Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #1321
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
If youre going to get off the bike put the stand down first.
I always get of the bike before I put the bike on the stand,.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #1322
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
I Haven't posted in awhile and I can't remember if this one was already posted. But even if it has, it's worth repeating...

-------

When waiting at a stop light don't be the first one to pull into the intersection when the light turns green.

Scan left-right-left (right-left-right for those that drive on the left side of the road) before pulling out. The time that takes could save your life. Then continue to scan as you proceed through the intersection.

If it's a multi lane road let someone else pull out first so they take the hit from the idiot that runs the red light.

If you practice doing that with all vehicles you drive/ride it will quickly become a habit.

Jon...
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #1323
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
I always get of the bike before I put the bike on the stand,.
Don't wear shoes with long laces, that can get caught around the stand whilst you are on the bike!
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #1324
Mr. Jerry
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Low speed use the rear brake

At low speed (up to 10 mph), use your rear brake instead, specially if you are doing small turns, like the ones used to align and park your bike.
Mr. Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #1325
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Smooth is fast, and don't try fast until you're smooth.
CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #1326
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
The amount of company...

Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #1327
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Move like a car.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #1328
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucknarut View Post
I think the most important thing I learned is, your noggin is both your biggest asset and your own worst enemy, so you never quit learning and practicing. It amazes me how many riders have no flippin' clue what can lead to a crash and why. Gotta be able to pick up and assess risk correctly, and not get yourself in over your head. Then, when it hits the fan, your knee-jerk reactions are all hard-wired for a much slower world than bike speed. Fear and adrenaline hits, you'll clamp down on the bars, focus on the danger, cut the throttle, hit the brakes hard in a corner, panic when the rear wheel cuts loose, etc. etc. Takes a lot of rehearsing to overcome a natural fear response.
True. I've got over 20 years riding experience. Two years ago, while out on my supermoto, I had a moose dart out in front of me. It was 6 am, I was doing 80 km/h, and was riding in a heavily forested area. I managed to avoid the moose because I was ready. I had practised tons of emergency stop manoeuvres in my early years. I brought the bike from 80 to zero in no time, the rear tire locked up slightly, enough to chirp (which I think frightened the moose causing him to turn and run away). It all happened in a blink.

I've avoided many other accidents, mostly cagers who've pulled out in front of me or into my lane. I only laid a bike down once: too much front brake pulling off a road into an empty parking lot (there was sand at the entrance to the lot). I was cold (riding in 5 degree Celsius), tired, had a headache, had been riding for 90 minutes. A bone-headed split-second decision to pull over to adjust a neck warmer I was wearing and BAM I was down. I could hear my helmet hit the ground and I slid. No injuries due to wearing all leather (during my cruiser days). Only thing hurt was my pride.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #1329
Wop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
True. I've got over 20 years riding experience. Two years ago, while out on my supermoto, I had a moose dart out in front of me. It was 6 am, I was doing 80 km/h, and was riding in a heavily forested area. I managed to avoid the moose because I was ready. I had practised tons of emergency stop manoeuvres in my early years. I brought the bike from 80 to zero in no time, the rear tire locked up slightly, enough to chirp (which I think frightened the moose causing him to turn and run away). It all happened in a blink.

I've avoided many other accidents, mostly cagers who've pulled out in front of me or into my lane. I only laid a bike down once: too much front brake pulling off a road into an empty parking lot (there was sand at the entrance to the lot). I was cold (riding in 5 degree Celsius), tired, had a headache, had been riding for 90 minutes. A bone-headed split-second decision to pull over to adjust a neck warmer I was wearing and BAM I was down. I could hear my helmet hit the ground and I slid. No injuries due to wearing all leather (during my cruiser days). Only thing hurt was my pride.
Cold sneaks up on you and and you sometimes don't realise how badly until you stop to fuel up and look for your wallet and try to remember to zip up all those jacket pockets before you go. Being even a little cold for several hours will burn up so many more calories it can really effect your concentration so always eat when you are out for those big days.

If you are forever telling stories about those stupid cagers who constantly pull out on you and the near misses you keep having then you have got it all wrong. Stop, think and change the way you are riding because you will get hurt eventually...or worse. People who ride bikes (and pushbikes) who think they operate under the same road rules as cars and upwards are sadly mistaken.
My frame of mind in traffic is always, "if someone does something dumb and these cars start bouncing around like a pin ball where am I going to be"
...30 metres back in the extreme outside of the lane. If someone wants to run over me on the freeway they are going to have to be parked in the emargency stopping lane with me. I can't stand watching guys 10 feet of someones bumper almost on the centre line under the premise that you can see whats happening up ahead better. The car beside you changes lane without looking and they only have to travel 3 feet to get you.
Wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #1330
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Wait until the kamikaze bugs dry out before you try to wipe them off your face shield.

Ron
Ranger Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #1331
grayroamer
LTL B

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Wait until the kamikaze bugs dry out before you try to wipe them off your face shield.

Ron
Good one!
grayroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #1332
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 610
For me, the most important thing to know, have the attitude that ONLY you can really do anything to improve your riding situation.

Don't expect anyone else on the road to anything for you to make your riding easier, safer, less crowded, less hectic, etc. It's ALL up to YOU 1st. When you strive to reduce YOUR risks of riding as your guiding attitude it will positively impact all aspects of your riding.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #1333
Qute
Old Fart

Oddometer: 141
Try to ride for 50 years, not for 1 year, 50 times over...

In other words, don't stop learning after the first year...

88 KLR 250 (temporary bike), 94 KLR 650
96 TRX 850, 97 NX 650 Dominator
98 XF 650 Freewind (Project)
Qute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #1334
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
For me, the most important thing to know, have the attitude that ONLY you can really do anything to improve your riding situation.

Don't expect anyone else on the road to anything for you to make your riding easier, safer, less crowded, less hectic, etc. It's ALL up to YOU 1st. When you strive to reduce YOUR risks of riding as your guiding attitude it will positively impact all aspects of your riding.
You mean don't watch the range rover expecting him to stop?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #1335
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post

Ron
Open cuffs catch a lot of nice air to cool you, but that air sometimes contains bees and wasps.

Also Bugs crawling around in your sleeve is unpleasant...

Also: beestings in your armpit hurt like a bastard.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote