Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #2686
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
From Helder's FB

Interesting how the current crop of bikes are getting more and more minimalist - I love the size of the new navigation tower/headlight set-up - everything is there, but it's barely bigger than a regular enduro bike?

I guess the only downside is that the long distance/higher speed (liaison) weather protection is not really there anymore, but I guess these super-humans don't need it so much anymore? (or at least they get a nice massage, a warm motorhome and a can of Red Bull at the end of a hard day).

I always thought the Meca' System kit on the Honda CRF pointed the way the 450cc class was going:

Small fairing, slim ergos, easy engine access (for work and cooling) and a large sub-frame style rear tank... Seems HRC have bought into that idea too?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #2687
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Small fairing, slim ergos, easy engine access (for work and cooling) and a large sub-frame style rear tank... Seems HRC have bought into that idea too?

Jx

HRC had to be sold on it, and it took a while according to what we are seeing and what Helder has said...

The yamaha looks to be a slim as can be, and the speedbrain was there all along.

Seems KTMs efforts may also be about more then EFI - a more nible bike...
Could we see even more technical stages next year?
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #2688
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
hasn't been mentioned, but it looks to me that the bike helder is on is a real "bitsa".

standard IMS front tank, old steel frame wr450 rear tanks from his old bikes and what look like the front lower tanks from his last generation yzf450 behind the HRC bash guard from last dakar.

No real point just some observations.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #2689
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
hasn't been mentioned, but it looks to me that the bike helder is on is a real "bitsa".

standard IMS front tank, old steel frame wr450 rear tanks from his old bikes and what look like the front lower tanks from his last generation yzf450 behind the HRC bash guard from last dakar.

No real point just some observations.
Pretty sure that was last years bike and the other is a fairly standard 450 x - full images, but probably not technical details of the new bike will be out soon - it's a bit special so I hear.

too old screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 07:51 PM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #2690
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Can you tell us more about this?
When Sam received his 10 minute technical penalty in Abu Dhabi for missing one of the wrongly placed marker flags after the finish time check.

Once finished he had just had his team look at the bike after he had won the stage with his exhaust in 2 pieces to see if it was ok for the liaison and he rentered the "track" on the wrong side of the marker flag, a certain member of another team brought this to the attention of the officials.

Whilst the local guys were not too interested, in the interest of sportsmanship, the FIM rep did not let it drop and Sam lost 10 mins for an off the course incident - he was ultimately 3rd - 8 and a half mins behind Coma with a 10 min penalty!

Technically correct but very very harsh under all the circumstances!

too old screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 03:19 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #2691
doghouseracing
Freedom Rally Racing

Oddometer: 32
The minimalist bike is easy to ride and easy to maintain. After Mike broke his foot on the rather large and overweight Meca' systems kitted 530EXC-R at the 2011 Dakar. We went with this set up. Mike rode it in the 2012 Dakar and again used it in the 2013 Ruta 40. Mike finished 34th at the Ruta 40. Our Columbian riders Marco and Mateo rode these same bikes to a finish in this years Dakar.

As a mechanic it is nice when all you have to do to get the tank off is to pull two fairing clips and one bolt.
Attached Images

doghouseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #2692
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,188
Here are the last of the videos I put together from the 2013 Dakar Rally.

Trucks 1

Trucks 2

Cars 1

Cars 2
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #2693
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouseracing View Post
The minimalist bike is easy to ride and easy to maintain. After Mike broke his foot on the rather large and overweight Meca' systems kitted 530EXC-R at the 2011 Dakar. We went with this set up. Mike rode it in the 2012 Dakar and again used it in the 2013 Ruta 40. Mike finished 34th at the Ruta 40. Our Columbian riders Marco and Mateo rode these same bikes to a finish in this years Dakar.

As a mechanic it is nice when all you have to do to get the tank off is to pull two fairing clips and one bolt.

Hey doghouse I'm familiar with the safari tanks (have one) but where did you source the fairing? Two clips sounds good to me. Did you have a build thread that I missed? I haven't found anything I've been happy with yet.
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #2694
doghouseracing
Freedom Rally Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
Hey doghouse I'm familiar with the safari tanks (have one) but where did you source the fairing? Two clips sounds good to me. Did you have a build thread that I missed? I haven't found anything I've been happy with yet.
No build thread, unfortunately. I am better at building bikes than I am on forums. I will get some pictures up. The fairing was made by Luis Belaustegui. The man has many talents.

Two clips and you will notice the fairing is molded to fit the tank like a glove.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #2695
doghouseracing
Freedom Rally Racing

From the top.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #2696
doghouseracing
Freedom Rally Racing

Pisco, Dakar 2013
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #2697
Jadon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouseracing View Post

Doghouse, that must be one of the neatest, well sorted looking bikes I have seen.
Good work!
Trust Luis to have a hand in it... That alone must be worth a bucket of 'Finish.'
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #2698
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
The Meca 525/530 era kits and the current Meca CRF/WR kits are completely different animals. I also agree that the old KTM kits were overly complex. However, the 450X kit is super nice and simple. Jenny has it right--they are the lightest, narrowest setups available on the open market. BTW, the WR and CRF use the same rear tank.

Meca's current EFI KTM kit is simpler than the old ones too. But it keeps an awful lot of fuel up front in the Acerbis 20L tank. The fairings are all DZUS quarter-turn as well, on all of Meca's new fairings. Ease of maintenance is key, as Scott says.

I agree with the simple enduro bike concept. But once you need to add extra fuel, I feel that the current Meca CRF and WR kits are way better than any add-on setups available, and easier to work on than most setups with large/extra aftermarket tanks. I'm not a fan of the Safari rear tanks. Scott, with all the melting problems last year, have you replaced them with something else?

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #2699
doghouseracing
Freedom Rally Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRMS View Post
The Meca 525/530 era kits and the current Meca CRF/WR kits are completely different animals. I also agree that the old KTM kits were overly complex. However, the 450X kit is super nice and simple. Jenny has it right--they are the lightest, narrowest setups available on the open market. BTW, the WR and CRF use the same rear tank.

Meca's current EFI KTM kit is simpler than the old ones too. But it keeps an awful lot of fuel up front in the Acerbis 20L tank. The fairings are all DZUS quarter-turn as well, on all of Meca's new fairings. Ease of maintenance is key, as Scott says.

I agree with the simple enduro bike concept. But once you need to add extra fuel, I feel that the current Meca CRF and WR kits are way better than any add-on setups available, and easier to work on than most setups with large/extra aftermarket tanks. I'm not a fan of the Safari rear tanks. Scott, with all the melting problems last year, have you replaced them with something else?

Dave
Dave, suprised you don't remember.

The problem was not with the tank itself but in fact the failure of the stock KTM exhaust pipe. The pipe leaked at the seam and caused the tank failure on Mateo's Bike and Marco had a screw back out of the can that blew a concentrated stream of hot exhaust straight through the tank.

Even with the failure of a rear tank, my bikes had no problems going the distance as well to finish the Dakar.

We have taken steps to prevent that from happening again by replacing the muffler (FMF) and applying a heat sheilding tape to the underside of the tank.

I think for the price they work great. They do unfortunately close up the cockpit a bit for taller riders. If someone would make a replacement subframe tank for an XC-W, I would definately consider that as an alternative. Our goal however was to build a light and fairly economical bike to complete the Dakar.

Keep in mind that everyone strives to evolve and produce products that are lighter, stronger, faster and easy to work on

Our current crop of bikes don't need anything other than tires and navigation equipment
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #2700
doghouseracing
Freedom Rally Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Doghouse, that must be one of the neatest, well sorted looking bikes I have seen.
Good work!
Trust Luis to have a hand in it... That alone must be worth a bucket of 'Finish.'
Thank you Jadon