User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Places to ride in sf Bay Area

So I did my first trials event at the weekend and I'm hooked now! I can't wait for the next event which is 4 weeks away so I'm wondering where else I can go to have fun and practice?

I'm in Oakland. Any suggestions?
sweenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweenrace View Post
So I did my first trials event at the weekend and I'm hooked now! I can't wait for the next event which is 4 weeks away so I'm wondering where else I can go to have fun and practice?

Just the usual parks, Frank Raines, Carnegie, Hollister, Metcalf. Your bike is probably got a red sticker, so these are closed to you until October 1. North in Cow Mountain and Stonyford are open year round. Doesn't your club have land in the Sierra's?
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
Just the usual parks, Frank Raines, Carnegie, Hollister, Metcalf. Your bike is probably got a red sticker, so these are closed to you until October 1. North in Cow Mountain and Stonyford are open year round. Doesn't your club have land in the Sierra's?
I think he was looking for some place to ride local in the Bay Area.. I don't know of anything local for you. I have meet PITS guys from the Bay Area at Mammoth Bar to practice. A little too hot there now. The club property is the best bet with the summer heat.

Kind of sucks - ride in your yard or drive a long ways. That's why I don't live in the Bay Area.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Park your cars on the street and practice in your driveway. I used to do that when I lived in Palo Alto. If the landscaping in the back yard is resilient you can ride on it. You can even set up some obstacles. A 4x4 crossways in the middle of a turn will teach you to unweight the front in a turn. Ride a longer one lengthways to practice keeping the bike on a line.

Making a tight turn is one of the first skills you need. The better you can do them the easier everything else in the sections will be, because you have more room. I used to practice doing figure 8s every time I got on the bike. After some practice I could do one inside a normal car parking spot. Put some tape down to make section boundaries.

ericm screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 05:12 PM
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Yep, looking for a place that doesn't require a couple hour drive to get to. I've been practicing in my driveway but the neighbors are complaining already!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 727
I would invite you to ride at my house but it's not that nice of a backyard to drive 2 hours. Well it might be if you are desperate.

http://youtu.be/sr_4yIY8asc?t=31s

My wife complaints that the neighbors will complain.. but they never do.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Lucky

This thread makes me realize how lucky I am. I have just a couple of wooded acres, as do each of my adjacent neighbors. Both neighbors have no objection to me riding in their yards, and one even creates new obstacles for me from time to time (he heats with wood and regularly brings a big trailer load of logs home to split). A several hundred acre summer camp is behind me, with another across the street, both of which are available for light use in their off-seasons. My 'across the street' neighbor has 26 acres and always welcomes me to come and ride. He's also got a backhoe and has offered to come help me build that splatter wall that I've been dreaming about...

I don't meant to rub it in at all... I'm just in a funk tonight due to some bad news and this is a nice reminder that things aren't all bad.
motojunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Rub it in all you want! Everyone needs to find the silver lining every now and then!

I have a nice gasgas in my garage that wasnt there a couple of week ago so I cant complain too much either :)
Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweenrace View Post

Cool!

I was told by a club member or two that they are able to ride at the ranch where the Cow Pile event was held, in Petaluma, close to that oyster farm under attack. I think they are allowed to ride there for some fee per year or are guests, could be wrong. It seemed so-so (mostly rolling dirt hills) and there were a lot of rules and warnings at the riders' meeting that were a bit oppressive, IMO. You could ask this question on the club's yahoo groups email (and likely get invited to more yards). :-) (mine is decent for me after work too, but by that time/distance you could have gone to Mammoth Bar (Sundays) or Prairie City or may as well go up to the club property)

I believe Dan lives in Santa Rosa and we see him up at the property, so that is likely your answer. You know you can camp there, right?

Give me (and DrKayak, etc.) a heads up when you can make it up sometime, and we might see you up there.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Its not close, but you used to be able to ride at Donner for a small fee.

if that's still possible, it's worth the trip.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Undertheoaks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I ride in the Bay area have a few practice spots let me know when you ride or have time Im usually available after 3 weekdays or anytime weekends.
Undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Undertheoaks,

I'm definitely up for riding sometime! I might be able to make it out for a half a day on Saturday.

Will send you a PM!

Best
Ian