Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
These were sold as straight Ti footpegs - not Al. They look to be cast though! The other peg had 7 cracks in it - even though it looks OK. I dont think they sell them anymore. S3 should hire me as a product tester. This was 1 seasons use.
FWIW - I liked the pegs until they broke.
Interesting! Your pegs were made by the investment castings process from the and same wax molds S3 uses for the steel pegs. Here is a neat video that shows the investment cast titanium process used to make hammers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXFRRg8YMT0

Critical with titanium investment casting is control of the atmosphere during the pour and cooling, as the vid will show.

The grain structure visible in the rupture of your foot pegs is very coarse. That and your report of fatigue cracks tells me there was probably some nitrogen/oxygen contamination in the process. That's probably why the pegs are no longer available and S3 opted for the weldments from wrought and machined titanium.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
You know - as I was hucking my bike off the steep ledge with reckless abandon, right before I stuffed my front wheel smack info a tree stump and came to an abrupt hault, The thought that flashed through my mind was in fact: " I only hope these pegs dont have any grain imperfections from N2/O2 contamination..." Unfortunately - I broke a few ribs in that crash and they still bother me from time to time.

Seriously though - Thanks for the explanation - I knew they looked cast - but didn't know what process was used. Pretty cool really.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Raptor are far better than S3, but I guess producing rests in the same way as Raptor do wasnt cost effective for S3? Only problem with Raptor is that the teeth do round off after a lot of use, but can be resharpened a couple of times.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

An update on this project. The two sets of pegs I received from RYP have been designated for 4RT in silver and as Universal in red. I'm starting the Raga rebuild project reassembly today and noticed a difference in the frame clevis on the 2011 Raga. It uses clevises with 10mm, not 8mm holes. The 2008 GasGas eliptical-tube frame has 8mm clevises as is common or "universal" on most bikes, so I think this is a 2009/2010-plus change for GasGas. Not a bad idea at all to have drilled-out 10mm clevis pins.

A pic:

What is the same is the clevis width, the hole centerline to foot peg stop on the clevis, and the fact that the RQ pegs have 10mm through holes (the spacers step the holes down to 8mm). When I recommended the RQ (Sherco OEM) forged aluminum pegs, I had not yet fully mounted them. I will do so, and work out the required custom spacer design. You can mount these pegs right in without spacers, but it would be better to have a thin one on the downhill side so the peg doesn't run right on the clevis, and one on the uphill side for the return spring to wrap around.

motobene screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 05:33 AM
Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

With the MX type clevis pin mount, how do you take up any gaps between the sides of the rest and the mounting bracket? With bolts and spacers, it was very easy to tighten the bolts just enough so the mounting bracket clamped up against the spacer, which meant little or no play if you had just fitted new rests. I get the feeling the clevis idea has more to do with reducing costs, than improving function, which does seem pretty common nowadays.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #21
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
With the MX type clevis pin mount, how do you take up any gaps between the sides of the rest and the mounting bracket? With bolts and spacers, it was very easy to tighten the bolts just enough so the mounting bracket clamped up against the spacer, which meant little or no play if you had just fitted new rests. I get the feeling the clevis idea has more to do with reducing costs, than improving function, which does seem pretty common nowadays.
With spacers of course!

Your "feeling" has led you astray about the latest revision of GasGas foot peg clevises.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
With spacers of course!

Your "feeling" has led you astray about the latest revision of GasGas foot peg clevises.
Yeah, Biggest problem is; loading the metal (tightening bolts) that squeeze the brackets, is adding stresses which can crack the weld or material, which means the load to sheer (or is it shear) the bracket off the bike, is reduced...

Sorry that was my best "engineer speak" I am not that good at it. hehehee

With our lightweight bikes and frames, I have seen Peg mount brackets break off, so have MFG's so I believe that is why the pin and cotter pin was better idea than bolt with nut. My best and favorite pegs came with that setup, to replace original pegs and the bolts, I love them.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I would guess the main reason problems with cracks and breakages are relatively common on modern bikes, has more to do with the use of cheap materials, than anything related to the type of peg mounts fitted.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I would guess the main reason problems with cracks and breakages are relatively common on modern bikes, has more to do with the use of cheap materials, than anything related to the type of peg mounts fitted.
cheap materials huh?

so they make everything as minimalistic and lightweigh with better materials then they ever had, as they can...

It is ridiculous talk, even in the 70's people lost races and trials, trying to save weight, quit acting like "that era" is free of defects and dum-bass engineering and cheap companies. 12 pound mufflers hanging with less metal than I hold my beer with on the lawnmower, and you know damn well steel pegs bent and broke off frames in your "heyday" to...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The market for trials bikes worldwide is tiny, so unless build costs are kept as low as possible a manufacturer is likely to be out of business pretty quickly. One way of keeping build costs down is using less costly materials, and another sourcing the very lowest cost generic parts such as forks, brakes, carbs, suspension etc.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #26
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

The Universal version of the RQ pegs (there are some versions specific to models, like the 4RT) does not need any special spacers. You simply leave out the sleeve that comes with the kit and don't use the 8mm bolts and nuts, and instead use the OEM pin and washer and cotter pin:

And from the total rebuild of my 2011 Raga...

Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Update. The silver anodized RQ pegs I go had a bit of added flash from forging on the frame clevis contact surface. I belt sanded a wee bit off. A 2-day event resulted in the peg angle being slightly on the sagging side. I will remove the pegs and machine them for a steel or titanium frame contact button to bring the angle back to just above level where I like it.

The red Universal RQ pegs I got and sold to KrAzy did not have the flash line and should fit better. Perhaps it was a production difference, with the red ones being made later?

The feel of these pegs is great. I like having more peg to stand on too as these are longer from pin to curved outside. They seem durable as the event was 2 muddy days and I whacked things more frequently than I'd like, including myself
Old 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
SherpaT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the review motobene.

I got a set for my air-cooled bike, and they bolted on without any modifications. The right peg is angled up slightly, but I'll ride it a little before filing the peg.

I only rode it briefly, but the platform seems much more comfortable. Nice upgrade.

Before

After
SherpaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

That's cool. The universal version fit the old TR34! That's a nice TR34, BTW. Those old narrow pegs are such a pain.

So far the two of us that bought these pegs are really liking them. Several events. No problems. Very comfortable with the nice side benefit of being likely the lightest available alternative.