Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #8101
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
I think my friend would need the help of a suspension shop to reach the goal of 27".
you should seek out a 2009 (easy to tell because they are yellow). They are the lowest.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #8102
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Thank you for the great info, Matt and Dorito.
After reading up some more on lowering the Xcountry I think my friend would need the help of a suspension shop to reach the goal of 27".
Agree that there is more then seat height to be able to ride a bike.
@Matt : located in the most south western corner of Oregon, on Redwood Hwy 199, 10 minutes away from California. Best riding anywhere for a dualsport.
Check out Wilbers suspension, they do lots of lowering kits for the front:

Here's the stuff for the X-Co

G 650 X Country E 65 X 07> 600-0325-01 99,- 500-0325-01 79,- 10 (2 L) 120
G 650 X Country E 65 X 07> 600-0325-02 99,- 500-0325-02 79,- 10 (2 L) 120 Lowering 50 mm / Send fork for reconstruction

G 650 X Country E 65 X 07> 600-0326-01 99,- 500-0326-01 79,- 10 (2 L) 110 Lowering 75 mm / Send fork for reconstruction

G 650 X Country E 65 X 09> 600-0325-12 99,- 500-0325-12 79,- 10 (2 L) 110
G 650 X Country E 65 X 09> 600-0326-05 99,- 500-0326-05 79,- 10 (2 L) 80 For lowering 40 mm/Send fork for reconstruction

Plus their rear shox are tailor made to suit the rider's weight, use, etc. as well as whatever height you want.

Regs

Simon
Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #8103
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,111
Thumb Scheffelmeier Bits

Tonight, I received a very special package from Scheffelmeier in Germany.

The pictures don't do his work any justice. They really don't belong on a bike, but as Beauty is when form meets function. Folks, beauty it is...

The front sprocket cover/case saver:

You can see the reinforced nose to protect against a snapped chain breaking your engine..

I am almost sorry it's black anodized...the machine marks are a thing of beauty..

Installed:

But the real reason for the shipment was the bashplate

It has the rally tool box

Haven't filled it yet, but here's a interior shot with a standard 6" ratchet extension in it

For the love of a nice welding job..

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #8104
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Shock spring dimension

Hopefully this shock can be disassembled:

By looking yesterday at this previous post I was thinking of I might give it the shot and have a decent shop change my sach spring to a stiffer.
I know here a manufacturer EMC who sales shocks and they might do the job if they know the dimensions of the spring of our G650 xcountry. Do you guys know the lenth of this spring? Talking about a 07 model.
EMC: http://www.emc-suspensions.fr/amorti...007_3_1221.htm
Also do you know what size for the progressif hyperpro?
I have a link here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyperpro-...-/151079657869
Thanks

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011

lewiss66 screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 02:44 AM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #8105
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

First sleepover

Had my first weekend trip with the XCountry. Went up to Victoria's high country for a rally. Made up same racks for the throwover panniers and it all worked well. Bought an airhawk off the flea market, so the seat was fine. Bike handled the load quite well, the front was a little lighter, but nothing dramatic.All in all a success, the 800 is not happy, but I will take him camping next time!.
Tangil Bren near Mt Baw Baw

Freestone Creek Rd near Dargo

Talbotville rally site

And my sprocket cover and bash plate turned up from Scheffelmeier Metal today. Great stuff!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #8106
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66 View Post
Hopefully this shock can be disassembled:

By looking yesterday at this previous post I was thinking of I might give it the shot and have a decent shop change my sach spring to a stiffer.
I know here a manufacturer EMC who sales shocks and they might do the job if they know the dimensions of the spring of our G650 xcountry. Do you guys know the lenth of this spring? Talking about a 07 model.
EMC: http://www.emc-suspensions.fr/amorti...007_3_1221.htm
Also do you know what size for the progressif hyperpro?
I have a link here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyperpro-...-/151079657869
Thanks
You might ask about a spring diameter, length and spring rate by asking John at Moto-Pro.com. Also leafman.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #8107
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Matt,
I'll check with them.
Why do I blame on the spring?
I took my XCo for a two days ride in the Alpes carrying luggages and had difficulties following a mate on the trails. He was riding an F650GS Dakar also well loaded but He seems to be hadling more easily his bike. At first I thought mine was too loaded at the rear ( I'd admit my camping stuff was not the lightest things I could get) but then realized my stuff weight no more than 65 pounds on the rear side of the bike. The troublemaker? Of course as all has said It is the spring which I cranked all the way the preload but not enough.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #8108
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66 View Post
Thanks Matt,
I'll check with them.
Why do I blame on the spring?
I took my XCo for a two days ride in the Alpes carrying luggages and had difficulties following a mate on the trails. He was riding an F650GS Dakar also well loaded but He seems to be hadling more easily his bike. At first I thought mine was too loaded at the rear ( I'd admit my camping stuff was not the lightest things I could get) but then realized my stuff weight no more than 65 pounds on the rear side of the bike. The troublemaker? Of course as all has said It is the spring which I cranked all the way the preload but not enough.
As I'm sure you already know, trying to get the preload circuit to compensate for too soft a shock spring will eventually blow out the preload on the Sachs. You did not mention whether you were bottoming the shock however, if you were then be careful as you may damage something else like your swingarm, plus it is just not fun to have to slow down over every little bump when a proper shock would simply soak it up.

Now that my Yacugar shock (with progressive spring like a Hyperpro) has a decent spring rate, it takes a LOT to bottom my shock, I've even caught a little air over small jumps a couple of times with luggage "for testing purposes only" :) and it didn't bottom, but my baggage for camping trips weighs only 40 pounds. It only bottomed going about 40-50 mph and hitting a very sharp edged bump. I am SOOOO happy now.

One more thing is that I've complained how poor the stock Sachs shock is, but a lot of that was frustration from breaking my swingarm (with the Wilbers on at the time, but I think it was pre-stressed by the Sachs bottoming). However, over the last couple of years, several shock "experts" have stated that actually it is a pretty decent shock inside, so really I think a cheap 80% solution at a much lower price is just to get a proper spring rate installed on the Sachs. Others like Leafman have a lot of input as to a suggested spring rate, every shock is different and I have not played with the Sachs.

p.s. If you are planning a trip to Colorado soon and it includes the Front Range foothills or plains (especially Boulder to Ft. Collins in the mountains or downstream)... you should check on road conditions first. We have over a hundred roads washed out from our INSANE flooding last week, and many bridges, and some will probably take a year to rebuild. In most canyons there are miles and miles of road completely gone. Myself I am high and dry but others are not so lucky. Areas west of the Continental Divide were not impacted to any extreme degree, it was an upslope on the east side mainly.

snooker screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:58 PM
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #8109
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Well thanks again for the advice Matt.
Buying a new shock will be the best as you said. Yacugar shock or hyperpro or EMC here will be the solution. But I've spent to much euros this past months on the Xco: aux tank, parts, tyres... ( and a trial bike). At this time my pocket has only loose change so I'll check for the spring. I guess the hard part after getting the good dimension of the spring is to get a hand on a good expert working on the sach. Not easy to find

Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #8110
Jim Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Suspension for my XCo

Guys, what's the view of Wilbers v Yacugar for my XCountry. I have a similar quotation from both suppliers. Wilbers are more common here in UK but Yacugar tell me they sell well in the US Adventure bike market. In both cases the shock will be made to lower the seat by 40mm. I have Yacugar on my R1200GS and very pleased with it. Thoughts please!
Jim Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #8111
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
My first Wilbers in 06 (R1200GS), I was very happy with. My last Wilbers (HP2) bought early 2012 is a POS in comparison. Not smooth or progressive acting at all. It will go back to the distributor when I have time for a complete teardown. This should not be needed at 1000 miles.

I bought two Yacugar from same distributor, one for my X-Ch and a custom one for wife's X-Co. I don't have many miles on them but the difference is WOW! Smooth, progressive dampening just like my original Wilbers. BTW, I'm way more dirt oriented in my riding so I'm looking for a dirt bike suspension vs. a street tuned setup. And I'm not afraid to adjust the settings.

Naturally, YMMV

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #8112
Jim Lad
Adventurer

Wilbers v Yacugar

Thanks for the comments MJS. I'm really not sure which ones to go with. I've only heard good things about Wilbers and know a number of guys very happy with them on R1200GS. Yacugar do not have a big name in the adventure market in UK but I have to say I like them on the 1200. Your experience with Yacugar has made me thing they may be the right tool for my XCo too. I plan to take the bike on a long trip next year where off-road will be required.

Am on holiday at the moment, on 2 wheels, but with pedals this time, so I have time to reflect a bit more.

Any further comments welcome.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #8113
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

My short answer is I tried the piggyback rez hi end Wilbers for almost 3 years and put 2 more stiffer springs on it and it still bottomed out WAY too easily - I've posted a lot on this or check my web page (link in my sig). And yeah I snapped my swingarm on both sides while the Wilbers was on it (google: g650 swingarm), but like I said it was not totally the Wilbers fault since the OEM shock bottomed first, but still...

Ted Porter at Beemershop.com who sold me my custom ordered Wilbers switched me to a Yacugar with a progressive spring and it has been awesome. I don't know if the Wilbers was just defective in its damping circuit but we had a super stiff spring to where the sag numbers were more than fine and it still bottomed.

For me personally I would get a Yacugar (new-ish name brand) or HyperPro, both made of the same parts. Check your measurements carefully to decide what you want for shock mounting length, and stroke. Google for my previous posts on this.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #8114
Jim Lad
Adventurer

Wilbers v Yacugar

Snooker, thanks for that information and those thoughts. It does tend to swing me back to Yacugar. I'll give them another call and see what they can do for me when I get back from vacation.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #8115
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Lowering shock with internal shim or external ring

Greetings from Brazil! After 3 years waiting for a good condition used bike, I just got a 2009 with only 2.500 miles! I am 5'3" and Ive raised the front forks about 1", but Id still like to lower a bit more doing a shock mod. A mechanic specialized in offroad bikes said the safest solution is to put an internal shim in the shock. I see Wilbers sells a ring which I believe is used externally to limit the shock travel and lowers the 2009 shock in 3 cm, which is exactly what I need.

Has anyone done this internal mod or used the Wilbers ring?

The only issue with the bike is the neutral light, it stays always on. The battery has been replaced recently, so could this be the cause? A hope a simple scan and module reset will solve - or what else could it be?

Next weekend I will put it to test offroad - the main reason I wanted this bike is to have a lighter ride for offroad adventures (I also have a F650GS twin). Pictures to follow!
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote