ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #2011
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
monday ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by maffud View Post
Hey guys. Just wanted to say hello. I'm new to the Charlotte area (and this board). I ride a WR450 for off-road fun, and an FJR1300 when it's all pavement.
I just moved to the area about a month ago from Phoenix, AZ. It's been hard to find time to ride due to moving-related stuff, but I am starting to see some free weekend days ahead. I am really looking forward to riding in a new part of the country.

It will be tough for me to do true adventure rides, since my WR is really only good for off-road riding and short stints on pavement, and the FJR is definitely only for pavement (with me on it, anyway). But I am hoping to find some rides I can manage here.

-Dan
Welcome Sir-
Let me know when you would like to do some off road exploring, I am not much for slab riding myself.

If anyone wants to join or meet up, I am planning on an AM mountain ride on MONDAY........planning on doing the regular maple-sally, old 105 area fast gravel sections, grabbing lunch and heading back early. I will be trucking up myself.
knybanjo-let me know if your still up in the area!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #2012
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
knybanjo-let me know if your still up in the area!
I have to be back at work on Monday.

This weekend is a little rally/campout thing for old XS11s up at the Iron Horse and I just got mine back on the road a few weeks ago. Next weekend is the Nottarally in Hot Springs, I hope to haul my old DR650 up there to ride some 4x4 trails (if I get it back together in time, parts on order)

Any other Charlotteans heading up to the Nottarally?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #2013
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Unfortunately, only one of my kids will ride with me, and that's the one who will be out of town.
Next time....
Edit : this was responding to augiedog. Still learning how to use this tapatalk thing.
Unfortunately I have to work on Monday, but thanks for the offer Boike.

2006 WR450F
2006 FJR1300
2011 KLR650
maffud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #2014
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by maffud View Post
Unfortunately, only one of my kids will ride with me, and that's the one who will be out of town.
Next time....
Semi-related question. How old is old enough for kids on the back of a motorcycle? Is it strictly related to maturity, trust and common sense or are there laws/guidelines around this?
Thanks
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #2015
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Semi-related question. How old is old enough for kids on the back of a motorcycle? Is it strictly related to maturity, trust and common sense or are there laws/guidelines around this?
Thanks
You may find that opinions vary about that.
77 R100RS
"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JMforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #2016
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Thanks
I'm a LEO and my understanding is that the passenger's feet must be able to reach the foot pegs. but as far as I know, there is no minimum age requirement.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #2017
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks
It varies by state. In NC, according to the AMA website, there are no age restrictions. My son started riding with me when he was 6 (in AZ). I had to buy gear for him while we were in England because nobody sold Street gear in that size in the states.

2006 WR450F
2006 FJR1300
2011 KLR650
Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #2018
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Thinking more about this, I realized my kid wasn't 6, he was 7, and almost 8 when he started riding with me. And at the time, he had his own motorcycle, too, (a small MXer) so that's certainly not a typical case.

2006 WR450F
2006 FJR1300
2011 KLR650
Old 09-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #2019
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
My son is 9 and rides on the back with me fairly often. I haven't taken him on any very extended rides yet, but he's been riding with me or on his own XR50 since he was 5.

The laws in the states where I have lived have all more or less been the same - they have to ride on the passenger seat and be able to reach the pegs.

The kid has ALWAYS loved bikes

Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #2020
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
My son is 9 and rides on the back with me fairly often. I haven't taken him on any very extended rides yet, but he's been riding with me or on his own XR50 since he was 5.

The laws in the states where I have lived have all more or less been the same - they have to ride on the passenger seat and be able to reach the pegs.

Awesome Picture!
77 R100RS
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #2021
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
looks as it is going to be a sunday ride. we will meet at the Bessmer city exit, (exit 14 off 85 south at the BP beside the Bojangles at 9:00 for a breakfast, kickstands up at 9:30. Anyone intrested should be fine on a large dualsport,touring, or sport-touring style bike. looks like there will be a xr 1200 sporster, an fjr or two, a murader, a couple vstroms or two, a trumph, a bmw, a possible ktm a duke, a honda, and who knows what else. lookin forward to seeing everyone. I'll be there around 8:30 or so.
I'm in for Sunday!
77 R100RS
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #2022
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post

I agree, awesome pic!

Although mine (and me) are much older I've found if you start them young they'll always have a little bit of motorcycling in them. And the right kind of motorcycling, not the "I'm going to be a (rebel, pirate, whatever)" kind of biker they may turn into at a later age.

Heck, my kid has more bikes in the garage than I do...
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #2023
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 724
sunday ride

lookin forward to riding with everyone tomorrow. we are meeting at exit 14 off 85 south in gastonia at 8:30 for breakfast at the bojangles and BP leaving out at 9:30 sharp. Come and join us if you can. I will be an all pavement ride.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #2024
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
lookin forward to riding with everyone tomorrow. we are meeting at exit 14 off 85 south in gastonia at 8:30 for breakfast at the bojangles and BP leaving out at 9:30 sharp. Come and join us if you can. I will be an all pavement ride.
Getting my riding gear ready. See you in the morning.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 AM   #2025
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Just pulled on the boots and made my first cup of coffee. Looking forward to meeting everyone this morning.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote