ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #81586
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
NO,

100-105 mm for dirt bikes with 300 mm travel maybe. Too much for a DR and 90 mm max I reckon. 85 mm is good, with 20-25 mm static. The rule of thumb is, and has been for ever AFAIK is 10% static and 30-33% laden. That's % of available travel. Fine tune that for load variations and links if you have them.
Right you are!
What is your explanation for the excessive static rear sag on a stock DR650?
I've never quite figured that out. Someone from Suzuki claimed it was due to the link design. What are your thoughts?

Those are very good rough percentages to start with, spot on.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #81587
FlowBee
Just me.
 
FlowBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Stasis.
Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Wish I could work with ya - I would love to learn the machining business. [...]
Agree. Pretty. That's some nice work there. I'm always in awe of the beauty of machine work. This craft took the USA to the moon and back. It's sad that we're now tolling out everything to China / India / Dumfukistan, sacrificing quality for price and disposability. Then again - does a hammer need 0.1mm tolerances ?

More power to ya' in your endeavors. (and lose the orange... ).
__________________
"And then this one time at banned camp ....."
FlowBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #81588
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Right you are!
What is your explanation for the excessive static rear sag on a stock DR650?
I've never quite figured that out. Someone from Suzuki claimed it was due to the link design. What are your thoughts?

Those are very good rough percentages to start with, spot on.

Usually you set the race sag and if your static sag isn't right, you have the wrong spring. Adjust accordingly.

After setting race/rider sag if your static sag is too little, you need a heavier spring.

Sounds counter intuitive, but if you reason it out, you'll come to the same conclusion

In other words if you have to crank in way far to get the correct race sag. your bike won't settle the right amount when you aren't on it. With a heavier spring you don't have to crank in as much preload and the bike will settle farther, as long as it isn't too heavy..
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #81589
motolab
Beastly Adventurer
 
motolab's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I see several dealers there selling various DR650 goodies .. but few ever post on this thread except Cogent and Pro Cycle.
I post here.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #81590
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Right you are!
What is your explanation for the excessive static rear sag on a stock DR650?
I've never quite figured that out. Someone from Suzuki claimed it was due to the link design. What are your thoughts?

Those are very good rough percentages to start with, spot on.
I'm not sure its excessive with the right spring, but links are there to modify the leverage ratio that the axle applies to the spring. OTTOMH, I've think I've seen the DR link quoted as 2.8:1 AVERAGE. This is the interweb though But it doesn't start or finish at 2.8 though. Some links have rising and some have falling, and some combine rising and falling changes in the ratio as they go through their travel. I haven't got or seen a plot of the DR's link.

I should also add that the %s I mentioned above are for off road use. As you go more road and sporting they get less, say 5-10% static and 20-25% laden.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #81591
dave43
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: West Aus - Southwest
Oddometer: 236
[QUOTE=acesandeights;22358455]To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=677

FWIW I use Pivots and they suit my dodgy old ankles which are also inside MX style boots for support. Also have lowering plates which put them 1" lower and to the rear and further out by the thickness of the plate. Works for me. And you can buy them cheaper in the US than we can where they are made.
__________________
Dave
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #81592
Rocktown
Reformed
 
Rocktown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Little rock, Arkansas
Oddometer: 323
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The stockers are stamped 32E.

I can't see the left side of my bike when it is in my shop. I pulled it out today and looked at the left side and sure enough there it was 32e. Many apologies.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #81593
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 466
Wicked Warp9man!

Well I have your Brake and Clutch 3 Finger Levers and your 320 mm front disk so add me to the WARP LIST!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #81594
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 466
Thumb Pivot Pegz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=677

If this makes any difference, one of the reasons I'm looking is for traction, but another is that I broke my ankle many years ago and I can drop the front of my foot, but I have a difficult time picking it up (past a certain point) at the toe area (if that makes sense). I can down shift easy enough, but especially when wearing heavier boots, lifting the front of my foot to upshift is more difficult. The DR shifter is placed just at such a point that it's difficult to get under it and be able to lift it (sounds worse than it is, but it makes for slightly slower up shifting). I'm wondering if an aftermarket peg will offer better performance, but maybe also allow for better shifting. I have an insane amount of arthritis in the joint as well and riding a motorcycle causes extreme joint pain after the ride. I don't know if having a solid peg (less joint movement) or one that pivots (probably allowing the joint to flex/move more overall during the ride) will be better.
I shattered my Right ankle when I was 16, I am now 52, I broke my Tibia and fibula and tore many ligaments and shattered my heal I spent 16 hours in surgery this was old school surgery back in 1978 it took me a year till I could walk with out a cane, No rehab back then. so I now use the Pivot Pegs and love the Movement I have with them my right foot has lost 30% movement. Paul.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #81595
barko1
barko1
 
barko1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM or thereabouts
Oddometer: 3,253


Hump day, but then I'm retired. Good day, no crashing.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
__________________
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #81596
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=677
FWIW I use Pivots and they suit my dodgy old ankles which are also inside MX style boots for support. Also have lowering plates which put them 1" lower and to the rear and further out by the thickness of the plate. Works for me. And you can buy them cheaper in the US than we can where they are made.
Thank you.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #81597
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I shattered my Right ankle when I was 16, I am now 52, I broke my Tibia and fibula and tore many ligaments and shattered my heal I spent 16 hours in surgery this was old school surgery back in 1978 it took me a year till I could walk with out a cane, No rehab back then. so I now use the Pivot Pegs and love the Movement I have with them my right foot has lost 30% movement. Paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
To piggyback a bit. I am considering new footpegs. Are Pivot Pegz http://www.pivotpegz.net/ the cat's meow? I am looking for a more offroad oriented peg and don't know if the Pivot Pegz offer much advantage over something like the ProMoto Billet
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=677
FWIW I use Pivots and they suit my dodgy old ankles which are also inside MX style boots for support. Also have lowering plates which put them 1" lower and to the rear and further out by the thickness of the plate. Works for me. And you can buy them cheaper in the US than we can where they are made.
Thanks guys, sounds like similar circumstance. I guess that's the way to go then.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #81598
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Agree. Pretty. That's some nice work there. I'm always in awe of the beauty of machine work. This craft took the USA to the moon and back. It's sad that we're now tolling out everything to China / India / Dumfukistan , sacrificing quality for price and disposability. Then again - does a hammer need 0.1mm tolerances ?

More power to ya' in your endeavors. (and lose the orange... ).
No chit, my heart broke when someone cancelled our space program. Getting man to the moon was the greatest achievement in mankind's history.

Yes, a hammer needs 0.001 tolerances. Merica engineers don't do metrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I can't see the left side of my bike when it is in my shop. I pulled it out today and looked at the left side and sure enough there it was 32e. Many apologies.
No apologies necessary when I'm right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Hump day, but then I'm retired. Good day, no crashing.
I'm tired too and spending this week in the Canyonlands, however no motorcycle. It's still damn pritty though. Ok, gotta go to bed, more exploring to do tomorrow.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 AM   #81599
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I'm not sure its excessive with the right spring, but links are there to modify the leverage ratio that the axle applies to the spring. OTTOMH, I've think I've seen the DR link quoted as 2.8:1 AVERAGE. This is the interweb though But it doesn't start or finish at 2.8 though. Some links have rising and some have falling, and some combine rising and falling changes in the ratio as they go through their travel. I haven't got or seen a plot of the DR's link.

I should also add that the %s I mentioned above are for off road use. As you go more road and sporting they get less, say 5-10% static and 20-25% laden.
Jeff has done a very good study into the rear suspension. Check it out here
http://drriders.com/topic8180.html
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #81600
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,194
The sunset last night over Saginaw Bay Lake Huron



I'm just about to start heading back west.
Ride Report here --> http://drriders.com/topic9519.html
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014