Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #4276
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
The displacement (and power) is already enough (if not too much). 1290 vs 1190 means more weight, but I doubt it's more useful power.
+1 I've never gone for more power and came up short.. it just doesn't happen, its more of a question of lets see if i can finally touch full throttle on this straight.. oop, got it for 1/2 a sec at least lol...

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #4277
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Post
wish-list so far:
• No Orange. Anywhere. (On at least one option!) "Good Luck, have you tried the GSpot forum? ;)"
• Electronic suspension option on the "R" model "would be good but I think you have more options with the manual"
• Better quality control (no more front wheel nightmares / loose hoses etc.) "Yup, its a first model though so there will always be teething issues"
• Improved indicator switch (more feel) "I still like the paddle ones off the pre 2012 BMW F650-800's, its not too bad but feels abit hyundaish"
• Better heat insulation for rider "Would be good"
• Better side-stand design "fkn oath, the side stand may as well have a pointed end, you cant use it on anything short of asphalt or rock.."
• Increased alternator output "Haven't really needed it, although the battery needs to be a bit higher amps as sometimes its doesn't have enough grunt to kick it over until the 6+ turns""
• Better headlamp (led?) "It isnt too bad as it is, there is the option for aux lighting as well"
• Electronic cruise control (on both models, at least as an option) "Now your just getting lazy :P"
• On-the-fly adjustable windshield "Umm it is, i just adjusted mine doing 110km/h??"
• 1290 Super Duke engine "waste of weight and effort, ive never needed more power"
• Better spring rates (if needed?) "Umm well I can only talk from BMW's perspective here, they set up their bikes for 85kg people.. So if KTM has a golden number similar to this then a factory option of spring rates might be good? I have found my 100kg weight fine with the current spring rate."
comments above :P

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 09-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #4278
Blue Skies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
Good news and bad news.......so far my 1190R has done 4000Km and all is well, touch wood. Only real complaint is the poorly designed side stand and stand mount. Adding a base load spreader does little to correct poor design. The problem is with the mount......it needs to be at a different angle so that a longer side stand can be used and then still fold back correctly along the swinging arm. Oil drop from the chain dropping on the exhaust I have solved with a catch pan just under drive sprocket.
The bad news is that given what one reads on the KTM 690R thread [and I have followed it through 1000 odd pages ] [ I have owned one from new ], don't expect KTM to rush you with any fixes or updates. The 690 has been plagued by fuel pump failures, poor idle mapping [flame-outs ] and lately we are seeing valve rocker failures . The fuel pump failures are so frequently reported that many inmates have at their own cost fitted an after market upgraded fuel pump. [ I have fitted a second pump and can run on either ]. I suspect that many people thinking of purchasing a 690R have decided not to proceed after reading the thread. Recently an Ozzie and a Pom rod two 690R's from UK to Australia [ a sort of ''long way around'' ]. Not one but both broke down in Russia with dead fuel pumps with very difficult overstay visa problems as a result. This is all in a DVD '' Continental Drift '' widely distributed with magazine issue recently. In my opinion very poor on KTM ....at very least every customer [ bike owner ...we are customers ! ] should have been supplied FOC. with a new upgraded pump. What was nearly as bad was that I was going to give the DVD, proudly, to my mate with a lowly DR650, but now just imagine the ragging he would now give me.........DR"s don't brake down........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re DR650s not breaking down, my 2010 DR developed a horrible whine in 3rd gear at around 5000k. Fixed under warranty- case hardening had failed. And to think I briefly considered a 690 rather than the DR, but didn't proceed because of nagging doubts about KTM reliability. Nevertheless, I now find myself seriously considering an 1190 Adventure after recently test riding one, which is why I am following this thread. Have decided my full on sports bike days are over, having just sold my R1, but still need a dash of hooligan in whatever I get. It would mainly be a road bike, maybe fire trails and good dirt, but no more. I figure if I can't pick it up by myself it's too big for serious off road. I guess I am the market KTM is aiming for with the standard Adventure. A quick, good handling, relatively light, sit up bike with room to carry plenty of gear when needed and the ability to handle good dirt and gravel occasionally. You KTM lovers will tell me there are other KTM options, but I'm not sure they go as hard as this thing does - that's what impressed me the most. I've tried the new GS, and although quite impressive, just too sanitized.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #4279
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
A quick, good handling, relatively light, sit up bike with room to carry plenty of gear when needed and the ability to handle good dirt and gravel occasionally. You KTM lovers will tell me there are other KTM options, but I'm not sure they go as hard as this thing does - that's what impressed me the most.
Try an SMT too, the shorter wheelbase and smaller wheel size will add some "hooligan" that might compensate for the drop in HP vs the 1190.
I moved from the SMT to the 1190 because I use it a lot to commute and it is awesome for sure but so is the SMT (or SM for that matter).

So yes, there are other KTM options. :)
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #4280
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re DR650s not breaking down, my 2010 DR developed a horrible whine in 3rd gear at around 5000k. Fixed under warranty- case hardening had failed. And to think I briefly considered a 690 rather than the DR, but didn't proceed because of nagging doubts about KTM reliability. Nevertheless, I now find myself seriously considering an 1190 Adventure after recently test riding one, which is why I am following this thread. Have decided my full on sports bike days are over, having just sold my R1, but still need a dash of hooligan in whatever I get. It would mainly be a road bike, maybe fire trails and good dirt, but no more. I figure if I can't pick it up by myself it's too big for serious off road. I guess I am the market KTM is aiming for with the standard Adventure. A quick, good handling, relatively light, sit up bike with room to carry plenty of gear when needed and the ability to handle good dirt and gravel occasionally. You KTM lovers will tell me there are other KTM options, but I'm not sure they go as hard as this thing does - that's what impressed me the most. I've tried the new GS, and although quite impressive, just too sanitized.
Hehe, this is like looking at myself half a year ago, apart from my R1 getting stolen, not sold.
I now have 11 000 km on my 1190 and no regrets. It has its minor flaws, but there is not a single bike out there I would rather own. Even did some gravel this wekend in pouring rain just for fun. Just can't ride it enough....

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #4281
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
comments above :P

• Electronic suspension option on the "R" model "would be good but I think you have more options with the manual"

I wonder why KTM don΄t offer a finer adjustment with the electronic version. Technically it would be no problem, I think.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #4282
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Motorcyclist Magazine just gave KTM 1190 ADV the 2013 Adventure Motorcycle Of The Year award
Suzuki V-Strom (Stromtrooper) Wiki
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #4283
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgios View Post
I wonder why KTM don΄t offer a finer adjustment with the electronic version. Technically it would be no problem, I think.
yeah its only servo's turning the knobs rather than you turning them, so it would be technically possible and an easy mod. But, its more for the people who go by the book and say ok, the book says when im offroad, i need to be in comfort mode or when im riding fast, sports.. etc..

so they click a button and off they go..

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #4284
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Motorcyclist Mag awards a nonexistent bike? Brilliant!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #4285
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Motorcyclist Magazine just gave KTM 1190 ADV the 2013 Adventure Motorcycle Of The Year award
It's strange since here they don't seem to like it so much and say the GS is the best bike on the planet:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...e/viewall.html
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #4286
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Motorcyclist Mag awards a nonexistent bike? Brilliant!
It exists in many places except the USA..
Motorcyclist magazine is not just limited to US riders or motorcycles
Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #4287
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Quote:
It's strange since here they don't seem to like it so much and say the GS is the best bike on the planet:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...e/viewall.html
They seem to be a bit BMW fan boys.. but I guess somebody still saw the qualities of the KTM 1190 ADV beyond the BMW supplied sunglasses
Old 09-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #4288
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 528
On their Google+ page they mention for the new year
Quote:
[...] a brand new (and useful) feature never seen before on any motorcycle though.
https://plus.google.com/106761503602...ts/VFVgD3cR43T

In the comments.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #4289
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
On their Google+ page they mention for the new year

https://plus.google.com/106761503602...ts/VFVgD3cR43T

In the comments.
yeah, that's probably the new "curve ABS" system

http://www.motorradonline.de/news/ab...a-bosch/443563
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #4290
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Hello !

i wanted to add my question here about the crashbars.
There are several options. I am between two. OEM and SW-Motech.

My main question about the OEM is, if the bike lays on the side, do they protect just the engine ? Do the upper tank fairings touch down with the OEM crash bars ? If yes then is just a waste of money and i should go with the SW-Motech.

The OEM crashbars.

And the SW-Motech

PS. Rumbux is not an option. I don't want my bike to look like being in jail.
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote