Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #3091
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
Ken,
You've got us all curious! I am still tinkering with the mixture adjustment screw on mine, as I get some rough idle and a surging under low throttle. I've taken the mixture screw down to maybe 1.75 turns out, and it still seems to be running a bit rich. How have you adjusted the mixture with that larger pilot jet? And, have you needed to shim the needle jet as well?
Sounds like you went the wrong way with the mixture screw.

Try 2.75 turns out, and go farther out (counterclockwise) if it's still surging.

Turning the screw out = richer, in = leaner.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3092
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post

I will also go down to at least the stock 127.5 main jet and maybe even a 125, to compensate for the larger Pilot/the additional fuel.

Ken
It might be worth some effort to try and get a good jetting setup with the snorkel taken off the airbox. You'll probably need to shim the needle in the carb with some washers, but the little playing I did showed some promise as far as mid-range power.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #3093
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
Sounds like you went the wrong way with the mixture screw.

Try 2.75 turns out, and go farther out (counterclockwise) if it's still surging.

Turning the screw out = richer, in = leaner.
Hmmm. Had an engine guru tell me it sounded rich to him. Was also getting some afterfire, and that seems to have stopped by going leaner. His instruction was to drop idle speed to bare minimum, turn in and listen for idle to increase; keep going and it will decrease again at which point you come back out a bit - hunt for that middle point. Like I say, it seemed to help with the afterfire, but I haven't found the perfect tool to make that adjustment... and the surging seems about the same.
ChicoProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #3094
taehome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Sprockets

Well I'm due for a chain and some sprockets. I've been happy with the stock gearing so I plan in ordering those sizes. The thing is though, I'm planning a trip that will be all pavement with plenty of time spent on the highways.

So my questions are.

Has anyone geared up to a 15 in the front? If so, how was the change? Did it drop the rpms at 60ish much and was the low end compromised much?

If going up one tooth, would this require a longer chain? I would most likely size for the bigger sprocket but I'm unsure if I'd need to order a chain longer for this.

Lastly. Any suggestions as to where to order these parts?

Thanks,
Taehome
taehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #3095
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by taehome View Post
Well I'm due for a chain and some sprockets. I've been happy with the stock gearing so I plan in ordering those sizes. The thing is though, I'm planning a trip that will be all pavement with plenty of time spent on the highways.

So my questions are.

Has anyone geared up to a 15 in the front? If so, how was the change? Did it drop the rpms at 60ish much and was the low end compromised much?

If going up one tooth, would this require a longer chain? I would most likely size for the bigger sprocket but I'm unsure if I'd need to order a chain longer for this.

Lastly. Any suggestions as to where to order these parts?

Thanks,
Taehome
Lots of people talked about that on the yahoo group site. For example, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12178. In the files section of that group, there is info about where to order... But I didn't see anything current. Short answer: people have done it, the stock length chain should be fine, you'll need to use the adjuster on the rear wheel.
ChicoProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #3096
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 656
I was bending some more polycarbonate at lunch again, this time made some wind/rain guards.

not sure if I will leave them clear or not, if I ever turn loose of the cash and buy a can of the correct green I mite paint some stuff.

1stgenfarmboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #3097
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
RX any more testing ? I got my jets in today so I was going to give it a try . Was going to put one in tonight but got tied up with the inlaws.

Oh to the poster above me , great work . How the the air affect it off of trucks and the like ?
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #3098
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

I did notice a tiny bit more wind on the way home, but I will take it over the direct cold winter chill on my hands.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #3099
tiger seven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Those look really nice, 1stgenfarmboy. Great work! I had a KLR650 for a while and the one thing I really liked about was those giant plastic handguards that blocked the wind. Made cold weather riding almost enjoyable.

Derek
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #3100
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
I was bending some more polycarbonate at lunch again, this time made some wind/rain guards.

not sure if I will leave them clear or not, if I ever turn loose of the cash and buy a can of the correct green I mite paint some stuff.

What hand guards are those (other than obviously acerbis) and do they go right on without any clearance issues - I really like the look of them.
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #3101
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

they were on the bike when I got it, but looks like the were a direct bolt on, I will look tomorrow and see if I can see any numbers.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #3102
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
they were on the bike when I got it, but looks like the were a direct bolt on, I will look tomorrow and see if I can see any numbers.
I think that lexan is sweet, I wouldn't paint them until they got so scratched up they would look better painted.

I don't know if you've seen my hand guards I made but I painted them green. They are made out of blue plastic barrels.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #3103
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Where are you getting the jets for that price? I did the Dr. Jeckyl fix but that may be my problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #3104
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post
I was wondering if anybody has attached ammo cans to their super sherpa for use as saddle bags/storage containers?

My husband said he was going to do this as a joke. However I think it is really cool! I love the look and feel of the Super Sherpa and I want to keep the rugged appeal. I just think ammo cans would make it look more bad ass! The only thing is I am worried it would restrict me with room and weight on camping...

Any thoughts are welcomed! Thanx!
They have plastic ammo cans at Army Surplus "lighter weight".
Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #3105
old-n-slow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Here's a bunch.

http://www.colemans.com/ammocan.htm

09 Super Sherpa
09 KLR650
old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote