Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #31366
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,662
I met Bobby Sands. Or his brother. Or someone

I was up at 0515 for a ride this morning and had just crossed Pecos on 48th heading onto the reservation when I spotted a light way back behind me.

This stretch is relatively new streets with almost zero traffic. There's only one traffic light and a bicycle will trigger it nicely. I go over to Phoenix Firebird and then turn around.

I was going 20 or so along here but I noticed the light behind me was slowly closing it. Shit - it's a fast guy on a real bike.

As I made the turnaround, he was only 50 yards behind me so I, despite not being in good shape, kicked it to 24-25 mph.

The light that I mentioned turned green about a 100 yards before I got to it and then cycled back to red. The other cyclist pulled up beside me and said.....

"Damn dude - you were hauling ass on that thing. I've seen those before and they seem to trudge along at 15-16 mph but you were flying! You look great on that thing."

He could barely talk though - seems he worked hard to catch me but, to be honest, this dude was flying. He was in a full tuck, had a nice set of aero wheels and had to be doing 27-28!

By the time we got to the next light, about a mile away, he was 100 yards ahead of me and then, when we made the turn on Pecos, he kicked it up another gear. By the time I got to my turnoff, about 4 miles distant, he was an easy half-mile ahead of me. I guess I wore myself out trying to hold him off and then trying to catch him.

It was nice to talk to another rider and I appreciated his comments but damn, the dude was pretty darn fast himself.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #31367
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That video is so self-promoting. At 5:30, the 3rd or 4th rider is on a MTB. After the supposed "3 minute" break, that MTB is at the sharp end of the "peloton". I don't think anyone was killing it. No one wants to ride with a dick like this guy.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #31368
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
My next saddle will most likely be the Brooks Cambium for endurance rides.

You may want to try one of these,It's an older saddle and might not be on your radar. It's a San Marco Regal, very compfy.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #31369
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That video is so self-promoting.
I agree, it looked like an average club ride or tour full of tourist and sport riders just cruising along.

We have a a few guys here that brag all the time how fast they are and all they do is ride with a bunch of retirees on their daily social ride then brag about how they killed it and put the hurt on them. When I ask them to come out and ride with the race team, they always have an excuse. The one guy brags he can TT at 35mph which is faster than any pro. I told him to take his cyclometer off KPH and put on MPH!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #31370
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Got any saddle recommendations for a skinny-assed guy who wants to put ~2 hours in the saddle on a ride?

Light would be nice, but not the be-all-end-all goal.

Try a Trek Dealer who has one of the benches you sit on, it shows color variations of pressure at the sit bones and you match the color to the saddle width. Our shop has a table full of saddles that are take offs and such that people try during demo rides and a neighboring shop has a saddle library where you borrow one for a week then bring it back or buy it.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #31371
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,757
Saddle fit is so subjective that its almost impossible to predict who will fit what.

For example:

I think Ariones are ass hatchets but a buddy loves em

I think Antares saddles are pretty good for my fit, but another buddy can't ride em

Regals are too wide and I end up sitting way up on the nose all the time. I SO wanted to like the 2 that I bought with Ti rails. Ditto with the Turbomatic Team saddles. I still have one left if someone wants to start a saddle swap.

I didn't care for Romin saddles but I know people that love em.

etc etc etc

M
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #31372
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Try a Trek Dealer who has one of the benches you sit on, it shows color variations of pressure at the sit bones and you match the color to the saddle width. Our shop has a table full of saddles that are take offs and such that people try during demo rides and a neighboring shop has a saddle library where you borrow one for a week then bring it back or buy it.
Got a buddy that works at a shop with one of those pressure pad seats that shows the width of your sit bones (or what ever they are). He is using a saddle 10mm wider now and is pretty happy. He's smallish guy, too.

I agree with Gummee! about subjectivity, but look around for a shop with one of these things. Might be a good starting point.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #31373
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,757
The secret bike mechanic

Observations about how people behave in bike shops

Monday, 1 October 2012

10 things people never say in restaurants

1. "If I bring my own food, can you just heat it up for me?"

And if the proprietor obligingly says yes to (1), then:
  2. "I don't know anything about cooking. Could you just quickly talk me through what ingredients to buy and how to prepare them?"
  3. "Can I just borrow a knife and a chopping board? I know what I'm doing, I used to work in a canteen."

If the proprietor makes the mistake of saying yes to (3), then:
  4. "Can you just show me how to use this knife? I'm good with spoons and forks and stuff, but I've never really used a knife before" ... and proceeds to take up more of the chef's time than if he'd just cooked the meal in the first place.
  5. Whilst getting in the way of the proprietor who is trying to move tables and chairs out onto the patio: "I know you don't open for another 15 minutes, but could you just quickly make me something to eat now? I'm in a bit of a hurry." Then (counter-productively for both parties) loiters in the doorway.
  6. "If I buy all the ingredients from you, will you charge me extra to cook them?"
  7. "Can I watch the chef while he cooks my meal so I know how to do it myself next time?"
  8. "9.50 for a single course!?! F***in' 'ell, you can get a whole supermarket ready-meal for less than that!"
  9. "How much do you charge for a meal?" When the waiter explains that it depends entirely on what he orders, the customer replies "Just roughly how much? On average". The waiter says the usual practice is to book a table and browse through the menu, and reiterates that the price will depend on what the customer chooses. So the customer books a table for the following week, and never shows up.
  10. "Hi. I had a meal here a couple of days ago and you said it would be really filling, but I'm hungry again already. Can I have a refund?"
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #31374
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
No one wants to ride with a dick like this guy.
All recumbent riders are dicks with gray hair and aero-bellies.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #31375
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
"Mt" Dora is in FL.
was gonna say, that was /barely/ a bump. and that was NOT a peloton, by any stretch of anyone's imagination. more like a bunch of sunday riders out on a century.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #31376
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
was gonna say, that was /barely/ a bump.
It was an epic climb by Florida standards.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #31377
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I agree, it looked like an average club ride or tour full of tourist and sport riders just cruising along.

We have a a few guys here that brag all the time how fast they are and all they do is ride with a bunch of retirees on their daily social ride then brag about how they killed it and put the hurt on them. When I ask them to come out and ride with the race team, they always have an excuse. The one guy brags he can TT at 35mph which is faster than any pro. I told him to take his cyclometer off KPH and put on MPH!
I think I may know that guy.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #31378
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,309
I'm really struggling over the bike shop issue. Having worked in one for 12 years and dealing with all sorts, I understand the issues at play.

Yet my local bike shop has still not received the Look Keo cleats I paid 35 dollars for 3 weeks ago. And hasn't bother to call. I have to stop in and ask. He's never installed a Campy Ultra Torque bottom bracket and started talking bollocks about BB30's and whatnot.

I have had constant problems with this FSA bottom bracket and chainset. It has creaked and groaned and now it is screaming like a French whore. I have a take-off Dura Ace chainset and bottom bracket, and I asked about him taking off the FSA junk and installing my Dura Ace crank/BB.

Since the FSA is compact and the DA is 53/39, I'll need a new Dura Ace chain. He looked at me in a very pissy way, which I understand. I'm bringing him a used chainset and a new DA bottom bracket not sourced from him. He get's to sell me a DA chain for 100 dollars. Sort of hemmed and hawed and started getting stroppy.

So I ordered a chain for 53 dollars online and a bottom bracket cup tool for 20 dollars and the tool for setting the preload on the DA crank arm for 2.50. I'll do it all myself. He could have made the labour and whatever bit of dosh on the sale of the chain. Now he makes nothing. I have also ordered a workstand. It is clear that I will have to do the bulk of the work myself. And this was not my plan. I told the pillion this wouldn't take up time like motorcycles and I wouldn't be in the garage monkeying with these things if I started back to cycling. I had a bike shop 5 blocks away, I could drop the sodding thing off, have a pint, come back and fetch it. I also told her I'd stop playing hockey this year if I started cycling. I suppose that didn't work out either. I may need a house mate here in a bit if this keeps up.

I'd rather him say, "okay, 35 dollars for the install and removal and 100 for the chain and pick it up late tomorrow." We could have had a good relationship. I don't mind paying for the expertise and customer service, I'm not getting either. The other really good shop is 45 minutes away and requires a border crossing.

I still have my LOOK cleats on order with him but I have just received a second set from England for 16 dollars.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #31379
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It was an epic climb by Florida standards.

+1

...and south Jersey.

Of course you need to be going 37mph to even thing about a KOM on around here, I live in the "hilly" section of the county and I climb a whopping 217 feet from high to low and back to high....over 6 miles.

These guys doing 7,000 feet in 20 miles per ride I would have to do something like 720 miles to match that in my area.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #31380
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post

You may want to try one of these,It's an older saddle and might not be on your radar. It's a San Marco Regal, very compfy.
Hmm, you're right; have not considered that one. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The secret bike mechanic

Observations about how people behave in bike shops
I could see this somewhere like "P" bike but not so much around here at the shops in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I know most of the mechanics by first name since they all race and/or work as mechanics at the races. At least two local shops have given me free reign to their tools and workstands if I walk in with an issue and they are tied up with another customer. They have also provided a wealth of tips and knowledge that I use in my own garage/workshop. It's all in building the relationship. Now, that's not to say that I haven't experienced some "Third Reich" style shops where I felt like I was a customer in the Soup Nazi episode from Seinfeld, but I will only give them business if I absolutely have no other avenue to sort out my problem.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: