ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #1621
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rayzor61's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Yardley, PA
Oddometer: 226
Front end weave wobble

Its been a few weeks since my last visit to this forum mainly due to lack of time and may question has since been buried among the othe threads..

....so here it comes again; has anyone figured out why the front end wiggles and get shaky at about 70-75 mph. I have the K60 Scouts and they should be fairy worn in at 900 miles. I don't know how many times I can balance the front wheel. The steering colum feels tight.

The only thing I can think of is the axcel not being set in the fork leg properly or my suspension set-up which remains stock for my light weight of 175 dripping wet.

I love the freaking bike but just wish it didn't go all crazy at high speed. One of these days, I'm gonna have a tank slapper and be looking at a replacemnt bike because it gets totaled.....

I'm not going back to the Strada stock tires, they are in no way, dirt worthy.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm all ears!
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #1622
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 468
Wicked Weave

Well...it's been talked about quite a lot. Some say they haven't experienced any weave/wobble. Mine is hit and miss. I have no idea why. I have looked to Voodo for help. It's not my grip on the bars being too tight. The air pressure seems to have little effect. I "think" it has much to do with what's hanging on the bars...like my GPS, hand guards..L.E.D.lights..& so on.

It also does a lot better when it's all alone on a open highway. Other vehicles cause the TR to dance around sometimes. I've learned to ride on through the weave point...which for mine is 70-75..closer to 80 it seems to settle down again.

It's been good for awhile now...but next time out she might shake the ground. I do believe there is a reason that someone will stumble upon...idk. It may just be a mixture of a bunch of things.

I regeared mine .(15 tooth countershaft) to help me keep the speed down. So far....it has not worked
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #1623
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Banjoland
Oddometer: 1,895
I was all smug with my non wobbling terra for 4000 mi. Quick as I changed to the TKC80 front tire, I get the 75 mph wobble.
Tried all the aforementioned remedies , air pressure, extra careful tire balancing, back to back runs with windscreen, no windscreen......
I'm about 200 lbs. Going on a camping trip with it this weekend, I think I'm going to crank the preload up some more and see if I can get more wt. on the front end.

Has anyone tried it without the front fender on? I may give that a try as well, although if that proves to be the cause I'm not sure what I'll do for a permanent fix. Are Preston Petty fenders still available?
Did that give away my age?
__________________
Sandy Jackson
04 250 RFS

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #1624
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 468
Weave

My Strada came with the low fender. I purchased the terra fender but so far it's just sitting in the box it came in. I'm afraid the TR would take flight for sure with a high fender acting as a sail
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1625
amk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
I was all smug with my non wobbling terra for 4000 mi. Quick as I changed to the TKC80 front tire, I get the 75 mph wobble.
Tried all the aforementioned remedies , air pressure, extra careful tire balancing, back to back runs with windscreen, no windscreen......
I'm about 200 lbs. Going on a camping trip with it this weekend, I think I'm going to crank the preload up some more and see if I can get more wt. on the front end.

Has anyone tried it without the front fender on? I may give that a try as well, although if that proves to be the cause I'm not sure what I'll do for a permanent fix. Are Preston Petty fenders still available?
Did that give away my age?
I have not even ridden Strada/Terra, but the general theory says something is wrong with the weight distribution. Too much weight is on the rear. I would crank up the shock preload a bit, if there is any, and drop the fork in the triple tree for half an inch or so.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #1626
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
I have not even ridden Strada/Terra, but the general theory says something is wrong with the weight distribution. Too much weight is on the rear. I would crank up the shock preload a bit, if there is any, and drop the fork in the triple tree for half an inch or so.
Although there can be many factors that affect a high speed weave ... the technique above is what I've used with success on a few dual sport bikes.

Just slight geometry changes can affect or eliminate a high speed weave.
Tires are always a factor too ... some being more likely to weave than others.

Good luck guys, hope a magic bullet can be found to settle things down!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #1627
Bluegopher
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 8
Question No weave

I've read so many posts on this site and the other about the weave. I commute on my Terra almost every day down and up a mountain pass and a few miles on a crazy section of high speed highway (sometimes 85 mph to maintain flow with traffic). I have close to 4000 miles on the bike, stock Saharah's and have never experienced weave or head shake. I have experienced some significant blasts that have thrown me almost sideways from high speed highway turbulence but that's it. It seems these bikes exhibit some significantly different characteristics based on what, I don't know.
Bluegopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #1628
huskyKT
Adventurer
 
huskyKT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Jackson, MO
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Well...it's been talked about quite a lot. Some say they haven't experienced any weave/wobble. Mine is hit and miss. I have no idea why. I have looked to Voodo for help. It's not my grip on the bars being too tight. The air pressure seems to have little effect. I "think" it has much to do with what's hanging on the bars...like my GPS, hand guards..L.E.D.lights..& so on.

It also does a lot better when it's all alone on a open highway. Other vehicles cause the TR to dance around sometimes. I've learned to ride on through the weave point...which for mine is 70-75..closer to 80 it seems to settle down again.

It's been good for awhile now...but next time out she might shake the ground. I do believe there is a reason that someone will stumble upon...idk. It may just be a mixture of a bunch of things.

I regeared mine .(15 tooth countershaft) to help me keep the speed down. So far....it has not worked
Have you tightened up the triple tree nut?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
HuskyKT

If it ain't dirty you ain't riding enough!
Husky TR 650 for the dirt
Suzuki GV1200 Madura for the road
huskyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #1629
huskyKT
Adventurer
 
huskyKT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Jackson, MO
Oddometer: 93
Has anyone found the catalytic converter? I would like to remove it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
HuskyKT

If it ain't dirty you ain't riding enough!
Husky TR 650 for the dirt
Suzuki GV1200 Madura for the road
huskyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #1630
jack splash
Two Sheds
 
jack splash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pt Pleasant, NJ USA
Oddometer: 2,294
2014 tr650

Hey: I picked up a new 2014 TR650 last week and set it up for the woods.
Took a 150 mile Shakedown ride thru the Pine Barrens yesterday, like it.
It's going to replace my X Challenge if it's worthy.











Altrider Crash Bars and Skid Plate
Michelin Desert Tires
Acerbis Hand Guards
PowerMadd Riser
Magura Handle Bars
Wolfman Bags
Touratech Brake Guards
Ram Mounts for GPS, Spot Tracker and Folding Mirrors
Custom Wind screen.

Jack
__________________
Stay dirty my friends!
Bigfoot has a picture of me!

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #1631
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post
Hey: I picked up a new 2014 TR650 last week and set it up for the woods.
Took a 150 mile Shakedown ride thru the Pine Barrens yesterday, like it.
It's going to replace my X Challenge if it's worthy.





Altrider Crash Bars and Skid Plate
Michelin Desert Tires
Acerbis Hand Guards
PowerMadd Riser
Magura Handle Bars
Wolfman Bags
Touratech Brake Guards
Ram Mounts for GPS, Spot Tracker and Folding Mirrors
Custom Wind screen.

Jack
Looks good.

What is that blue thing on your tank bag? An ipod/ipad?
Wont that bungee destroy the screen?
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #1632
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK
 
DESERT SCORPION's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SINGLE TRACK IN THE WOODS
Oddometer: 123
Farkles

I would put a nice rear sprocket chain guide on that rascal.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #1633
farp
DualsportBC Rider
 
farp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 65
Changing the spark plug.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the spark plug? My problem is I don't know how to remove the plastic fittings that are fastened to the flange above the plug. I don't want to apply brute force and try to pry them off in case I break something and I can't find any info anywhere on how to do this.

John
__________________
A motorcycle will go anywhere the rider has the ability to take it
-----------------------------------------------------
2014 Yamaha XT250; 2013 Honda CB500X
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #1634
chris1261
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyKT View Post
Has anyone found the catalytic converter? I would like to remove it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
They're in the front of the mufflers.

chris1261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #1635
Pacificus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Peterborough, Cambs., England
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyKT View Post
Has anyone found the catalytic converter? I would like to remove it.

Why? Don't they help reduce toxic emissions, known for causing childhood asthma and cancer?
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014