movement I have with them my right foot has lost 30% movement. Paul.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #81620
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,973

Hump day, but then I'm retired. Good day, no crashing.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #81621
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Quote:
To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet
FWIW I use Pivots and they suit my dodgy old ankles which are also inside MX style boots for support. Also have lowering plates which put them 1" lower and to the rear and further out by the thickness of the plate. Works for me. And you can buy them cheaper in the US than we can where they are made.
Thank you.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #81622
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I shattered my Right ankle when I was 16, I am now 52, I broke my Tibia and fibula and tore many ligaments and shattered my heal I spent 16 hours in surgery this was old school surgery back in 1978 it took me a year till I could walk with out a cane, No rehab back then. so I now use the Pivot Pegs and love the Movement I have with them my right foot has lost 30% movement. Paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys, sounds like similar circumstance. I guess that's the way to go then.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #81623
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Agree. Pretty. That's some nice work there. I'm always in awe of the beauty of machine work. This craft took the USA to the moon and back. It's sad that we're now tolling out everything to China / India / Dumfukistan , sacrificing quality for price and disposability. Then again - does a hammer need 0.1mm tolerances ?

More power to ya' in your endeavors. (and lose the orange... ).
No chit, my heart broke when someone cancelled our space program. Getting man to the moon was the greatest achievement in mankind's history.

Yes, a hammer needs 0.001 tolerances. Merica engineers don't do metrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I can't see the left side of my bike when it is in my shop. I pulled it out today and looked at the left side and sure enough there it was 32e. Many apologies.
No apologies necessary when I'm right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Hump day, but then I'm retired. Good day, no crashing.
I'm tired too and spending this week in the Canyonlands, however no motorcycle. It's still damn pritty though. Ok, gotta go to bed, more exploring to do tomorrow.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #81624
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I'm not sure its excessive with the right spring, but links are there to modify the leverage ratio that the axle applies to the spring. OTTOMH, I've think I've seen the DR link quoted as 2.8:1 AVERAGE. This is the interweb though But it doesn't start or finish at 2.8 though. Some links have rising and some have falling, and some combine rising and falling changes in the ratio as they go through their travel. I haven't got or seen a plot of the DR's link.

I should also add that the %s I mentioned above are for off road use. As you go more road and sporting they get less, say 5-10% static and 20-25% laden.
Jeff has done a very good study into the rear suspension. Check it out here
http://drriders.com/topic8180.html
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #81625
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
The sunset last night over Saginaw Bay Lake Huron

I'm just about to start heading back west.
Ride Report here --> http://drriders.com/topic9519.html
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #81626
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Highly unlikely....however going down one tooth in the front will give very close to the same gearing and the chain length should be fine

44/15 and 41/14 both equal 2.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
Yes
I have run 15/44 with a stock length chain. The adjuster with a new chain will be set just 1 notch past zero, but it will fit.
I currently run 14/44 and love it, but kept the 15 in case I plan a long trip.
I wanted to get the bigger rear sprocket so I could in fact run "14/44" so when the heavy duty stuff comes along, become the John Deer DR650 tractor. But yes, I've do use the 14/41 setup and does work quite well.

But I really do like the 15/41 for commuting and the highway work that I do occasionaly, as the DR loves to coast along at 110/120 kph quite effortlessly with this setup.

Anyone reccommend going to a 13/41 setup for the knarly stuff. I've read the chain has to turn tighter and thus may wear quicker.

Anyway, I should have sorted it out right the first time but was a bit tight with the cash at the time.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #81627
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Anyone reccommend going to a 13/41 setup for the knarly stuff. I've read the chain has to turn tighter and thus may wear quicker.
Yes, rolling around a smaller sprocket will wear the chain a little faster. If you only run it when the lower gearing is needed then the impact on chain life will be minimal. IMO a little less chain life is fine if it makes the bike that much more fun to ride.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #81628
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Agree. Pretty. That's some nice work there. I'm always in awe of the beauty of machine work. This craft took the USA to the moon and back. It's sad that we're now tolling out everything to China / India / Dumfukistan, sacrificing quality for price and disposability. Then again - does a hammer need 0.1mm tolerances ?

More power to ya' in your endeavors. (and lose the orange... ).
A bit off topic but it seems most our young people and the school systems who educate them have decided that working with one's hands is below them. The "trades" are no longer offered as an option in many high schools. Everyone is treated as college bound these days. Yeah, we need more lawyers and bankers and less machinists, welders and the like. :
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #81629
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
A bit off topic but it seems most our young people and the school systems who educate them have decided that working with one's hands is below them. The "trades" are no longer offered as an option in many high schools. Everyone is treated as college bound these days. Yeah, we need more lawyers and bankers and less machinists, welders and the like. :
Anymore, machinists and welders need college level education to meet the technical demands in those fields too. But yeah, I agree that it's a shame that kids in school have fewer opportunities to learn how to make things they can hold in their hands.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #81630
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I have a 41 tooth rear sprocket and usually run a 14 up front, but I keep a 13 tooth sprocket in my tool pack. I put it on from time to time. I really like it in the nasties. On the road the revs are higher but tolerable.

I use the clip that Keintech sells so switching is just a matter of loosening the rear axle adjustment popping the clip and switching the sprockets with the chain still in place and putting on the clip and readjust.

Try it, you'll like it