Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 263 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #31381
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I could see this somewhere like "P" bike but not so much around here at the shops in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I know most of the mechanics by first name since they all race and/or work as mechanics at the races. At least two local shops have given me free reign to their tools and workstands if I walk in with an issue and they are tied up with another customer. They have also provided a wealth of tips and knowledge that I use in my own garage/workshop. It's all in building the relationship. Now, that's not to say that I haven't experienced some "Third Reich" style shops where I felt like I was a customer in the Soup Nazi episode from Seinfeld, but I will only give them business if I absolutely have no other avenue to sort out my problem.
Hang out for a while. They'll be in. They're ALWAYS in.

Went and rode my '4 dirt roads' loop yesterday. Quick 20 miler that never got more than 5mi from home.

I gotta tell ya... The more I ride that Altamira CX bike, the more I like it.

M
Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #31382
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Most of the shops in my town I avoid. They probably have ok service, I know some do not, but I do all my own wrenching so only come in for the odd part or two or to get some spokes cut.

One shop called an old girl friend of mine a "nice kickstand" when she brought her mtn bike in for help finding a part for it. Oh, she was pissed. If she didn't know the mechanic she was getting help from she would have walked out right there.

Biggest problem I have is the guys at the shop I go to know me well enough that sometimes they feel like they can look past me to the person who walked in behind me. That's gotten annoying, especially when I'm picking something up that I dropped $250 on.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #31383
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
No one wants to ride with a dick like this guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
was gonna say, that was /barely/ a bump. and that was NOT a peloton, by any stretch of anyone's imagination. more like a bunch of sunday riders out on a century.
I'm pretty sure I know the guy via the internet who posted that video. I suspect he'd be shocked that anyone took it seriously. His name is Kim Rowe - bicycletrailreview.com, Aurelius - lots of FL trail info on his site.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #31384
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That video is so self-promoting. At 5:30, the 3rd or 4th rider is on a MTB. After the supposed "3 minute" break, that MTB is at the sharp end of the "peloton". I don't think anyone was killing it. No one wants to ride with a dick like this guy.
Don't forget the stop sign he completely ignored at 4:42.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #31385
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
An occurrence so common here that it's actually expected.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #31386
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I wondered if anyone else saw that. I can't see to the left or the right in the video but it didn't appear that visibility was all that good. It could be they had some kind of road marshals there. Doubtful though.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #31387
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I wondered if anyone else saw that. I can't see to the left or the right in the video but it didn't appear that visibility was all that good. It could be they had some kind of road marshals there. Doubtful though.
People routinely ignore road signs here in Florida, especially cyclists. That's one of the things I like about living here.

In fact, there's a discussion taking place on a local cycling forum as to whether we should petition the state legislature to exclude cyclists from having to obey traffic laws. I'm all for it. Few of us obey the law anyway, and that would just make it official.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #31388
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
People routinely ignore road signs here in Florida, especially cyclists. That's one of the things I like about living here.

In fact, there's a discussion taking place on a local cycling forum as to whether we should petition the state legislature to exclude cyclists from having to obey traffic laws. I'm all for it. Few of us obey the law anyway, and that would just make it official.
I look better as a cyclist than a hood ornament. I suspect a rolling stop would be a great compromise.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #31389
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I look better as a cyclist than a hood ornament. I suspect a rolling stop would be a great compromise.
Rolling stops are what we usually do. Unless of course I'm trying for a KOM on Strava; then I just blow through every stop sign.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #31390
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Tell that to the guys in 'that thread' up in the Perfect Line

M
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #31391
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Tell that to the guys in 'that thread' up in the Perfect Line

M
*That thread* is just for shits and grins. We'll never convince them of anything. It's like convincing some people that a recumbent is a real bicycle and I still have to turn the pedals.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #31392
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
My next saddle will most likely be the Brooks Cambium for endurance rides.

Gummie,said he had two of the Regal saddles with Ti rails. Gummie ,You still got those Regal Saddles. I may want to buy one ,What color are they?
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #31393
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
First, the bookstore:

A clean bike is a happy bike:

Shiny

That pile of hogshyte FSA chainset.

Soon to be replaced with this:

I'll try and get one more ride tomorrow before the crankarm falls off and I plough my face into the stem.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #31394
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Most of the shops in my town I avoid. They probably have ok service, I know some do not, but I do all my own wrenching so only come in for the odd part or two or to get some spokes cut....

The nice thing I like about the shop I work at in Orrville is it being handed down from his father as a family business from back in the 60's. All assemblies and repairs are inspected by a 2nd person. People from neighboring towns drive past their local shops to come there. And we ell recumbents!!

Sunday a lady told me her bike was over shifting off the big ring so "Tigertown's" shop replaced the cable, then she took it back a 2nd time and the owner replaced the derailer, it worked but not to her liking. She asked me to check it out, when I looked it over, the cable was so slack the 1st trim never moved the derailer. The High limit screw was too tight to allow the 2nd trim to work properly either. You could force it to click but the derailer never budged. She's bringing it in to be done right.

Sadly, it's not the only incident like that which I have found over the years from that shop. In fact my wife was going to test ride a bike they had there and the pedal felt funny. I looked at it and noticed teeth marks from a vice on the crank arm and the arm was bent 2" above the pedal. When I brought it to someone's attention, I was basically told I didn't know what i was talking about. The other shop seems to only want to cater to racers and snub the tourist or or recreational rider and they too have a bad rep on work.

I've pretty much found out that if we do not have it, the average rider does not need it. We don't stock the high end Durace or XTR because our area doesn't support it but when needed we can get it in 2 days.

The sad part is, Tomorrow will be possibly my last day. Being seasonal, the end of the season is upon me. On the plus side, I've already started my new part time job as the parts manager at AES KTM on my days off from the shop learning their system. In the spring I have to decide if I stay or go back to the bicycle shop.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #31395
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Gummie,said he had two of the Regal saddles with Ti rails. Gummie ,You still got those Regal Saddles. I may want to buy one ,What color are they?
HAD two. Sold/traded em both.

Still have 1 Turbomatic Team

Drove over to the Haymarket Wed night CX practice like usual. Last week? 4 of us. This week? Half that. Seems that if the store owner isn't riding, neither is anyone else. IDK about y'all, but someone else's riding doesn't affect mine. My fitness is directly related to how much *I* ride, not how much the shop owner rides.

So J and I did a 20min interval, got some water, then started another one when it got too dark to see. Cut that interval short at 3 laps so instead of 'just below race pace' I pretty well hammered myself silly for 3 laps.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: