User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
kennythetiger OP
Kennythetiger

Oddometer: 51
Asymmetrical Handlebar Mod, or Keep your eyes in the feckin road

After a great day of Dualsport riding some ATV trails between Hwy 185 and 8 and around Bixby. Nice rocky rutted hillclimbs and such to break in some new Kenda K270's on the DRZ400, we had a nice meal at the Bixby store. Met a guy who was riding a Triumph Sprint and got to talking.

We got to talking about dualsport riding and friends rides, and went off on our separate ways. The wife and I (she was on her TW 200 and didn't take the tumble with me) hit a couple more fire roads that led back to 32, and started down DD toward Potosi.

About 4 miles down DD, I spotted our new Buddy down a gravel road, stopped. As I looked back, wondering if he was OK,(Having a recent problem with MY triumph 955) I let my distraction get the best of me. I looked forward again, straight ahead, as the road took a sharp turn to the left, slightly off camber with a mild downhill grade. My immediate reaction was braking, not finding the proper line. As my eyes fixated on the ditch I would soon by laying in I thought, "This is going to suck"

I was going about 60 when I started panic braking. My rear wheel slid off of the road first and as it hit the grass, I high sided tumbling down the weed covered drainage ditch and ending up in a feet first slide. All very lucky. Got on my feet almost immediately.

The damage:

Me:
A few scrapes on my lower back where I forgot to zip my jacket and pants together. Sore lower back. Slightly sore neck. Bump on my forehead from impact. I was very lucky and the gear did it's job.

The bike:
Bent handlebar and broken front Turn signal. Rode it 100 miles home with no issues. The engine guards and the Thumpertalk case covers did their job as well. Very surprised it was rideable. Drz's are tough machines.

The Gear:
Fly Racing Dualsport helmet. It was cheap, but did it's job well. I'l be replacing it with another. Olympia Convertable pants. Held up perfectly. Olympia Mesh jacket: no tears, stained, but survived the crash unharmed. Triumph touring Boots: Could stand to be cleaned.
I had forgotten to switch back to street gloves, so I was wearing six-six-one MX gloves. No armor. Shear luck that my hands were undamaged.

Took some Aleve and taking the morning off of work. All and all not bad for a 60 mph high side.
kennythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
You lucked out amigo!

I'm glad your not more banged up. Or worse.

PM me if you want tk ride some time..I'm in St Ann in da hood.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
kennythetiger OP
Kennythetiger

Oddometer: 51
Thanks.

Will do Nesquick! Gonna be a couple of weeks til I can do any offroad I think.
kennythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennythetiger View Post
Will do Nesquick! Gonna be a couple of weeks til I can do any offroad I think.
Heal up well before you beat yourself up more, haha.

I dont have an offroad bike at the moment. Its on the to-do, but my Triumph keeps me happy until then.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 752
Ouch dude! Glad your OK!

Bend the other side and you can sell it as a "cafe" they are all the rage now....
Old 09-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
A friend of mine did a version of that a few years ago while hauling ass on an unfamiliar dirt track. He missed a corner and rode into a ditch. He bent his forks, rim, bars, and toasted his fender. We later discovered the the tripples hit the frame stop hard enough to break the frame stop and twist the steering head on the frame out of alignment by over an 1/8th of an inch (the bike now eats fork bushings fairly rapidly) If he had known about the frame issue, he would have turned it into his insurance, but didn't at the time.

He also broke a couple ribs, but rode 100 miles home.

He rides A LOT slower now then he did before that.

I'd say you lucked out.

Anybody want to buy a clean, one owner, 06 KLR

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
What is this, drive your motorcycle off the road month?

Glad I'm not the only one. Well, not glad exactly. But I feel slightly better.

I got away with a new grip and hand guards. That looks worse.
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 273
Glad you're OK (naturally), but what kind of road is DD? You mention a gravel road but I can't imagine you doing 60 on that. And where were you when the rear wheel gave way in the curve or before it? Do you think you applied too much rear braking?

I'm not an insurance investigator; just trying to learn from others' experiences...

(And another example of ATGATT; my GF is wondering why I'm looking to buy some armored riding pants. I tell her this is one instance where less isn't more.)

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote