User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Astronaut Jones OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
New to me DR650. I have questions. Updated 10-27

Update- I rode the DR on my semi- annual trip to Torrey, UT.
1- Tires. On the advice of a very knowledgeable guy, I chose Avon Gripster tires. They worked well for the things that I wanted them to do. I had a bunch of sand on one of the rides. They didn’t work too well in the sand, but what does.
2- Seat. I used a thin foam pad, doubled up to sit on, on top of the stock seat. By day 4, on I-15 near Mesquite, NV, I couldn’t take it anymore (We rode about 900 miles in 4 days). My brother kindly switched bikes with me for the rest of the trip to Las Vegas. I need something!!! I’m still afraid to drop the big money for a custom seat. One of the riders at the gathering in Torrey highly recommends the Air Hawk seat cushion.
3- Fuel. My gas mileage is terrible. I think I might have the wrong jet in the carb. I bought and installed a Roto Pax tank on my rear rack. It was nice insurance as I had to go to reserve several times. I need to figure out the fuel mixture issues, and get a bigger tank.
4- Cargo. I didn’t buy anything new for cargo, yet. I used a big duffel bag and my tank bag and bungee cords. I saw bike with tank panniers, looks like something I’d like to try. I also plan on getting some rear racks that would hold my Roto Pax (fuel and water) and some soft luggage.

Astronaut Jones screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 04:58 PM Reason: Updated
Astronaut Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronaut Jones View Post
I just bought a 2002 DR650. Love it so far, but have a few questions.

1- Tires. Shinko E705 or Kenda 784? If you want to ride much offroad, go with the 784, at least up front. Other knobs might work well for you too. I'm liking the IRC TR8 for a pavement-friendly front knob on a budget. I'm currently running a Kenda K270 rear that gets me around offroad OK and lasts decently onroad for $60, but it hums a bit on slab and can chunk an occasional knob if you twist the throttle off in rough terrain.

2- Seat. My rear hurts after an hour. Fleece or Air Hawk or? The Seat Concepts kit is really popular for DRs, and it's not as expensive as a lot of the custom seats, which are also popular. You can also modify the stock foam with regularly-spaced vertical holes, and toughen up your rear. I was OK on the stock seat all day, but it took some gradual break-in of my rear. Besides the fleece and the Airhawk, also take a look at the SweetCheeks seatpad, for more width and some water capacity. I ride quite a bit of dirt though, so I prefer to have just a bare seat that is fairly comfortable. The Seat Concepts works for me.

3-Fuel. Roto Pax or larger tank or? I'd go with a larger tank. You don't always have to fill it, and the DR is heavy enough that I don't really notice slosh in my IMS 4.9. I also don't like messing around with strapping/bolting huge extra things onto the bike when I'm riding rough ground. It's just one more thing to break/fall off, whereas a larger plastic tank is typically tougher than the stock steel.

Shop used if you have the time. 5gal is a nice all-around size for roughly 200 miles of range. I go considerably more, but my DR gets around 50MPG. I can still augment with an auxiliary container too, but 5gal handles most of N America pretty well without being REALLY big for everyday riding like the 7.9 Safari.

4- Cargo. I was looking at the Dirt Bagz. Opinions or other relatively inexpensive options? Dirt Bagz are a quality product. I also like the Wolfman luggage, if you can find a good deal. Use separate thin drybags in whatever luggage you decide on. Also look at distributing some weight and keeping it somewhat low on the bike. I like using tank panniers, but my 30" legs clear them fine. I also put light items in a small tank bag, and keep 2 HD tubes in a Moose Racing Dualsport front fenderpack that is zip-tied to my braced fender. Even with a loaded 24" duffel and saddlebags on, my DR still rides pretty decent.

Again, shop used if you have the time.

I live in Las Vegas and go to the Torrey, UT area twice a year. I bought the bike to do some off pavement riding. I also will do some gravel road/trail riding in the Vegas area along with the commute to work. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions,

Rick in NV
Welcome! Don't forget a decent skid and some real handguards, if your DR doesn't already have them. Also check out the DR650 wikia webpage for common fixes/mods, and the DR650 thread here on ADV.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 10:32 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Congrats. I have the WM racks/bags/etc and love em but for more budget minded....http://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=3

I had these too at one point and most bags - including the WM's - strap right to them. I only changed cuz I like to once in a while. The PM racks are plenty tough and tuck into the bodywork nicely.

Agree with Kmdo...bigger tank. Either the IMS or Acerbis will give you good service. I have the IMS but like the look of the Acerbis better. It wasn't out when I got my IMS. Speaking of used....I may even sell you my white IMS for reasonable $$ and get a new Acerbis if ya want. PM me if interested.

Don't go to Procycle's or Kientech Engineerings sites. Just don't.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Astronaut Jones OP
n00b

Thanks

Trophy Hunter and Kommando, thanks for your input. It is much appreciated. It has been hard for me to try and glean the specific info I'm looking for from the huge amount of stuff available on this and other sites.

My DR has a skid plate and hand guards from the previous owner. It has also had front and rear suspension upgrades. For now I will keep the bike mostly stock as it seems to suit my abilities and wants. I just am looking to get the bike ready for my twice yearly treks to UT, and exploring my new home state of NV.

Anyone else have input?

Rick in NV
Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
huguesfrederic
HF

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Welcome! Don't forget a decent skid and some real handguards, if your DR doesn't already have them. Also check out the DR650 wikia webpage for common fixes/mods, and the DR650 thread here on ADV.
Good advice. Kommando, how do you get 50mpg? Can you elaborate on your settings?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
Kommando was being the perennial gentleman is replying to your questions directly. Most of us (myself included) would normally direct you to the DR650 thread and advise you to search. OK, yes, it has over 82 thousand posts, but it is searchable and is arguably the best source of DR650 info. DR650riders.com is another great source.

Fuel tank - how long do you need to ride? IMS is a really nice compromise. If you have the cash the Safari tank is really nice for range, but it's heavy when filled.

Seat - anything over them OEM seat in an improvement. I have a Procycle / Saddlemen seat and it's a hard stiff improvement over stock. Not perfect.

Luggage - there is not clean answer here. It depends on how much weight you intend to carry, how long, in what environment, and how much security you feel you need. Again, search.

Ultimately it's about when YOU want to do with YOUR DR in what environment. The DR is extremely capable. Just strap it on.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguesfrederic View Post
Good advice. Kommando, how do you get 50mpg? Can you elaborate on your settings?
I consistently get 52 to 55 mpg on stock carb. Float bowl has to be set per manual.
Fuel consumption wise the bike is perfect.

I bought a rack, just to discover it sits a good 10 cm over the rear fender, while the lower the better. So I get a piece of plywood, cut it to a desired shape, and bolt it on straight to the rear frame. I have made 4000 kms on it, it still holds up, and since my camping equipment comes from my mountaineering, I do not need any additional side racks.
Well, a plywood rear rack is not the nicest one, but DR is already looks like a vintage crap anyway, besides it keeps the COG lower, and it is free.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguesfrederic View Post
Sure, but we should probably do that in the main DR650 thread, and there are others who do consistently better than 50MPG.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronaut Jones View Post
I just bought a 2002 DR650. Love it so far, but have a few questions.

1- Tires. Shinko E705 or Kenda 784?
Hmm...I would think the Shinko's. I have the 244's and they are remarkably good on pavement and decent off.

2- Seat. My rear hurts after an hour. Fleece or Air Hawk or?
Sargent seat here. I also had a Corbin. Both are excellent, Sargent slightly softer. If you are a small guy don't go for the corbin

3-Fuel. Roto Pax or larger tank or?
Larger tank is much more common. Rotopax would make more sense for a bike without a 3.4g tank or a smaller bike. If you are buying new, go with Acerbis.

4- Cargo. I was looking at the Dirt Bagz. Opinions or other relatively inexpensive options?

I live in Las Vegas and go to the Torrey, UT area twice a year. I bought the bike to do some off pavement riding. I also will do some gravel road/trail riding in the Vegas area along with the commute to work. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions,

I have dirtbagz that came on my bike. They are easy to use and actually hold quite a bit. I also have a rack with a Givi rear bag I can use if needed.

Rick in NV
Welcome to the site! Drriders.com is also a great forum. I also did a 14T front sprocket mod which makes the bike better off road and in town and reasonable up to 70mph.
VFR800 VTEC
Daytona 675
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Astronaut Jones OP
n00b

Update

Added an update to original post. (and somehow wiped out the op)
Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
have you read the index
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

and the big dr thread?
all your answers are in there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
I consistently get 52 to 55 mpg on stock carb. Float bowl has to be set per manual.
Fuel consumption wise the bike is perfect.

I bought a rack, just to discover it sits a good 10 cm over the rear fender, while the lower the better. So I get a piece of plywood, cut it to a desired shape, and bolt it on straight to the rear frame. I have made 4000 kms on it, it still holds up, and since my camping equipment comes from my mountaineering, I do not need any additional side racks.
Well, a plywood rear rack is not the nicest one, but DR is already looks like a vintage crap anyway, besides it keeps the COG lower, and it is free.
From what I've read, the folks that leave the carb stock all get 50+ mpg. When they start messing with it or swap for "better performance", the mileage goes in the crapper.

On another note, please post up a pic of that plywood bolted to the rear frame. We like homemade!
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote