Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #38041
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,109
FWIW..stock bars appear to made of fudge and bend at the slightest little fall.

YMMV.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #38042
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvNener View Post
Thanks for the answer, it looks like i will spend the 250$+french VAT+shipping cost for the oem pump with part number 3D7 13907 1000. I've seen the ca cycleworks cheaper alternative but prefer to keep it simple to change.

I mispelled it, it's doner kebab, wikipedia description seems accurate:

very hygienic and dietetic meal as you can guess .
Did your failure just happen one time?

I'd be a little hesitant to grab a new pump after just one incident of the bike not starting. It sounds like you were low on gas, and riding in a hot environment in stop and go traffic. Remember fuel covering the pump keeps it cooler so maybe it just got too hot there?

FYI, I had an issue where I had just come off a long highway run 70+ miles at 65+ mph for an extended time frame. We came to a light and my bike suddenly died and wouldn't restart. I pushed it to the side and then it started a few mins later?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #38043
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
If I had an '08 with the original fuel pump I would preemptively change it.

The $250 is not worth getting stranded.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #38044
AdvNener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks again for all your advices. I quickly pulled the trigger on an oem pump because i only use the bike for commuting once in a week but really need it to be reliable when i have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
You might try pulling the pump and cleaning all its contact points with an electrical contact spray. Then take the electrical plug connector and clean it as well. Then seal it with electrical grease.

I did that and have not had another problem, although I bought a spare just in case.
I will have a look at the contacts, but i never ride in the mud and very rarely under rain. The major weather issue here is the wind, so i don't expect to find much dirt on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I read somewhere that Yamaha was covering the pump for affected 2008 VINs.

Could be just a forum rumor, but worth checking.
I think yamaha dealer here sell very few wr250r/wr250x. But you're right I should try to write to yamaha france and see if they can do something for me! Problem is my VIN number shows a bunch of 0000 at the place for year of manufacturing (on the registration papers but also on the bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Did your failure just happen one time?

I'd be a little hesitant to grab a new pump after just one incident of the bike not starting. It sounds like you were low on gas, and riding in a hot environment in stop and go traffic. Remember fuel covering the pump keeps it cooler so maybe it just got too hot there?

FYI, I had an issue where I had just come off a long highway run 70+ miles at 65+ mph for an extended time frame. We came to a light and my bike suddenly died and wouldn't restart. I pushed it to the side and then it started a few mins later?
I was not SO low on gas (no fuel light warning yet). And anyway due to the small tank i usually add fuel with about 1L left, and want to be able to do that reliably. I have read that yamaha fixed something on the pump, hence the new part number.
I got the issue really near from home, so i didn't worry at all (at worse i could have pushed it home) but 1h earlyer i was pushing the bike hard on lost twisty "mountain" roads and really don't want to stay stucked there.

By the way now i remember that lately the bike was not always starting at first try. Turn the key, push start for 5sec, it tries but doesn't start. Release start button, try again and bike starts in 2sec.
Maybe it's going to get worse, and i have to face heavy traffic every time i leave/get back home. I know winter is coming, but still...

I should have the new pump for this WE. Even if not, i will empty the tank (and measure how much fuel i have) and check the connectors. I think the problem with the pump is "inside" the pump so i can't visually look for it.

An alternative: let the "old" pump mounted, and go ride for 1h in the traffic around home to check if it happens again.
AdvNener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #38045
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
If I had an '08 with the original fuel pump I would preemptively change it.

The $250 is not worth getting stranded.
I did exactly that and the replacement pump failed in a few thousand miles. Put the original pump back in and it is working fine.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #38046
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Replacement Blinkers+Running Lights?

Any suggestions on these? The stock blinkers are atrocious and the replacements I find on eBay are all 2-wire (no running lights, blinker only). I'd like to keep all the OEM functionality in a smaller, better looking form factor.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #38047
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Any suggestions on these? The stock blinkers are atrocious and the replacements I find on eBay are all 2-wire (no running lights, blinker only). I'd like to keep all the OEM functionality in a smaller, better looking form factor.
Im not sure there are many aftermarket 3 wire options, but a closed relay (one where switching opens the circuit, as opposed to the more typical switched closed) on each side should do the job with a two wire signal.

Alternatively, many (most?) motorcycles have three wires for the front signals. You might be able to find one you like from another brand.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #38048
Caucasian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Did you check these out
http://www.soloracer.com/wr250xparts.html

I've purchased a few things from this source and have been pleased with the vendor.
Caucasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #38049
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Hey, if you're into looks - Why not be the first on your block to have Quad front lights. Two LED units on EACH SIDE - one for TS and one for running. The running set would be even brighter than stock.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #38050
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 1,083
Anyone tried a Nomad tank on their WRR?

I'm looking to increase my range, 100 miles is fine when i'm on local trails, but for longer trips and commuting more fuel would be good.

I'm considering the Safari tank, but I'm also wondering if anyone has tried a Nomad Tank.

According to the owner tanks 3, 5 and 7 will fit the WRR.

Cost isn't an issue, I like the idea of being able to remove the extra fuel capacity for short rides and add it again for longer rides, but how practicable are the nomad tanks?

And would it annoy me taking up rack space on longer trips?

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #38051
rvsixer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
And would it annoy me taking up rack space on longer trips?
True that.

The solution I am using:
Tank(s): http://rotopax.com/
Rack (which comes predrilled to accept Rotopax tank mounts): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Wr250...4ef0c3&vxp=mtr

This combination allows carrying anywhere from zero to 1-3 extra gallons of fuel (or water or storage or combination thereof), AND not losing appreciable rack space. Conversion takes seconds. Assuming you can swing your leg over the lot .

rvsixer screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 08:20 PM
rvsixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #38052
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
I'm looking to increase my range, 100 miles is fine when i'm on local trails, but for longer trips and commuting more fuel would be good...
Cost isn't an issue..
If cost isn't an issue, just get the Safari. You'll not notice the extra weight (if any) when riding trails, it adds protection to the radiator, and 3.7 gals is the sweet spot as far I'm concerned. And you'll still have rear luggage space.

I really like my Safari tank.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #38053
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

I thought about the rotopax, but that needs removing and pouring into the tank, whereas the advantage of the Nomad is it feeds into the fuel line... I know their marketing doesn't mention that for some reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
True that.

The solution I am using:
Tank(s): http://rotopax.com/
Rack (which comes predrilled to accept Rotopax tank mounts): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Wr250...4ef0c3&vxp=mtr

This combination allows carrying anywhere from zero to 1-3 extra gallons of fuel (or water or storage or combination thereof), AND not losing appreciable rack space. Conversion takes seconds. Assuming you can swing your leg over the lot .

Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #38054
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I really like my Safari tank.
I've yet to hear anyone speak against it.

Interestingly, the owner of the company has a WRR ... and loves it

Old 09-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #38055
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I've never found pouring the rotopax into the tank to be a real issue. It's not like I the bike runs out of fuel before I need a break. The rotopax does, however, allow you to choose the size tank you want to carry, allow you to share that precious fuel with others that may also need it, still let you store stuff on top of the can, and costs about half of the Nomad. That said, my personal sweet spot has been the ims 3 gal, with the 1 or 2 gal rotopax when needed. I think it ended up being cheaper to buy the 3gal ims tank and 1 gal rotopax than just the larger ims or safari tank. All the benefits, minimal drawbacks.

Also, check the vendors section, I believe forum members get 15% off the rotopax site.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote