Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #8806
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
go for a ride in deep sand, or whatever terrain you are worst at.

drop the bike while moving slowly.

trap your lower leg beneath a positionon the bike that would have the large, aluminum bags installed.

imagine lying on the trail, with a compound fracture of your lower leg.

buy soft bags.
Dropped the bike several times with the hard panniers in soft sand and hard packed - many hours and miles from the next person. No compound fractures, only a little skin off on one occasion and that was from coming over the bike. In fact on more than one occasion they have prevented the bike from landing on my ankle as the box did not collapse and supported the bike. I wear good boots and padded pants.

I installed an internal key locking system so have left the panniers on for 4 trips into MX and all of the NA and Canada. Others have had things stolen. I have not had anything taken yet. Powder coated, water proof, dust proof, lined with stick-on carpet so nothing gets marked. Can load on top, and in the front of them too. Hard to beat that!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:03 PM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #8807
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
how do you lock a Natty-Lite box???
Why would you have to?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #8808
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
BOXES!!! Mine are lockable.

What are the dimensions of yer boxes?
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #8809
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate gonzo View Post
I have an 08 KLR with 40,000 miles on it. There is nothing wrong with it. I am just looking to upgrade but I am wondering if it is even worth selling or just hanging on to.

Will people look at a KLR with 40,000 miles?

I could strip all the extras and sell them separately or would it be better selling with it on?

Maybe I'll just keep riding it.

I'm confused.
Keep riding it. Go over the suspension if you haven't already done it, 40k she's still a baby. There aren't many bikes out there you can replace it with that are as versatile, comfortable, tough, reliable and handle as well as a KLR. Best of all you already own it, no payments!
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #8810
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke.klr07 View Post
Yeah, I have fixed and upgraded plenty. Next Thursday I am leaving for 1800 miles worth (1600 dirt). If I have a problem, I will most likely be able to fix it in the field and find a kawi dealer within 100 miles if it is really bad. No chips or electronics. Besides that they are kind of ugly.
Hi guys sorry to have hit a nerve, truce?
I do agree hayduke, I do not want a bike with fuel injection, and all the electronics crap. Love the carbs and simplicity. I would also say you probably shouldnt own a KTM if you dont want to work on them. i have a 950 adv (05 carbed) and a 08 530exc. had to pull both apart and get rid of all the pollution crap (as i would with any bike) and screw with some jetting etc. it is a bit scary to think about traveling solo on either one for a long distance as the possible issues might be beyond my abilities. The 950 is destined now to need a fuel pump and a water pump as those are known issues and miles are getting into that 'zone'. and you have to pull the tanks off to get to anything (and the crash bars, skid plate etc). i do love the bike however; an overgrown dirt bike with a 100HP is just too much fun- but would be concerned about being in Wyoming in the middle of nowhere unless I had a mechanic with me. Nor would I take a Husky, Aprilia, Ducati, or any of the others including BMW as I couldnt pay for or find the parts let alone do repairs. The 530 to be honest has been rock solid since i bought it and really does have a good power to weight ratio- its been trouble free. You know most people are not honest when they spent a bunch of money; only met one guy with a Land Rover and one with a Porsche who were realistic about the amount of repairs required and helped steer me away with my small piggybank so as not get in a position where its either the car repair or the mortgage payment (lets not make it a car thread or flame war, just sayin).

Having said all that; I rode a KLR and I really liked it; the seat is nice and wide and you could probably ride the thing without changing it (unlike any KTM I have ever owned), the bars are placed pretty high and the overall ergos are great. I really wanted one for the bullet- proofness of the engine and figured I would of course, never leave the bike alone regarding the suspension, brakes etc just because I like to screw with shit to make it better . I was looking for a solid foundation to build more of a long distance bike that can do some mild offroad (two track mainly). I just got bummed when I was reading all the posts about problems. As someone else probably rightly stated, what percentage is that of the overall number of KLRs out there-probably low. Also stated, great bike to run to the store with; are you really worried about someone swiping it?

And having said all that, I would still like to see the offspring if a KLR and KX450 got locked in a barn together one night

So, still a fan and there may still be one in my future; apologies and ride on brothers and may I offer the international ADV sign of peace

5 speed screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 02:00 PM
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #8811
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,711
I have over 40K on my '09...

...and I'm still making payments.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #8812
Vermillionx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I wanted to stop in and say hi. I just bought my first KLR last Friday. It is an 08 with just under 4k on the clock. Here is a pic of her on the way home.

Now onto the adventure I got myself in. I was out running around down by the river that flows near the town that I live in. I have heard of a sort of off road park that I can get back into. I ended up finding it and had a good time all the way up until I got stuck.

It ended up with a friend coming out to help me winch it out. There was no way that I was going to do that by myself.

As for now I have the Happy-Trail nerf bars and skid plates coming on Friday. I can't wait to get them on so I am not scared of taking it off road anymore.
Vermillionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #8813
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Now you did it and gone and got it dirty.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #8814
Longbow
Vroooom

Oddometer: 268
Oh man! guess you had to find out the hard way, now that the beast has tasted MUD, it will never be satisfied with anything less. Don't ride after a rain storm it will go straight for the mud holes. and whatever you do, Don't feed it after midnight!!

If you live in or around Billings, Montana
please send me a PM.
Longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #8815
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Hey guys I want to buy a 2nd gen KLR and debating newish or used...

My options are:
2012 2000 miles factory warranty dealer is selling for $4500
2008 4500 miles private seller for $4200
2008 8000 miles private seller for $3500

What do you guys think... The 2012 looks really sharp all blacked out
giogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #8816
Vermillionx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
Oh man! guess you had to find out the hard way, now that the beast has tasted MUD, it will never be satisfied with anything less. Don't ride after a rain storm it will go straight for the mud holes. and whatever you do, Don't feed it after midnight!!
You're right. I just hope I can put it in for some rehab so it can kick the mud habit.

It just sucks. The hole did not look nearly as deep as it was.
Vermillionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #8817
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by giogolf View Post
Hey guys I want to buy a 2nd gen KLR and debating newish or used...

My options are:
2012 2000 miles factory warranty dealer is selling for $4500
2008 4500 miles private seller for $4200
2008 8000 miles private seller for $3500

What do you guys think... The 2012 looks really sharp all blacked out
For only $300 more i would consider the 2012. But if these are pre negotiation prices you could walk in to the dealer and say your budget is $3700. Then if they counter pull a well i guess i could sell something and come up with another $200. Settle somewhere below 4k
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #8818
mikehailwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
viper770

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
well I I have good news they where issusing out passes for some of the people that lived in and around lyons and on 36 if you can get there and the owner of the house that was keeping my klr for me got one and he wanted me to go with him to make sure no one has looted hes house and I guess there has been some looting going on but his house was ok when we got up there we look at the side of 36 where the road was gone nothing but a small ditch and there was a small wash out that made it impassable by bike but we used some of the wood from some of the houses that washed down the river and made a little makeshift crossing and was able to ride the bike out of there and back down through lyons the road was gone in so many places its sad all this happened but out of all this I made two new freinds and the guy wanted to get a few more things out of his house including his playstaion I wonder how well that will go when he gets back to his wife who he was supposed to bring her some more clothes and I teased him about it all the way back to Longmont but in the prossess we used my klr as a pack mule and hualed out a lot of his stuff now he wants to get rid of hes I think it was a Yamaha v star and get a klr after seeing how usefull the klr is he just loved the bike I guess I heard there was a few others on dirt bikes that lost there bikes trying to do some thing similar a few days back but it sounded like they where taking big risks I waits a few days to play it safe unlike some people I consider my self very lucky im sorry about my grammer guys im just happy I got my girl back me and my girl are back togather I never knew how much I loved her till I could not be with her for the time I was separated from her
viper, glad to hear you made it out of there okay. By the way, that was the longest sentence ever........................
mikehailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #8819
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
For only $300 more i would consider the 2012. But if these are pre negotiation prices you could walk in to the dealer and say your budget is $3700. Then if they counter pull a well i guess i could sell something and come up with another $200. Settle somewhere below 4k
The last 2 are pre negotiated price but the one from the dealer is negotiated from $5000..
giogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #8820
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by giogolf View Post
The last 2 are pre negotiated price but the one from the dealer is negotiated from $5000..
well. I love my gen 1. Paid $1600. I'm a bit of a cheapo. But you need a bike that turns ya on, so just go fondle them and see what one you like the best.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote