User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #31
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,990
btw, here's how to short out the data wires in USB cable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZt4pW97P8
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #32
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Hate to burst your Samsung bubble but all Android OS's since 4.0 have a Display, Glove Mode, setting. It works if you have textile gloves or very think leather gloves but it is of no use in the rain -- you need something more, or skin.
Not there on the S3.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #33
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Not there on the S3.
Looks like Samsung didn't believe in gloves until they wanted to make you think it was a big deal on their part.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #34
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
If your point is that corporations do not listen to their customers I would disagree but since all of the products you've mentioned are
incorporated businesses maybe there is another point you are making.
It's OK to disagree.

Try requesting a change in your gps software. Will it require "upgrading" to the next $450 model sometime next year, or will they just push out the feature for you in a zip in a week or so?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
It's OK to disagree.

Try requesting a change in your gps software. Will it require "upgrading" to the next $450 model sometime next year, or will they just push out the feature for you in a zip in a week or so?
Well I've been using these things for a long time so I'll only go back four years but in that time I've had eight feature requests implemented to two Garmin devices (brands). None of those enhancements required me to spend money. I think that is rather good in the grand scheme of things.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Looks like Samsung didn't believe in gloves until they wanted to make you think it was a big deal on their part.
Wow, do you have a vendetta against Samsung or are all your posts just generally snarky?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #37
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Wow, do you have a vendetta against Samsung or are all your posts just generally snarky?
Just an observation...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Looks like the "glove mode" is available on very few phones, and Samsung is one of them.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #39
genka
SUV hater

Quote:
Well I've been using these things for a long time so I'll only go back four years but in that time I've had eight feature requests implemented to two Garmin devices (brands). None of those enhancements required me to spend money. I think that is rather good in the grand scheme of things.
Garmin is constantly updating their software, but not all changes are good. In the past years they had been removing feature after feature in order to simplify things. Today I pulled my old cheap eTrex Legend handheld. It has 5 levels of map detail, Zumo has 3. Actually, Legend has 5 pages of different map display options. You can separately adjust font sizes and zoom levels, for streets, wypoints, etc, change colors, disable lock to the road and so on. Why the expensive motorcycle unit has none of these? The LCD screen in sunlight readable.You'd think past 10 years revolutionized display technology. Not for Garmin, they are still stuck in the past.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #40
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Garmin is constantly updating their software, but not all changes are good. In the past years they had been removing feature after feature in order to simplify things. Today I pulled my old cheap eTrex Legend handheld. It has 5 levels of map detail, Zumo has 3. Actually, Legend has 5 pages of different map display options. You can separately adjust font sizes and zoom levels, for streets, wypoints, etc, change colors, disable lock to the road and so on. Why the expensive motorcycle unit has none of these? The LCD screen in sunlight readable.You'd think past 10 years revolutionized display technology. Not for Garmin, they are still stuck in the past.

just don't walk under a tree....hardwood or softwood...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #41
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Your observations are good ones. Your assumption that the majority of Garmin's customers want all of those features may not be correct. I would speculate that if Garmin perceived that there was a large enough customer base that required them they would still be in a comparable device.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #42
genka
SUV hater

I could understand if they made those changes just for basic consumer devices such as Nuvi series. If they expect Zumo users to learn their incomprehensible Base Camp, they should leave advanced features on the devices.
Make something any idiot can use- and only an idiot will want to use it.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #43
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I could understand if they made those changes just for basic consumer devices such as Nuvi series. If they expect Zumo users to learn their incomprehensible Base Camp, they should leave advanced features on the devices.
Make something any idiot can use- and only an idiot will want to use it.
But the zumo's are basic consumer devices compared to my Montana for example. They have very simple features that most motorcyclist [consumers] appear to be interested in.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,357
For Moto -
Mission 1: Direct sunlight readability
Mission 2: Some buttons and glove friendly
Mission 3: Good map detail (I have been complaining about the zoom out lack of detail for years)
Mission 4: Good routing/track capability with good complementary computer software
Mission 5: Custom map capability
Mission 6: Mount with detachable cables

The rest is fluff

Damn - list was longer than I thought when I started typing.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 976
#1: My phone is direct sunlight readable.
#2: My phone is glove friendly.
#3: Too many choices to describe map detail available on my phone, including some access to street views and satellite views.
#4: Phone routing varies a bit with the software. Tons of choices. I can plan on a few desktop apps, and transfer to a few phone apps. No 'great' desktop to phone interfaces, but a number of 'OK' ones.
#5: Custom maps on the phone, again, multiple choices.
#6: Mount with detachable cables. Not sure what you mean. I can detach my GPS or my phone.
You forgot:
#8: Water proof. My Garmin is, my phone isn't. There are many waterproof/rugged phones though. And it isn't hard to add a cover to make a phone water resistant.
#9: Battery operated. My phone is, some GPS units are. You can't carry them inside to plan a route.
#10: Maps and software that can be moved from device to device. Garmin locks the maps that you buy to the device. If it fails or you move on, you lose $$. I can buy a relatively cheap app for an Android phone, and it will work on my next phone or tablet or whatever.